Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th May 2009, 01:13 AM   #11
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roof cleaning View Post
IMHO paid Yahoo directory inclusion is a MUST if you are serious.
Yahoo directory is a different issue altogether. Obviously, one can improve the ranking of his website by submitting his website in it.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th May 2009, 07:48 PM   #12
jmacek07

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwebguru View Post

Yahoo directory is a different issue altogether. Obviously, one can improve the ranking of his website by submitting his website in it.
I would tend to agree that search engines look at things like listings in the yahoo directory and dmoz as something that defines you as a site that plans on being around for awhile...Another piece of advice I give my clients is to purchase the domain registration and hosting for 3-5 years at a time. A little more $$ up front but another sign to google that you're in it for the long haul.

Not that these things will win the race for you but if all else is equal little things like this could be the tipping point.

jmacek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 09:34 PM   #13
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

This is sort of off topic, but recently I've been paying a service called www.directorymaximizer.com about $100 to submit my new sites to around 1000 free directories. You don't actually end up getting 1000 directory listings. Not every directory accepts, in my experience. But you will get a few hundred (?) freebie listings.

If you're interested in seeing the sorts of listing you get, enter link:www.percheronhill.com into Google. Most of those links are from the freebie directories.

Final comment: My experimenting suggests that in my categories I don't get much benefit from the free directories.

Old 28th July 2009, 02:47 PM   #14
ernest1918

Quote:
Well, I personally believe that we should not invest in inorganic search because this will drive traffic for a short period of time and after that your website will be lost all its significance. In stead we should take time and should engage in building organic links that will be a better choice for us.
totally agree you might just pay for some hits but are they targeted to your market?!?

ernest1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:08 AM   #15
debbystewart

Quote:
Every one is well aware of the unworthiness of free directory submission. But some people say that paid directory submission can help a website to get good ranking as these directories have good PR. What do you think about it? Is it helpful from the SEO point of view?
Complete waste of time and money if you ask me. Tried it at the beginning and regretted it very much.

debbystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 01:25 AM   #16
jhon321

i think paid links are good but sometimes may harm your ranking.

jhon321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 09:43 AM   #17
Anders

Personally i think you cant get anything good from free directories, but from page directories maybe only them if your link is under categorie with PR.

Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 01:13 AM   #18
linds

Blog Commenting
Article Submission - Quality Content
Vote in Social Bookmarking Sites
Join in other Social Networking Sites
Forums Posting
Classified Ads
Press Release
Blog Directory Submission

linds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 02:59 AM   #19
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

One of the Google representatives has been very clear how they feel about directories and how they view them as an acceptable means of link building. Here is what was said:

Quote:
I’ll try to give a few rules of thumb to think about when looking at a directory. When considering submitting to a directory, I’d ask questions like:
- Does the directory reject urls? If every url passes a review, the directory gets closer to just a list of links or a free-for-all link site.
- What is the quality of urls in the directory? Suppose a site rejects 25% of submissions, but the urls that are accepted/listed are still quite low-quality or spammy. That doesn’t speak well to the quality of the directory.
- If there is a fee, what’s the purpose of the fee? For a high-quality directory, the fee is primarily for the time/effort for someone to do a genuine evaluation of a url or site.

Those are a few factors I’d consider. If you put on your user hat and ask “Does this seem like a high-quality directory to me?” you can usually get a pretty good sense as well, or ask a few friends for their take on a particular directory.
For the rest of the article: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

I realize this thread is about "free" directories but keep in mind what Mr. Cutts listed here is the criteria they use in determining whether or not to give the directory any credibility in their index.

Stick with the main directories and then forget about this tactic. The first 20-25 directories listed here is about all that's left out there. Find some you like, add your site and then find another way to attract links. http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 01:05 PM   #20
abbychar

I saw someone say they paid $100 for some 1,000s of submissions?!

I've been using a service for a while now that is a LOT cheaper than that!! Have a look here: http://findbacklinks.wordpress.com

abbychar is offline   Reply With Quote