Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th February 2009, 12:52 PM   #11
carpet guy

Default door hangers

DO NOT use val-pak unless you like throwing your money away 50,000 flyers and one call !!!!!!!!!!!
you tell me ?
was i ripped off by the company or the rep ?
tried passing flyer door to door got ten calls from a thousend flyers same offer ,same flyer.

carpet guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th February 2009, 11:16 AM   #12
aaron4unitruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktgbiz View Post
I've built a number of businesses using door hangers and highly recommend them. Cost for 1000 should be right around $50.00

It's about two things:
1). Continually putting them out.
2). The heading on the flyer or door hanger. (Never put your really cool business name at the top of the flyers, always put a heading, a title that grabs peoples attention and offers them something for acting).

Yep, defintely like using flyers (door hangers).

BTW, I never actually used the type with a cut in the paper to fit around the door knob. I always used 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper folded in half.

Keep us posted.
I am in the printing business and have not yet found a company that will print 1000 door hangers for $50. The lowest prices I found were over $200. Could you please refer me to the company you have been purchasing these from?

aaron4unitruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 11:01 AM   #13
WhoWee

Door hangers can be useful.

You'll find it most economical in areas where homes are placed close together...developments, condos, and townhouses.

You will also determine that the higher the value of the home...the least accepted the practice/response.

I have a lot of marketing experience. If you intend to target higher income homes with a door hanger...place them in small quantities...maybe 50 per run. Instead of a full blown ad, use a teaser and focus the message on a pending event. For instance...(off the top of my head)...Dear Home Owner, my name is ________, I'm arranging personal appointments with other members of your community on _______ between ___ and ___ to discuss important security issues...if this time will not be convenient, please call me directly at (cell#) to arrange a specific appt time. Show up at the time and place you specified...make a log of the time and places you designated on a spreadsheet. Take the log with you on the appointment. If you only have addresses, leave room to write in their names and other details on your sheet and leave an area for notes about observations you make while hanging the info.

Again, this was the first thing off the top of my head...use the format to fit your needs.

1.) Limited quantity to ensure ability to follow up
2.) Identify yourself personally and let them know you're working in community
3.) Use a pending event to capture their interest
4.) Focus on making an appointment...not a sale...don't give too many details
5.) Specify a time that you will be there...if they don't call - you have every reason to believe you have an appointment...give them your contact info to alter time - it will also save you from embarrassment if they aren't interested.
6.) If you show up and they aren't expecting you...have your log in hand, a business card and request an appointment...if they won't schedule...pull out your best piece of literature and jump into a brief presentation...you have nothing to lose if the door is closing...but focus on scheduling a time to meet WITH ALL DECISION MAKERS PRESENT!!!

The bottom line on door hangers...have realistic expectations - they won't make a sale on their own...use them to create interest and get you INTO the door. Control the quantity to insure follow up ...don't waste opportunity.

WhoWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 03:59 AM   #14
jarmaine

Door Hangers can prove to be a really effective marketing tool. You need proper planning and a good strategy. Think about what areas you will be targeting for these door hangers, is your area a small community or a large one? What is the demographic? You'd also have to ensure that you have valuable content. Your message should have an impact and make an impression to those who will see it. A nice promo or offer can also be introduced using door hangers.

jarmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2009, 05:19 PM   #15
paulcline7

Can you let me know what door hanger distribution service you used? Can't find one in St. Petersburg, FL/Tampa area

paulcline7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 11:36 AM   #16
DynamicPrinter

I print door hangers for a few customers.
They use them in neighborhoods they are presently working in and they usually come out ahead. Depending on your business 1 or 2 orders can pay for the run.
The only way your going to find out if they work for you is to try it and monitor it. Keep the design simple, have all your contact information easy to find and leave a spot so you can enter the name of your present customer (you may want to get permission) for a reference.
Door hangers are a cheap way to advertise in a small area, I don't know about $50 bucks but they can work - usually $2-300 depending on the hanger itself.

DynamicPrinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 12:54 AM   #17
multimediocrity

I would say that these work best indoors, such as in an apartment building or college dorm. Using them outside causes them to blow away, be overlooked, and exposes them to the elements.

multimediocrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 04:55 PM   #18
proprint1

Default Door Hangers

One more thing, It's all about the offer & being consistant with the distribution. Print a good offer & plan on distributing 500 once every 5 weeks to the same area (depending on what you are offering) & make sure to do it at least 5 times, so that your name becomes familiar to the home owners.

proprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 07:44 AM   #19
FrankKosicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
I was curious if anybody on here has used promotional door hangers as a marketing tool, and if so, if they thought they were an effective one.

I am starting up a business that is selling a safety related product to home owners. I was considering doing most of my advertising using direct mail and my website, but this seems like it might be a viable option as well. The cost seems to be in the same ballpark if not a bit cheaper than direct mail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqa2005 View Post
I don't recommend this (even though we print them) because of distribution issues. Who's going to hang them? Sometimes you pay someone to this and they end up in a dumpster.
Yeah, I've actually never seen them as an effective marketing tool. I'd rather stick to give-away-thing like flyers, keychains, pens etc. or print some (interesting!!!) posters for a more visual marketing.
Cheers!

FrankKosicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 08:28 AM   #20
FrankKosicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicPrinter View Post
I print promotional door hangers for a few customers.
They use them in neighborhoods they are presently working in and they usually come out ahead. Depending on your business 1 or 2 orders can pay for the run.
The only way your going to find out if they work for you is to try it and monitor it. Keep the design simple, have all your contact information easy to find and leave a spot so you can enter the name of your present customer (you may want to get permission) for a reference.
Door hangers are a cheap way to advertise in a small area, I don't know about $50 bucks but they can work - usually $2-300 depending on the hanger itself.
Yeah, I think they can be of use in such a neighbourhood environment. However, this marketing method looks like teleshopping to me. I don't know, but personally I'd always be afraid or at least concerned about companies that tag your home's doors with hangers... It seems a little bit intruvise to me. But of course, that is just my humble opinion, thou shallst do as you concern!

FrankKosicz is offline   Reply With Quote