Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th January 2010, 11:38 PM   #21
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi elorland!

Your post didn't mention what type of business you're in or what your particular problems were with e-mail marketing, but I must tell you that there's two different ways to use e-mail; the right way and the wrong way.

The overall concept is really pretty easy. What your total focus is to build a relationship with your list. Get them to know, trust and like you. Once you get that to happen, the sales will fall into place.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th June 2010, 11:29 AM   #22
ccharles90

Yeah email list work you just have to establish a relationship with your subscribers and make them trust you and your knowledge

ccharles90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2010, 02:15 AM   #23
aussieroo1

I've only experienced using email marketing once during an event. I was indeed able to get attendees from it, but later on, when the event was over, some of the email addresses started to unsubscribe and that was the end of it.

Old 29th June 2010, 03:09 AM   #24
hdm
VIP Contributor

While many of us use email prolifically, we still like to receive "real mail."

Direct mail is something your audience can touch, see, keep and read at their leisure.

Old 5th August 2010, 08:01 AM   #25
cirklagirl

Default I Love Free Content

I love free content. If there is something offered free, I am on it. One thing I saw that gave me some ideas is to offer a free ebook for signing up, and then email them little excerpts and tips from your ebook in your autoresponder series. That way, you are reinforcing what you are teaching them in your ebook AND you are staying in contact with them at the same time.

cirklagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 10:16 AM   #26
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I wouldn't count on it directly converting to sales but as a tool to help build your brand.
I disagree! I am not (and never will) brag about dollars sold or anything like that, but in the last month I did a product release on one of my sites. The reaction was NUT$.. if you know what I mean.

But then again... I did a proper product launch. It's not just 'hey guys and gals, here's something to buy!'. You have to understand the proper product launch... and the 'hype' that you MUST create. And even when you're done, you do the old 'take away' where you only have 3 left at that price. Typically that message sells about 20 items to all those who were 'haning on'.

E-Mail will build your brand. But you can also sell through it, if you know what you're doing.... and I am not talking about sleezy pitches. I am talking about an organized product launch that utilizes the proper steps.

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 02:27 PM   #27
MEMA

Quote:
I am talking about an organized product launch that utilizes the proper steps.
Exactly!

You need to know that your Email Marketing strategy will depends on your objectives. Do you want to expand your contact list? do you want to increase transformation and sales?

In order to achieve these goals, you need to decide first which kind of Email you will send:

- ACQUISITION EMAILS (Pitch Emails):
  • Sent to external list of contacts
  • A Unique Goal: Get a member or a subscriber or a client
  • Content: A Unique Selling Proposition based on who you are, what you are offering and/or an incentive

- TRANSACTIONNAL EMAILS (Process Emails):
  • Sent to your clients or members
  • Subscription related emails
  • Event/operation registration or loyalty related emails
  • Purchase and logistics related
  • Alerts (to know when a specific product/franchise related product/… will be on sale, to know when a specific product will be on stock again)

- NEWSLETTERS (Push Emails)
  • Sent to your subscribers
  • Sent with regularity and a predetermined planning
  • Content: media/informational or product/promotional
  • You can distinguish between registrant / member / client, customize some information (ID, points…) or some product offers based on behavior via scoring and segmentation

- BEHAVIORAL EMAILS (Triggered Emails)
  • Sent to your contacts when you have enough data on them
  • Triggered automatically:
  • By using the segmentation
  • eg retention offer for « newly disappointed*», «*at risk*» or «*to convince*»
  • By using specific behavioral data
  • eg Purchases for cross-selling or up-selling emails

MEMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 01:30 AM   #28
hdm
VIP Contributor

In all forms of marketing, the offer is the most important aspect.

There are many varieties of offer, and all have their place. The trick is to choose the most appropriate one in each case.

“The First Few” is a classic marketing offer. “The first 50 replies will get half price.” It implies speed is of the essence and is a classic call to action.

Hard offers are currently the most popular. These consist of a specific deal for the product such as a low price and a money back guarantee.

Soft offers are more indirect offers like “First month free,” “Free trial,” or “Free Preview.” These are regarded as soft because they are more indirect, and offer a cushion to the prospect.

Old 24th August 2010, 01:28 AM   #29
davidbkeegan

I just don't want to receive an email every single day. Some newsletters are very hard to unsubscribe from, also. I click the link and all of a sudden the server is not found.

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2010, 01:18 PM   #30
MEMA

Quote:
I just don't want to receive an email every single day. Some newsletters are very hard to unsubscribe from, also. I click the link and all of a sudden the server is not found.
You should directly send an email in order to tell them you don't want to receive emails from them.

MEMA is offline   Reply With Quote