Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2009, 10:30 PM   #1
mags24

Default How Do I Categorize Investors In An LLC

I am taking on investors in my New Jersey LLC, but I don't want to categorize them as members - does anyone know if this is possible?

mags24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:53 AM   #2
phanio
VIP Contributor

What does it really matter what they are called - you can call them anything you want - try partners. The key is will expenses and income pass through and is their liability limited in the eyes of the IRS and courts. But, call them anything you want.

Old 24th May 2009, 09:13 PM   #3
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Owners in an LLC are members. That's what they're called. Note that you can have a manager-managed LLC, in which case you have manager members (who run the business) and non-manager member (who are passive).

Old 29th May 2009, 04:47 AM   #4
theieu

well you can categorize them as business partners, since LLC is a form of business partnership and not a corporation or company.

theieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 11:38 AM   #5
ArcSine

If their investment takes the form of loans, even if it's subordinated debt, the investors are not LLC 'members' for any legal or tax sense. You have a lot of flexibility in designing the loan agreements to give them the kind of payouts that you and they have in mind.

But that flexibility isn't without limit. If you design the 'loan' agreements such that your investors' relationship with your LLC is, from an economic reality perspective, more like 'equity' than 'debt', there's a chance it would be characterized as equity by the IRS and/or the courts. In other words, if it walks, talks, and moves like equity, then it doesn't matter that the documents say "Promissory Note" at the top.

But 'member' isn't the same as 'manager'. You can certainly have 'silent' investors who own LLC membership equity that entitles them to some slice of the profits pie, but confers no rights to have a say in the operations of the biz. LLC membership 'equity' comes in a lot of flavors--you've got a lot of flexibility in its design. Be sure to get the guidance of an attorney with expertise in this area. Best of luck!

Old 29th May 2009, 12:25 PM   #6
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcSine View Post
Be sure to get the guidance of an attorney with expertise in this area.
This is so important it deserves to be said twice. In bold type, even.

This is not a "DIY" situation. With the legal and tax implications involved, you need the advice and guidance of an expert.

--Torka

Old 29th May 2009, 08:31 PM   #7
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

I think you can often take a DIY approach when setting up an LLC if you don't have outside investors or you don't have a lot of money.

Frankly--and here I speak as a CPA with, er, 25+ years of experience--you think you'd great get legal advice if, as a small business, you spend $2K or $5K or $10K for getting an entity setup.

Sadly, that's often not the case. The last really large S corp I assisted with, used (at my recommendation) a large law firm to quarterback the process. I was very disappointed. The firm assigned a very young, probably extremely smart, but totally inexperienced attorney. I had to tell her, for example, that shareholder spouses needed to sign the S election agreement for the LLC.

By the way, not that along ago, one of my clients converted their partnership to a corporation using a large "high technology" Seattle boutique law firm. The fee was around $10K. In the end, the lawyers didn't even create the paperwork to document the transfer of partnership assets to the corporation. Again, a newbie assigned to the project the partners thought was too easy...

Old 31st May 2009, 10:21 AM   #8
ArcSine

Probably getting a bit off-course from the thread-starter's question, but the whole DIY-or-no is an interesting topic in its own right.

Steve makes a great point that the DIY approach is quite do-able, when the situation fits his qualifier "...if you don't have outside investors...". A lot of biz owners have the mistaken impression that an attorney's involvement is mandatory for every LLC or Corp set-up.

It's when outside capital comes to the party that the legal and tax complexities ramp up exponentially. Federal and state securities laws, minority investor rights under state law, confusing tax code issues....ad nauseum...

My advice to seek experienced counsel was more situation-specific, since Mags24 said that outside money was involved.

Cheers, all!

Old 31st May 2009, 10:09 PM   #9
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Exactly! That was why I repeated the point.

When you start bringing in outside investors, everything gets more complicated. IMO, having competent expert advice is crucial to avoid potential issues down the road.

--Torka

Old 26th June 2009, 04:51 AM   #10
urvi09

Quote:
Originally Posted by theieu View Post
well you can categorize them as business partners, since LLC is a form of business partnership and not a corporation or company.
Ya i agree that business partners is the perfect category for them.