Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd March 2010, 03:10 AM   #1
Allectus

Default Social Media

Is social media the right marketing tool for your business?

Some might say yes and others will say no.

I gravitate toward the no, but I do keep an open mind as I try to grasp the whole concept of Internet marketing and how that works for my business before I tackle the social media phenomena. I understand that there are those who spend a significant amount of time on the Internet looking for services, solutions and general information. There are also those who still look for services, solutions and information the old fashioned way. What is the old fashion way?

My particular business may or may not generate clients via Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Delicious or any other social media outlet because traditionally mine is an industry based on references and face to face meetings. I could be wrong as I know there are 4 generational cohorts on the planet where the variations of their information search styles differ. In other words, each generation might source my services differently where marketing my business requries a portion of marketing effort to each cohort.

Business owners should take a closer look at their marketing efforts as well as truly understand the business you own in order to not only market it better but make proper decisions related to where you might spend your marketing dollars. I say this of course after creating an Allectus fan page on facebook and realizing that everyone, and I mean everyone not only has a facebook page but there are soooo many businesses with fan pages. I wonder, are these fan pages really worth it? Is social media the right marketing tool for your business? Ironically, I am going to meet with a social media consultant in two weeks so he can tell me (or sell me) how this social media thing works.

Oh yea, don't forget to check out my fan page on Facebook: Allectus / Luis Luarca

Fan pages are different from requesting to become someone's Facebook friend.

Thanks everyone,

Old 23rd March 2010, 12:48 AM   #2
AudioDude

let me get this out there, "social media" marketing is no different than traditional marketing at the core. It's just a new tool to do the same job.

Facebook has a huge user base and the cost of setting up a fanpage is low. If you start to see any ROI from the fan page, keep going with it. Otherwise you can ax the program.

There are a lot of tricks to using social media as a marketing vehicle, but you still need to have good content.

AudioDude is offline   Reply With Quote