Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st January 2005, 01:36 PM   #1
Soapin'Angela

Default Google PPC Help

Hi everyone
I haven't been around for a while cause I took a bit of a break from my website and working it. but now I'm trying to figure it out again and am trying to get the traffic to my site so that I can make some sales.
So I decided to try Google Adwords. I was part of a mom's business forum that gave me an idea of how to start Adwords.

So my question is this:
I've set up my account and searched for keywords relating to my product. I haven't yet received any clicks and it's been on two days now. Some of the keywords it says I'm in the 3rd or 4th position. So how do I get PPC to work? Ok I know it can't be a simple answer but where should I start to get it bringing me traffic. I'm thinking my ad is probably not very good and I'm going to be looking at the ads of others selling the same thing. Also looking up more keywords and checking which ones will bring me traffic. And thinking about the landing page that i send the traffic to.

Am I on the right track with this? I really want to get my business going this year and thing ppc is maybe the way to start getting something moving.

Old 31st January 2005, 01:57 PM   #2
divshow
VIP Contributor

Welcome back.

PPC can be a great way to drive traffic to your site, but you do need to make sure that you have the correct keywords for your site. What keywords are you currently using? How many views and clicks did Google estimate you could get per day? Also, I would try to get to the top two PPC...being further down the line could be part of the problem.

Would you share your ad with us? Maybe we could give you some ideas to help make it drive a little more.

~ Lisa

Old 31st January 2005, 02:18 PM   #3
Soapin'Angela

Hi Lisa,
Thank you
Here are my keywords, are all currently clicking to my homepage:
Aromatherapy Bath Bombs
Aromatherapy Bath Products
Aromatherapy Bath Salts
Aromtherapy Soaps
Bath Bombs
Bath Salts
Essential Oil Soaps
Essential oil bath products
Handcrafted Bath Bombs
Handcrafted Soaps
all natural bath products
all natural soap
aromatherapy bath products
aromatherapy bath salts
aromatherapy soaps
baby bath products
bath & beauty products
bath & body products
bath and beauty products
bath and body products
bath body products
bath bomb
bath bombs
bath products
bath salt
bath salts homemade
bath salts in a jar
bath soap
bath soaps
beeswax lip balm
body and bath products
bulk bath salts
candy cane bath salts
epsom salts bath
essential oil soap
essential oils soap
fizzies
fizzy bath bombs
fresh bath products
handcrafted herbal soaps
handcrafted soap
handcrafted soaps
handmade bath products
handmade bath salts
handmade bath stuff
handmade natural soap
handmade soap
handmade soaps
herbal bath products
herbal bath salts
home made bath salts
homeade bath salts
homemade bath bombs
homemade bath products
homemade bath salts
homemade soap
homemade soaps
homemade spa products
lavender bath products
lavender bath salts
luxurious natural soap products
luxury bath products
natural bath and body products
natural bath products
natural bath salts
natural handmade soap
natural lip balm
natural soap
peppermint bath salts
pure and natural soap
salt bath
salt baths
scented bath salts
sea salt bath
soap handmade
soap homemade
soap natural

And my ad:
Gift With Every Order
Aromatherapy Soaps, Bath Salts,
Bath Bombs, Essential Oils, Scrubs
www.rainkissed.com

I just got a click today since i posted, Yea! lol. I know it's not much to cheer about but at least a start
The only one I'm in the top 2 for is homemade bath products. I know I'm gonna need a lot of work for this to get going but I figured I just have to start it and go from there. So far i've gotten 60 Impressions from these keywords.. avg position of 20 (not too good). I'm pretty sure the add definitly needs work too.

Old 31st January 2005, 03:17 PM   #4
divshow
VIP Contributor

Well, the first thing I want you to remember is that just because someone does not click on you through Google does not mean that they do not become a customer. Sometimes it takes quite a few times of them to see your name, but then they may just type in your website instead of clicking. All impressions are good (but clicks are even better! )

For your ad, maybe try to use "Free" in the header and then in your description try to fit the word "handmade" or "handcrafted" in there. This is what makes you stand out and might help to draw some people in.

