Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th July 2011, 05:24 AM   #11
Melva

A very good list!

Old 26th July 2011, 09:32 PM   #12
regann19

Nice read. Right now I would say Delegator is most important for me. I like having too much control in my business and its slowing me down. But how do you find good people that care as much as you do. You just have to develop good relationships with them I guess, and have the money to pay them. I work too long of hours for what gets accomplished and I hoping to get this part of Entrepreneurship down.

regann19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 12:24 AM   #13
PromotionalGuy

Regann,

There is another way that will reduce your stress while getting the job done.

First off, you can't find good people that care as much as you do. It's your business not theirs so they will not have the passion or drive you bring to the table.

Simply put, they have no vested interested. They can't. It's not their dream to see your business do well.

But what you can find is people willing to be trained to follow each system you have setup in your business.

Training individuals to work a system is a whole lot easier then hiring them to see if they fit in.

So first look at every task you do from the start of business to the close of business.

Write down everything you do step by step and put together an operations manual.

In the beginning it will take time to get it together, but once you have it all down in writing you will be ready to start training your staff each system.

So what are some tasks we can break down into bite size systems?

1. Gathering checks, making out the deposit slip and then going to the bank.

2. Answering the phone, after how many rings, first words out of staff's mouths, ending the call and what are the last words that should come out of staff's mouth.

3. Gathering the mail, time mail arrives, sorting the mail, & etc.

This is just an example, but if you take your daily tasks and look at them, each one can be broken down into micro systems. Once you have your systems in place you start the process of training and evaluating each staff members performance.

Then the biggest benefit to you is that once your staff is trained, you then become free to come and go.

When your people are working your systems they will get things done. If it doesn't get done, all you have to do is pull out your operations manual look up the task and it's system find out where your employee got off track.

The other benefit is when an employee is out your system will still be functioning because each person at your business has been trained to work your systems.

This cuts back on down time and others not knowing what to do when so and so was out sick.

Don't forget your systems must always be reviewed and updated. The reason for this is some systems can do with a change to see if it can make the task more efficient.

Being previously involved with Franchises and their system of systems, it seems tedious until one learns how each system works and then masters it.

If you get the chance buy the book, "Work the System" by Sam Carpenter. He shows how he systematized is small business and it turned his failing business around and into a multi million dollar a year business.

Peach and Success to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regann19 View Post
Nice read. Right now I would say Delegator is most important for me. I like having too much control in my business and its slowing me down. But how do you find good people that care as much as you do. You just have to develop good relationships with them I guess, and have the money to pay them. I work too long of hours for what gets accomplished and I hoping to get this part of Entrepreneurship down.

PromotionalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 06:01 PM   #14
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromotionalGuy View Post
Regann,

There is another way that will reduce your stress while getting the job done.

First off, you can't find good people that care as much as you do. It's your business not theirs so they will not have the passion or drive you bring to the table.

Simply put, they have no vested interested. They can't. It's not their dream to see your business do well.

But what you can find is people willing to be trained to follow each system you have setup in your business.

Training individuals to work a system is a whole lot easier then hiring them to see if they fit in.

So first look at every task you do from the start of business to the close of business.

Write down everything you do step by step and put together an operations manual.

In the beginning it will take time to get it together, but once you have it all down in writing you will be ready to start training your staff each system.

So what are some tasks we can break down into bite size systems?

1. Gathering checks, making out the deposit slip and then going to the bank.

2. Answering the phone, after how many rings, first words out of staff's mouths, ending the call and what are the last words that should come out of staff's mouth.

3. Gathering the mail, time mail arrives, sorting the mail, & etc.

This is just an example, but if you take your daily tasks and look at them, each one can be broken down into micro systems. Once you have your systems in place you start the process of training and evaluating each staff members performance.

Then the biggest benefit to you is that once your staff is trained, you then become free to come and go.

When your people are working your systems they will get things done. If it doesn't get done, all you have to do is pull out your operations manual look up the task and it's system find out where your employee got off track.

The other benefit is when an employee is out your system will still be functioning because each person at your business has been trained to work your systems.

This cuts back on down time and others not knowing what to do when so and so was out sick.

Don't forget your systems must always be reviewed and updated. The reason for this is some systems can do with a change to see if it can make the task more efficient.

Being previously involved with Franchises and their system of systems, it seems tedious until one learns how each system works and then masters it.

If you get the chance buy the book, "Work the System" by Sam Carpenter. He shows how he systematized is small business and it turned his failing business around and into a multi million dollar a year business.

Peach and Success to you.
Very well put. This is what franchising system is all about.

I would add that while no employee will care about your business as much as you would there are ways to motivate them by giving them a "stake" in the outcome. For example. tie heir bonus to increase in sales, if that's what you are after.

I had written a blog post on how to motivate employees at low cost that shows several ideas on motivating employees. You can find it here - http://www.angelbusinessadvisors.com...ate-employees/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 08:35 PM   #15
regann19

Hey Thanks PromotionalGuy, I appreciate the response. Very good tips and I will check out that book.

Last edited by regann19; 27th July 2011 at 08:48 PM.
regann19 is offline   Reply With Quote