Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th April 2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Roark

Question LLC - Different State Blues

Hello All,

I have written some software that I would like to sell exclusively on-line. To protect my own assets, I wish to open an LLC that will sell the software for me. In my research, I have found that a few states offer a friendlier business climate than others. That is, some states would probably offer more protection to me, as well as a lower cost of doing business.

If I were to follow the plan of opening an LLC in another state, I know that my own state would eventually want me to register my LLC as a "Foreign Entity," but that would only happen if I established a local presence, I am told.

My question to you is: What would be considered "a local presence?" Would opening a local bank account for my distant LLC be considered "a presence?" Would the fact that I happen to live in my own state be considered "a presence?" Or is "a presence" strictly doing business in my own state, such as setting up a store?

Many Thanks,

Roark

Roark is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th April 2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Tom Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Or is "a presence" strictly doing business in my own state, such as setting up a store?
Roark
Or setting up a shipping location such as from where you actually ship your software to fill orders.

Tom

Tom Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Roark

Hello Tom,

I appreciate your post.

Fortunately, I will not be shipping my software. It will be available for download on-line as a trial, and the same trial can be activated as the final product.

Do you believe any of the other scenarios that I have listed would be considered a local presence? A bank account, standing in my own state, but answering an e-mail, etc.?

Thanks,

Roark

Old 8th April 2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Tom Young

You may be able to get situation specific help from http://score.org where information is free and confidential.

Tom

Tom Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 05:07 PM   #5
Roark

Thank you, Tom. Score is a very good tip. I was not aware of their services.

Roark

Old 8th April 2008, 10:54 PM   #6
jaairey
VIP Contributor

I live in Nevada, which is very business friendly. To do business in Nevada you need a resident agent, if you have no presence in the state. The fees for an agent start at about $40 per year depending on what services you also need.

The URL for the business center for the Secretary of State is http://www.sos.state.nv.us/business/ This has most of the info you need.

To register an LLC I think it is $125 + $75 for the first year, and maybe $125 thereafter. http://www.sos.state.nv.us/business/...Domesticpk.pdf

Apparently a big NY taxi company has formed an individual Nevada LLC for every 2 taxis. That way if there is a problem or liability with a taxi only that 2 taxi LLC is liable.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 11:04 PM   #7
Roark

Thank you kindly for the information and links, Jaairey. I think the 2 taxi idea is pretty clever.

Roark

Old 25th February 2009, 05:57 PM   #8
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Roark, just an FYI, as the owner of the business, you'll create nexus in your state of residence for the LLC.

IE, your status as the guy running the show will put you on the radar screen.

Also, if you state taxes your income (and it probably does) your LLC will appear on your federal tax return and so need to be included with your state return, too. An LLC is (by default) disregarded as an entity separate and apart from its owner.