Remember you can have more than one ad running...watch them and see what seems to be drawing more clicks.

~ Lisa

Old 31st January 2005, 10:21 PM   #5
solterrabooks

Hi -

I did quite a bit of ppc last year - and succesfully drove traffic - but had alot of problems converting that to sales. So, once you do get your traffic flow, keep a sharp eye on conversions and be sure you don't run up your google fees to far to fast without return!

I learned a few things about driving traffic -

- Being #1 or 2 isn't worth the extra money - and often being 3-7 is ok. Being #20 means you probably are never being seen - so you may need to increase your max cpc.
- Have you used any tools like the overture keyword tool to see how many searches are done on the keywords - you definitely want to be sure there are enough searches being done so the impressions increase
- Test your keywords in searches - and see what comes up - what other ads - and try to find some keywords that people use - but where there are no ads. For example, we have a great new audio for children about Abraham Lincoln - there were no ads on that keyword - so when I bid the minimum on it - it drew LOTS of cheap traffic. But, be sure it's relevant enough to generate conversions too!
- Do test multiple ads - that's important - to see what people click on
- once you get traffic flow going - be sure they are going to the best landing pages possible - for example, if you "bath soap" as a keyword - the url for that ad should go directly to the bath soap category or product page - not your home page.

It turns out, that recently my site is getting much better indexing - so I"m generating more natural search traffic - and the conversion rates to sales are better on that than the PPC for me - so the magins are better. Now, all I need to do is increase the volume somehow too.

Hope these tips help - and keep us posted as you learn!

David

solterrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2005, 01:35 PM   #6
Soapin'Angela

Well I've been searching for more keywords to get the campaign going more and now I have over 3,000 impressions but still only one click. I guess some of this is just a matter of finding what works.

Lisa, can I use the same keywords with a different ad? Do I do this within the same campaign or start a new one? I'm guessing I need to start a new one or how would google know which ad to run for the same keywords. does this mean i could have two of my ads on the same results page?
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on google. i thought i'd just jump in because i find reading about it so confusing, i'm a learner by doing..

Thanks
Angela

Old 4th February 2005, 12:47 AM   #7
divshow
VIP Contributor

You can run different ads on the same campaign. That's how I determined which ad worked the best for me. Since you are receiving so many impressions, but only one click I would definatly try a new ad.

When you go to your adwords page, show your campaign then click on the your ad group name (where it will show all your keywords). You should see your current ad on the left hand side just below where it says "Tools" and above your keywords. Now, look to the right. There will be some text that says "Create New Text Ad/Image Ad".

It will try to show an even amount of both ads. You can compare the two towards the bottom of the same page.

Hope this helps!!!

~ Lisa

Old 6th February 2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Soapin'Angela

I've set up two ads now, one with free in it. So far i've gotten 21 clicks. So I'm just gonna keep updating the keywords, checking the ads, and looking at what other peoples ads are to see how to improve.

Thanks
Angela

Old 7th February 2005, 12:42 AM   #9
divshow
VIP Contributor

Angela ~

Great job on the clicks! You are on the right track.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going.

~ Lisa

Old 20th February 2005, 06:24 PM   #10
audio'connell

Send a message via AIM to audio'connell
Default Its a test

I spent about two weeks recently on my first campaign and it is absolutely an inexact science, to put it kindly.

You have to baby sit that project like a toddler.

They pause and throw out words at their discretion

You're being up or out bid at a strange pace

I spent over $100 in two weeks, high rankings on my words and not one inquiry. I would at least expect a call, especially with the offer of a free demo recording, which is a nice perk in my field.

I'm not sure that I'm done with Ad Words, but after an article in my local Sunday paper talked specifically about Google and how companies and competitors click on ad words just to build up the bill, I certainly paused the program.