Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th June 2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Default Is There Any Form Of SEO To a blog page? How Do You Make It Popular?

I've recently started a blog and was wondering how to increase traffic. All I can do is post articles and wait. Would link building be helping?

Also is there a way to hook up your blog to Google webmaster tools? Where would I put the HTML verification file?

Mike.Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th June 2011, 01:54 PM   #2
joeleitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Bean View Post
I've recently started a blog and was wondering how to increase traffic. All I can do is post articles and wait. Would link building be helping?

Also is there a way to hook up your blog to Google webmaster tools? Where would I put the HTML verification file?

I'm pretty sure you can use Google Analytics on a blog if you're hosting it yourself. Finding ways to send traffic to you blog should help it become popular if you have interesting content. What is your blog about? Perhaps we can come up with some promotion ideas for you.

joeleitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

It's not very exciting to most, a lot of people like to know details and really don't know how to properly use medical equipment. That is what this blog is about here it is if you want to take a look.

http://site.medsupplycentral.com/blog

Old 28th June 2011, 04:13 PM   #4
BSI

I have had one blog up for over 2 years and yes you can use google analytics and you can sign up your domain for a webmaster account. Google analytics gives you a code that you must insert in the footer (if I remember correctly) and all I did was use a footer plugin so the code would be on each page of the site. You do have to create an html or text file (can't remember which) for verification purposes but that is easy and just upload it to the root of the site using your ftp client.

As far as traffic I have done a number of things, including commenting on other blogs, using forums like this one, posting links to articles on social media sites such as bizsugar and linkedin. Where is your customers or readers and that is where you should be also.

Hope that helps, if you need more details let me know and I can login into to my site and get them for you.

BSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Johndiv23

You can do a bit of SEO to improve more traffic or try promoting it on Facebook.

Johndiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 03:26 PM   #6
baresull

I had no problem getting Google Analytics on my blog. It worked right away.

I bet these next 2 suggestions have been covered in other post, but here goes...

I like Woopra for live traffic analysis. The free version gives me the info I want in real time.

SEO has helped me get traffic as well. I use the HeadSpace2 plugin in Wordpress. It took a bit to figure it out, but the time invested was well worth it to me. Just an example, I wrote a post explaining how to easily remove the spyware "Security Center 2012" and noticed 6 hits within 2 hours directly from google searches. When I googled the term myself and was surprised to see myself on the 1st page.

Good luck!!

baresull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 03:20 AM   #7
3Aces

Send a message via Skype™ to 3Aces

I think for a blog of the kind you have mentioned, the best thing would be to find med related blogs and post their aggressively. DO NOT spam, just do intelligent, helpful posts and ask questions from others. This will also help you understand what people are looking for.

You can go for article marketing to up your overall Google rank by a little bit and get some traffic on the side.

3Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Mike.Bean
VIP Contributor

Thank you for all your help, I will start applying some of this knowledge and hopefully I get results.

One more quick questions for everyone. Have you spent any money on your blog or has it all been organic? I am going for organic in this situation.

Also what would be the best way to go about it organically? Or will it be what most of the posts have already said?

Old 8th July 2011, 01:49 AM   #9
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Default Re:

Use SEO methods to increase your blog's visibility. Have more links and link backs, use context specific keywords, have your own newsletter, podcast, have RSS feed. The methods are endless. Use them and tell us how yuo're doing.

Happy blogging.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 05:50 PM   #10
transpanish

Incoming links are important. Meta tags as well. If you use Wordpress, there is a plug-in which is pretty good for entering the title, description and kws, the name is All in One SEO Pack

transpanish is offline   Reply With Quote