Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th February 2009, 09:04 PM   #1
sabbry

Default Paying Oneself From An S-Corporation

I am the co-owner of an S-corporation in its first months of business. We're doing quite well for starting out in a sluggish economy. Our plan is to use the first few months of profit for business reinvestment and not take a paycheck.

But when we get there...

What is the best way to pay myself and my business partner? We're not taking a 50/50 cut, we're paying ourselves by the hourly rates which we charge our clients. We offer several services at various rates. I oversee delivery of certain services, him others, and occasionally we work on delivering a service together. I suspect hourly, not salary, is the best way to go starting out.

Can I write checks from the business account for our wages?

Is that the best way to go about it for recordkeeping and tax purposes?

Thank you

sabbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th February 2009, 06:00 PM   #2
nnickles66

Although there is nothing simple about running your own business & certainly record keeping can be a nightmare ... but by trying to keep things as simple as possible, you'll be less confused in the end. Decide when pay period is going to be & pay yourself out of your business account as you would any employee. I know this sounds too simple, and it's not quite as simple as I've indicated, but it doesn't have to be crazy complicated either.
For record keeping --- get a book keeper, and an accountant at tax time.
Best of Luck.

nnickles66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2009, 04:50 PM   #3
phanio
VIP Contributor

I agree - what ever method you determine should be the best - you are the ones that have to work with it. You should put everything in writing so there is no confusion later.

Pay yourselves out of the business account. There are local accounting firms that will do your total payroll for amounts less than $50 per month (for only two people). As you add employees that amount goes up per employee (not very much). These companies will do it all - saving you both time and headache.

Just some thoughts

Old 27th February 2009, 05:34 PM   #4
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Keep in mind--and I see this mistake a lot with S corporation tax returns I prepare--you can pay shareholder-employees different amounts (based on hours worked, value contributed, etc). But you must make distributions to S corp shareholders based solely on ownership shares.

For example, if you have two buddies, Josh and Derek, who together own an S corp, you can pay Josh and Derek different wage amounts. But whatever you pay them as shareholders from distributions from the S corp profits, well, those amounts must be based solely on ownership percentages. If the two guys each own 50% of the S corp, then everytime you make a distribution to Josh, you need to make an equal distribution to Derek.

Old 28th February 2009, 12:40 AM   #5
WhoWee

Start by taking a look at your budget for health care needs, cell phones, autos, clothes (write off uniform rental - Cintas/others have expanded business uniforms - depends on your business), association memberships/benefits and travel/entertainment.

A hint about health care...talk to your accountant about a HR105...let your company reimburse you for health care expenses.

WhoWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 09:59 AM   #6
barbdear

If neither you nor your partner have payroll experience, by all means don't waste any of your time doing it yourself. Writing the check is easy, filling out all of the payroll reports is NOT! If you are using accounting software, like Quickbooks, you can use the payroll function to help automate some of the reporting, but you (or your accountant) will still need to know what you're doing. In my current sub-S corp, I am the only employee and I outsource my payroll with PayChex ... costs me about $45 per month ... they write me a check out of my business account, take out the fed/state/local withholding, take out the social sec/medicare, make the quarterly payments and file the quarterly and year-end report with the IRS/state. What a value! (There are other payroll services besides PayChex, you should shop around.)

barbdear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 08:34 PM   #7
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Another good payroll service is ADP.