Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th December 2010, 01:11 PM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Default Facebook PPC

Does anyone have tried Facebook PPC? How does this thing works?

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th December 2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Its fairly self explanatory as you go through the sign up process, but basically you set up campaigns trying to target an audience based on demographics (age, location, male vs female, etc)

I've tested several campaigns trying to hone the ads into the right demographics but have never really seen much interest from the standpoint of the ads even being clicked on. With few if any of my ads being clicked on, it hasn't cost much and at least I'm in the loop of what they offer. Just hasn't worked well for me once, but cost has been very minimal because of the (very) low ctr ...

If anyone is running a campaign where they are getting a lot of traffic from it, I'm all ears and interested in hearing about what works ...

Old 9th December 2010, 12:18 PM   #3
sometechieguy

I haven't tried Facebook PPC myself but it's something that I'm interested in. I've heard that people generally get more revenue from affiliate marketing though.

sometechieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 11:02 AM   #4
cfbrew2

I tried it a while back. I was given an $100 credit to spend on Facebook Ads. I could not determine that I received any benefits. The one nice thing about FB advertising is that you can select what demographics you want the ad appear in. I do not think people are looking for advertising when they are on Facebook. I think you get people that click on the ads out of curiosity. I have had much better results with Google ppc.

cfbrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 03:49 PM   #5
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default social media marketing

Now that I have nailed the Adwords thing down I am looking at Social Media, its all the rage and every small business journal touts "this is where you need to be"...well what I have learned so far is that people on facebook/twitter want nothing to do with your sales pitch, and I dont blame them! Social media is about building personal relationships and then telling them periodically that you sell XYZ. Its a subtle approach, a CPC program on any social media will be ignored.

Old 23rd December 2010, 05:06 AM   #6
PTF

I think Johnnylew has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Social media gives you access to lots of people - but they're not generally shopping. Based on my experience with a wide range of clients in a number of different markets, I can point to very few who are actually monetising their social media activity.

That said, there are two examples, both in the hospitality market, where social media is generating tangible profit. The first is a themed bar, where every night after closing the manager uploads photos of the night's events, announces awards for best dancers, best outfits etc, and frequently posts "random" comments about whatever is on his mind. He has a good number of followers on Facebook, all of whom actively interact with his posts and he's building great loyalty which can be tracked back to the cash register.

The other example is a hotel using Facebook PPC (see, I got to the point eventually!). They're converting leads via AdWords at a consistent £20-£25, but on Facebook whilst the numbers are smaller, the cost is only around £15, and falling as we test more ads and messages. With a well-targeted demographic and ads that focus heavily on the lifestyle aspect of the hotel, he's getting good clicks and making a profit on the exercise.

Your mileage may vary, but I think for hospitality type businesses there's likely to be a quicker return on investment than for many others.

Old 28th December 2010, 07:22 AM   #7
EamonnTurley

Default Social media

I tend to agree ppc would not work on Facebook type sites. but how does Facebook generate money. sorry maybe obvious but not to me

EamonnTurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 07:50 AM   #8
duckoo

I would better try Google PPC rather than FB, more specific and targeted to my audience.

duckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 05:31 AM   #9
jwhitebiz

Default fb

There is a lot of great traffic on facebook. I usually switch to CPM once my ctr is up. If you're not converting, your images or adcopy or targeting are off. You can drive HUGE volume on facebook very easily because there is no silly quality score relevancy stuff you have to deal with.

Get 10-20 images, that are funny, cool, interesting, catch attention, along with 3-10 adcopies to test. Then segment out campaigns to various demographics. You have to keep the images fresh somewhat too, and sometimes adcopies, but it definitely works.

jwhitebiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 08:02 PM   #10
jsingerston

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitebiz View Post
There is a lot of great traffic on facebook. I usually switch to CPM once my ctr is up. If you're not converting, your images or adcopy or targeting are off. You can drive HUGE volume on facebook very easily because there is no silly quality score relevancy stuff you have to deal with.

Get 10-20 images, that are funny, cool, interesting, catch attention, along with 3-10 adcopies to test. Then segment out campaigns to various demographics. You have to keep the images fresh somewhat too, and sometimes adcopies, but it definitely works.
Jwhitebiz is right.

You can get good traffic from Facebook advertising. You just have to learn how to do it before you will see good results. You have to choose your demographics properly for the ads you are running or choose the right ads for the right demographic. You have to change up the ads because people's eyes become blind to seeing the same ad all the time.

I have found Facebook to be more economical than Google Adwords although Google traffic converts better in my experience.

jsingerston is offline   Reply With Quote