Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th August 2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Carolyn S.

Default website hits

My website is getting 300 to 350 hits a month. Out of these I may get 12 contacts. Isn't that awfully low for that many hits?

I am looking seriously at a complete make over of my site. I would think I should have atleast 25% of the hits actually contact me.

Does anyone have any idea what the average should be? Or is this different depending on the type of business you are in?

Carolyn S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th August 2006, 01:40 PM   #2
dSide

Hi Carolyn,

While a 3% conversion off of a visit to your site is not outstanding, it isn't unreasonable either. It could depend on a number of different factors.

1. Where is yoru traffic coming from? If it is from an ad (ppc, banner or email) your message could be unclear and the vistors may be expecting a different experience when they visit your site. I would rework any messages that you have out there to see which ones offer the highest conversions rates.

2.Maybe the layout or the UI of your site needs a little makeover to help your visitors navigate it. If you have any analytics (Google offers it for free) installed on your site you can see the pages that your vistors arrive and leave from - this will tell you where (and maybe why) you are losing them. Maybe there are some barriers like shipping or cost information that aren't clear and creating some hesitation. Once you have this information you can rework your page to stem the loss.

3.Ask the clients that do call you what they think of your site and if they have any feedback for you - there is nothing as good as information straight from your client!
Good luck,
Deborah Kilpatrick

dSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Carolyn S.

Thank you for your help Deborah! I really appreciate your input.

Carolyn S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 10:01 AM   #4
Old Welsh Guy

One question here, what is a hit? most software stats packages will tell you hits, but this is not the same as visitors. if you have 3 images a header a footer and soone or two other items, a single page impression can register a dozen hits!

You need to be certain you are talking about visitors and not hits here.

Old 5th September 2006, 02:07 PM   #5
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I was just going to ask the same question as OWG. Hits are a meaningless statistic. It really is possible for 12 visitors to record 350 hits depending on how your site was developed.

Make sure it's unique visitors (or visits) you're checking and not hits.

Chances are you do register more than 1 hit per visit so that 3% conversion is really higher than 3%. 25% is actually quite high for online conversions though it's certainly possible. I think most websites convert under 5% though that really should be a higher number and probably more indicative that we haven't always paid attention to conversions as website owners until recently.

Old 5th September 2006, 08:31 PM   #6
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Apart from really distinguishing search engine hits from people visits, what industry are you in? If you are in retail, 3% conversion rate is pretty good.
If you provide some expensive services, that's just great.

Maybe you provide something unique that you want 25% of your visitors contact you?

More info on your site and industry might help a little.

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 06:17 PM   #7
guigo

one thing you must think seriously about is the site visitor statistics analyzed with some really good tool, for example Google Analytics, it shows you a lot about ROI and customer relations online.

guigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 11:53 AM   #8
vangogh
VIP Contributor

What guido says is true. Different stats programs can show a wide difference in numbers. I have three I can access for data and they can vary as wide as 300% in the number of unique visitors they show.

I like to trust whichever one shows the least favorable numbers. It might not be the most accurate, but it makes me work the hardest to improve things. If I trust the one that's the most positive it can be too easy to just assume I've done everything right.

Actually over time I'm learning how to compare across the programs better and I prefer not to always look at the absolute numbers, but rather the relative numbers.

Old 30th November 2006, 08:10 PM   #9
netuser

You should give google analystic a try. It is free. It uses javascript instead of the log files. It will give you a different view of the traffic.

netuser is offline   Reply With Quote