Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th October 2006, 02:29 AM   #11
LimCS

I tried offer link baiting services to my clients before, for a portion of its price. But had the following problems:

1) Not every website can develop a linkbait to suit its theme. In fact, most website is difficult to be 'linkbaitable'.

2) Clients are paying a bunch. They want a guarantee (of digg frontpage, and del.icio.us popular page, or traffic burst, or number of backlinks). Nothing can be guaranteed. Even the most developed linkbait could not guarantee those things.

And, due to the insurmountable work (and research), as well as all the hassle, I pulled it off.

LimCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th October 2006, 10:16 AM   #12
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

To be fair to Andy he does start out the article:

Quote:
Yes, it's just a new term for an old concept,
So, yeah, its just another word for marketing/promotion.

Now, I'm not opposed to link baiting as a service and believe that links are an important part of an SEO campaign, but all this focus on "link baiting" seems to be taking the industry a few steps back. We are just not finally moving a way from measuring only rankings in favor of the more success oriented approach of measuring conversions, business growth, etc.

Link baiting leads us to start measuring incoming links while ignoring the other factors that are truly important. While $20,000 might bring in a large number of links, do those links produce conversions? Yeah, there is a branding aspect to this, but IMO branding is not what most business need, nor is it something they can survive on.

If the goal of the link baiting is to drive sales, increase conversions and improve ROI then great, but I don't get that impression at all.

Old 10th October 2006, 12:51 AM   #13
Matt McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0n3y View Post
If the goal of the link baiting is to drive sales, increase conversions and improve ROI then great, but I don't get that impression at all.
Good points, Stoney. I think the link baiters would be the first to admit that the goal is simply attention. At least I hope they would.

Question is: Do the clients realize this? Again, hope so.

(BTW, sounds like an article just waiting to be written. hint, hint....)

Old 10th October 2006, 10:11 AM   #14
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I did (sort of) a few months back.

Old 10th October 2006, 08:58 PM   #15
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Well, link baiting sounds like you trick the visitors into linking to your site.

When you need to be providing value to your visitors (and anyone who links to your piece).

I'd figure link baiting is the marketing speak of link building with quality content.

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 02:06 AM   #16
mbm

So, link baiting is very important ... to bite a pat from the customers' revenue Is not it?

SEO and SEM and all tricks used to bring visitors to the customers' web sites contribute just a small part from the entire marketing, I think.
While it shall not be overlooked it shall not be made so extremely important too.
If one does not have good product or service, the only benefit from all SEO tricks will be a one time customer, most probably disapointed.

Old 11th October 2006, 01:33 PM   #17
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I think one of the ideas behind link baiting is they can generate some permanent links to a site that are generally from related sites. The specific links themselves may not generate conversions and st0n3y I agree the focus is more on link count, but those links can improve visibility for the site as a whole and help search visibility branding, etc.

I'd much prefer a higher conversion rate than more traffic, but there's still something to be said for traffic, particularly search traffic.

I think link baiting can easily bring up some negative connotations as being an seo/m trick and the word baiting does call up the idea of bait and switch, which isn't really an asociation you'd want alongside something you do.

At it's core though link baiting is about building content that people will find useful. True link baiting is going to involve more than just the content. A certain amount of viral marketing probably goes along with it.

I'd prefer to think of it as building linkable or link worthy content instead of link baiting. And it's having content that is worthy of linking to is important when competing for certain keywords.

I'm sure once the general public becomes more aware of the term 'link baiting' we will be seeing all sorts of companies offering link baiting services. At the moment they're still profitting from search engine submission services and link exchange networks so they probably don't need to add another service to the mix, especially given that link baiting will cost more to set up and put in place.

Beyond the scammers I think there will also be link baiting services and probably already are though, they may be called by another name. I might offer content building services for example though market it with the idea that quality content is necessary to gain links to the site.

Old 15th October 2006, 12:54 AM   #18
Webmaster T

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejenn View Post
Authored by: Andy Hagans
This leaves me with one question: since link baiting is among the favorite methods used by SEOs to promote their own sites, why isn't it being offered by SEO firms as a service to clients?
Yeah, they all talk a good game but don't have clue one how to do it for a topic which they are not an expert in. In the old days we called this site promotion and the "link baiting" was found while doing the competition research. That wouldn't be the useless type we read about lately but old fashioned kind of research where you go to the sites on the topic and access the content and tools looking for that unfilled niche or better tool that people will visit time and again and link to. Now a competition research seems to be about countin' the F'in IBL's! it's a joke and why 3rd and 4th geners are never really going to get "link baiting" because they just don't understand what "really matters", and it aint stinking links from DIGG and other hangouts of layabouts! It's good old marketing just like the kind my daddy taught me 40 years ago when I was 13 and selling Fuller Brush to ugly old ladies not always answering the door dressed appropriately!

Webmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 01:26 PM   #19
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Webmaster T, while I agree with much of what you say it might be a little harsh. In anything there will be people who jump in without really getting it, but that doesn't make that anything worthless.

I agree that it comes down to good old marketing, but things are a little different online. At it's core link baiting is still about building content that provides value to someone. If you can create a tool for your industry that truly helps people and makes their day to day work easier that's pretty good value and also something likely to get good links.

Link building is more than just the sheer number or count of the links. And while many link bait ideas will probably just increase your count if done well it can bring in quality links. Give away something useful for free and people will be more likely to find you and hopefully go on to become clients or customers.

It's certainly harder to do for an industry you're not familiar with, but so is marketing in general. Part of any marketing is spending the time to understand the industry and how best to promote a business within that industry. Part though is specific to the concepts of marketing itself and many of those concepts translate from undustry to undustry.

Im sure though in time as link baiting makes its way more into the mainstream we'll see a lot of spammy services being offered that won't get it like you say. But that's true of anything where someone thinks they can make money.

Old 18th October 2006, 10:00 AM   #20
pdstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My question is what's the difference between "Content is king" (pre 1998) vs "Link baiting" (2006)?
The difference is in the evolution of linking that's been caused by the explosion of social networking sites.

Years ago the web was all about information. Webmasters would add links on their sites to useful tools and resources. Therefore, the best way to get links was to create quality content.

While the informational aspect of the web still exists today, the fastest growing part of the web are social networking sites which are all about news, what's happening now, pop culture, multimedia, humor, rumor, and the outrageous. So, while you can still build links slowly through old school quality content (content is king), you can get an explosion of links by creating content that caters to social networking part of the web and then lighting the viral marketing fuse (link baiting).

For example, the local church I attend wanted to do a series of services about relationships because a lot of people struggle with and are frustrated by relational issues. “Content is king” marketing philosophy would have had the pastor write some articles about relationships, optimize them, maybe post in some relationship forums, exchange links with related sites, etc, and maybe over the course of a month or two the church could have gained some decent links. In stead, the church created a new site with a Flash movie called MyLameLoveLife.com. It asked its members to put MyLameLoveLife.com bumper stickers on their cars and signs in their yard. It started getting some buzz on local sites, church marketing sites, and blogs. The local newspaper even published an article (sptimes.com/2006/10/07/Northpinellas/_Lame__site_is_anythi.shtml) about it. And really they only scratched the surface because they did all this with the intention of generating off-line buzz in the community and did not employ any SEM techniques to generate buzz on social networking sites.

So, to answer your question “content is king” is all about creating useful content for the informational web, while “link baiting” is all about creating attention-getting content for the social web.

pdstein is offline   Reply With Quote