Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Radio Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th December 2010, 04:52 AM   #11
radiomedia

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieHFS View Post
Hi All,

Well, I have been selling the radio ads for our weather company for about 8 months now and I can say it has to be the most difficult sale I have ever been involved in. During my cold calls, everything goes fine when I introduce myself and say I work for a small weather forecasting company in Southern NH. Then when I mention the radio ads, some of the people get an attitude immediately. Sometimes I can get by their initial response because of our incredibly low rates, but other times it is like I developed the plague.

Well we keep plugging along and selling some here or there. However, it takes so much time, it is difficult to sell radio advertising time and our weather products too.

Just needed to vent.
Jackie
In advertising, you can use Entertainment values or use sound strategy for careful consideration of customers. moreover, you should employ ongoing testing that direct response advertising requires for success.

radiomedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th December 2010, 06:12 PM   #12
roof cleaning

I have had great luck advertising my company on local Tampa AM Sports Radio.
AM Sports Radio has reaped huge rewards in capturing the decision makers who can purchase our services.
We advertise on a stand by basis, and get incredible deals.
Tampa, where I live, is an active sports town, and I advertise during football season.

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 03:04 AM   #13
LloydBurrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by roof cleaning View Post
I have had great luck advertising my Tampa Roof Cleaning Company on local Tampa AM Sports Radio.
AM Sports Radio has reaped huge rewards in capturing the decision makers who can purchase our services.
We advertise on a stand by basis, and get incredible deals.
Tampa, where I live, is an active sports town, and I advertise during football season.
When it comes to radio advertising, sticking to your niche and to local advertising is crucial. I don't believe this was luck. People still have the perception that radio ads are more real and accurate than online ads (and you can't blame them); the response rate is even better if you find a radio post directly relevant for your business.

Old 3rd March 2011, 11:10 AM   #14
BeJingled

I so agree. The internet is almost a seperate community, where as radio advertising brings a small business directly into the local community. When online, a potential customer is likely in work or play mode, whereas Radio Advertising holds the potential to infiltrate the subconcious in those dead times - driving to work etc. I think people can be more open to receiving commercial messages at these times. It's harder to find opportunities online to advertise without being lost in a sea of direct competition. Building a local brand identity is a far more practical goal using the airwaves.

BeJingled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 01:59 PM   #15
danielkanuck

Radio advertising can be effective. One thing that you do want to ensure though is that you clearly state your phone number twice, and sound out your website address so that people don't type the wrong URL in their web browser.

You typically have about 30 seconds to pitch your services, so get to the main point, and how it can help the lives of others.

Consider adding a free offer to entice listeners to respond immediately.

Old 26th July 2011, 05:25 AM   #16
Ted GWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieHFS View Post
Hi All,

Well, I have been selling the radio ads for our weather company for about 8 months now and I can say it has to be the most difficult sale I have ever been involved in. During my cold calls, everything goes fine when I introduce myself and say I work for a small weather forecasting company in Southern NH. Then when I mention the radio ads, some of the people get an attitude immediately. Sometimes I can get by their initial response because of our incredibly low rates, but other times it is like I developed the plague.

Well we keep plugging along and selling some here or there. However, it takes so much time, it is difficult to sell radio advertising time and our weather products too.

Just needed to vent.

Jackie
Jackie,

Have you ever considered launching your own blog where you can educate people about what benefits there are in your methods of advertising. You can use the blog to discuss all things local and anything related to your advertsing. Create a free downloadable PDF guide that is like "How To Generate More Business Through Radio Advertising In Southern New Hampshire" or something like that.

By giving that guide away for free you will be doing local business people a big favor. Then anyone who comes across it who is even considering radio advertising will think you are the local expert. They will like you. They will trust you. You will be the only person they know about in your field. That makes them much more likely to buy from you.

Make sure your guide only talks about the benefits of advertising. Don't talk about your features so much. Keep talking about what is in it for the advertisor. That will win you business.

If you do this well, you will end up with people calling you asking you to do business instead of you having to do so much cold calling.

You could give away that guide. Then create a second shor guide titled "How To Create The Perfect Radio Ad to Target NH Residents". On the last page of the first guide, tell people that they can email you to receive a free copy of the second guide. Anyone who is really interested in radio advertising is going to want that second guide from you. When they email you, you will have their email address. Then you can use their email to send them more marketing materials. If you give away enough high value information to them for free, they will feel obligated to buy your radio advertising.

Hope you like the idea.

Old 14th February 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
personaldefense

How to advertise our add in radio?? Please suggest some ideas

personaldefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:08 PM   #18
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

There are many helpful ideas on this thread.

Old 26th March 2013, 10:25 PM   #19
kaoolo

Default radio ads

What Is the price range for radio ads?

kaoolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:46 AM   #20
marketing101

Send a message via Skype™ to marketing101

The problem is the fact that many have been "burned" on bad radio plans. There are far too many "bad" radio reps out there that don't know what they are doing. Many have the best of intentions, but lack the expereince in what "works" in radio. They will talk about "frequency" but have no idea how to put it into action using a clients budget.

There are many, many, many ways to lay out an effective radio plan.

If you can get them to tell you WHY they have a bad taste in their mouth for radio, you may be able to explain to them what went wrong the first time they used it - And explain to them how effective it can be if done right.

As with anything - there is a wrong way to do something, and a right way that will likely produce results.