Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th October 2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Where are/were you directing your PPC traffic to? The quality (targeting, usability, design, copy, etc) of your landing page(s) is critical ...

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th October 2008, 01:03 PM   #12
bdorland

Catherine, I hope you feel better now that you've had a chance to vent. And I agree with you. PPC can at times feel like you're throwing money in the trash. But also consider a few things:

1. If PPC was really a waste, no one would do it.
2. When done right, there are thousands upon thousands of examples where businesses have seen almost overnight success.
3. You may change your tune the day that you make a huge sale from your PPC campaign. It happens everyday to companies all over the world.

If you don't want to play, you don't have to. No one is forcing you to advertise your business. But SEM/PPC is one of the most effective forms of advertising there is, period.

Keep your head up!

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 07:52 PM   #13
StephanieCox

While PPC can be frustrating at times all marketing and advertising can be!

Just remember it takes the average person about 7 times of seeing your product to associate it with your brand. Marketing like the best things in life take time to work!

StephanieCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 05:39 AM   #14
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr
Default I must admit it's never worked for me

but everyone seems to tell me that it's just 'cos I've never got my adverts right. I'm tempted to ask someone to do it for me therefore. However, if things don't work out I'd have payed for nowt.

Is there an option from some PPC expert whereby I could pay them on a percentage basis? That way they'd put their money where their mouth is...

Part of the problem, perhaps(??) is that my niche (presentation skills training) is somewhat competitive - and thus expensive.

S

Old 22nd October 2008, 09:08 AM   #15
chesa7

Here is an article that helps you calculate whether or not PPC is cost effective for your business:

http://www.articlestoblog.com/Art/96...Afford-It.html

chesa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:17 PM   #16
DiversifyWithRE

Default Pay per click success

I have ran a few PPC campaigns with a decent amount of success. Keep in mind, the more of a niche market you are in, the less the keywords will cost you. You must try to be as specific as possible. And if you are advertising a product you are charging for, try putting the price right in your ad if you feel you are getting to much non relevant traffic.

You also have to optimize your website for higher conversion rates. I experimented with several different sites, and many different keywords and campaigns. But I have honestly used PPC to push a decent amount of traffic to some of my newer sites, with good results.

DiversifyWithRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:45 PM   #17
SnapHawk

At a surface level, PPC may seem like spam if you don't know how it works, however as a consumer, when I really want to buy a product or service, I look to both organic and PPC search results. Also PPC helps the little guy. It is VERY difficult to have your website appear on the first page through search engine optimization if you are a startup or a small/mid-size business.

The most effective way to utilize PPC if you have no clue how to use it or if it isn't working out for you when you are managing your own campaign is to go to Search Engine Marketing Professionals. They typically have more experience and know how to protect your budget and maximize your ROI.

Last edited by SnapHawk; 3rd November 2008 at 03:22 PM.
SnapHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 09:29 AM   #18
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

After spending thousands on PPC and getting good results some of time and bad results other times, I would share these three obvious thoughts:

1. PPC may not work because the advertiser lacks skills or knowledge about PPC, writing ad copy, etc.
2. PPC may not work because the PPC category isn't conducive for the particular advertiser.
3. You should be able to quantitatively measure your PPC via conversion tracking or, in a pinch, via regression analysis...

A couple of examples here... PPC actually works really well for CPAs selling business tax and accounting services. You pay maybe $3 to $4 a cilck... but if that means you might pay $100 to $200 for a client who produces several hundred dollars or several thousand dollars of revenue for several years. This is an absolute steal of a deal.

I have not found PPC to work when selling $37.95 "how to incorporate a business" ebooks for which there is PPC competition from $300 or $400 online incorporation services. I think the problem is that the "click" is just worth intrinsically more to someone advertising, e.g., a $400 product.

Old 13th November 2008, 04:26 PM   #19
AdwordsPro

PPC is just a tool to bring visitors to your website.
If you catch the wrong sort of visitors then you will fail.
If your website cannot convert the right sort of visitors into customers then again you will fail.
If you target the right sort of customers, and your website can convert - then you will succeed ... providing the cost of acquiring those customers isn't too high.
Don't blame the tool!

AdwordsPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 08:16 AM   #20
wchua24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdwordsPro View Post
PPC is just a tool to bring visitors to your website.
If you catch the wrong sort of visitors then you will fail.
If your website cannot convert the right sort of visitors into customers then again you will fail.
If you target the right sort of customers, and your website can convert - then you will succeed ... providing the cost of acquiring those customers isn't too high.
Don't blame the tool!
i completely agree with this. ppc wont work if you do not know how to use it in the correct manner..

wchua24 is offline   Reply With Quote