Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st February 2009, 07:23 PM   #1
jmbiz

Default Timing Question: Incorporation & Revenue

First post, first business, so hopefully the questions I'm asking are appropriate for the forum...

I recently started a small IT consulting and training firm, and I have been performing some services before completion of incorporation (LLC) paperwork. I have one engagement that pre-dates the official request for incorporation (acquisition of an EIN, etc.), and another that pre-dates the filing of paperwork in my state.

My question is this: Is the revenue from these engagements applicable to my new business? I have not yet invoiced the clients, but I am about to, and I need to know whether I can do it from my new business or I must do it as an individual for tax/GAAP purposes.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is the case, but most states don't require sales tax on professional services such as consulting, accounting, etc., correct?

Thanks!

jmbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
mfackrell

Default Record the revenue in the business

You could do it either way, as long as your accounting accurately reflects that.

The simplest way is to just invoice them from your business and record the revenue there.

Most states do not require sales tax on services, but check your states (and local) requirements

mfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 09:41 PM   #3
phanio
VIP Contributor

Two things - go to www.irs.gov (or make an appointment with your local IRS office). Ask them when or by what organization you need to recognize that revenue.

Each state has their own rules on sales tax. Some serivces are taxable - some are not - more and more are becoming taxable. You state's Secretary of States website should have a list of what is taxable and what is not.

Old 25th February 2009, 05:41 PM   #4
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

A couple of points:

1. Your LLC is actually disregarded for tax accounting purposes. I.e., unless you've made an election to have LLC treated as a corporation, the "sole proprietorship" phase of your consulting and the "LLC" phase of your consulting are treated as one business.

2. Keep in mind, too, that you're almost surely a cash-basis tax payor so even if you've made an election to be treated as a corp, the revenue isn't recognized until you collect it.

I don't know if my sig still shows this, so I'll note that I'm a CPA and used to teach LLC and S corp tax law in a masters in tax program.

Old 26th February 2009, 09:04 AM   #5
jmbiz

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like I'm in good shape, but I will definitely double-check with state tax authorities.

jmbiz is offline   Reply With Quote