Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd September 2011, 11:04 AM   #1
CodyLoco

Default Online Business Tools For Small Businesses

Hi guys

I'm working on a small business tools directory website and I was hoping some of you could give me some feedback... It's clearly in it's infancy- and I'd like to hear any suggestions on what you think I should add/change/remove that would potentially make the site more useful for a business owner that might be interested in the services it is offering...

Any criticism is welcome just hope it's constructive!

My site is at www.ebiztoolkit.com

Many thanks in advance!
Cody

CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
EricB
VIP Contributor

Hi Cody,

I really like the layout of your site, it looks clean. I also like the idea behind your site of putting different tools small business owners can use in one place. Although my opinion may be skewed because I just developed a site for employee work scheduling for small business owners.

One recommendation I have is to give an easy way for people who have developed small business tools to contact you in order to be listed on your site directory...hint hint All I saw was the contact information at the bottom of your site, but if you want to get a more comprehensive listing of small business tools, have an easy way for those people to contact you.

Keep up the good work, your site is pretty nice!

EDIT: One other thing I thought of is you may want to look into getting an SSL certificate if people will be registering for your site and sending an email. Not sure if it's necessary yet though because right now there's minimal transmission of personal data.

Eric

Last edited by EricB; 22nd September 2011 at 11:40 AM.
EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:46 PM   #3
CodyLoco

Thanks Eric-

The site IS an affiliate site - but I'm trying to make a 'fair' site - not a top 10 ranked by who pays the most site, if that means anything to you (this top webhosting sites...). Because of this so far I've been adding services manually, and contacting them afterwards to let them know i've listed them - still lots to do of course. I do plan on adding a full help page detailing how they can list their products, the benefits and things like our reviews policy, etc, but once I start getting found by the marketers...

I actually do want to create a serious, useful resource for small biz owners. I find a lot of people I talk to have no idea about the possibilities that are offered for small businesses to either streamline or increase their productivity or use tools that are usually reserved for a big business. I recently talked to a medium-sized company (does a few million in business a year) and they had no idea that you could set up a VoIP system like ringcentral in half an hour to give you extension numbers, for example...

My idea is to let the actual users provide the feedback, my site (and the listing owner's side) is only to provide the facts - how well they are ranked is determined by what users tell them.

As far as the SSL, I think it's unnecessary right now because generally no sensitive information is going to be transmitted over the site - and if something is sent out via the inquiry form (which I think is what you are referring to) it's not much different than a normal user sending an unsecured email from their desktop.

Thanks for the reply - anything else you can think of let me know, and let the company you did the site for know they can talk to me about adding their service - we can work something out!

Old 23rd September 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
EricB
VIP Contributor

I think you know I really like the idea behind your site. I do think it's a great idea to have the ability to have real people review the different small business tools and never skew those results. In my opinion, in order for it to be really useful to small and mid sized business owners you'll need to get even more tools listed. One option is to go out and find really great tools for small business owners to use and list them yourself. Then as your traffic to your site increases and those business tools you've listed begin to see the value from your site, in the form of people visiting from your site, you could either make the change of beginning to charge them, or begin charging only for new business tools to be listed. If you have enough traffic going to your site you'll probably begin to get people wanting to contact you to be listed on your site and willing to pay for it. I'm probably telling you what you're already planning, but I figured I would put it out there in case it was helpful.

One thing I noticed was I registered for your site, however after I'm logged in, I don't see any links (or at least they aren't noticeable to me) to change my profile. I noticed in the forums it looks like you can have a profile picture, but I did not see any place to upload one. Not sure if I'm just missing it, but maybe if you could add a separate Navigation button for updated your account after you are logged in.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 05:45 AM   #5
kayetaylor

Obviously your site is offering services. I suggest you to do some content analysis. I saw your content but it is not enough to attract more visitors which is the main goal of every site offering services since it is the reason to have more potential clients.

kayetaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2011, 10:24 AM   #6
CodyLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayetaylor View Post
Obviously your site is offering services. I suggest you to do some content analysis. I saw your content but it is not enough to attract more visitors which is the main goal of every site offering services since it is the reason to have more potential clients.
What would you suggest I add or remove - that's mainly what I wanted help with is how I can push more people to the listing owner's sites?

Old 9th October 2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Neil D

Hi Cody,

I thought the look and feel of your site was great and I really liked the design and colours used. One thing I noticed however was that some of the pages did take a bit of time to load.

In terms of content, could you have more in terms of reviews and testimonials related to the products?

Old 9th October 2011, 11:23 PM   #8
kayetaylor

Change or add About eBizToolkit.com Page, i saw your About eBizToolkit.com at the lower part of your website it's too short, it is better if you create a full article 400-500 words using your main keyword which is you can choose from here: tool kit, business tool kit that keywords are market keywords and it will help you in indexing by google. You can even use both but only one in 1 article then another keyword for other article take note you have to mention the keyword 4times inside your article and make an interlinking(linked to you mainpage/homepage)that's the rule of good article. For further question just ask me, I am willing to help.

kayetaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 01:44 AM   #9
kerrylinux

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyLoco View Post

As far as the SSL, I think it's unnecessary right now because generally no sensitive information is going to be transmitted over the site - and if something is sent out via the inquiry form (which I think is what you are referring to) it's not much different than a normal user sending an unsecured email from their desktop.
You couldn't start too early building trust into your website. And that would (IMHO) include to offer a SSL protected login.

At the moment your login does only grant access to the forum and so you do what all forums do, give an unprotected login.. But very soon you'll have users that wish to send their inquiry protected, so it'll be prudent to plan ahead.

kerrylinux is offline   Reply With Quote