Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th May 2007, 03:41 AM   #1
xwordsforfun

Default How To Discover My ALEXA Ranking

I am wanting to find out what my site's ALEXA ranking is. Can anyone help me out?

Many thanks,
Catherine Eagleson
Crosswords for Fun

xwordsforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th May 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Just go to http://www.alexa.com/ and search for your URL. If they have a ranking for you, it will show. However keep in mind that Alexa ranking is based on users that have the Alexa tool bar installed, which is spyware I might add, so don't count on the ranking to be an accurate representation of where your site actually ranks in popularity.

Old 10th May 2007, 11:30 AM   #3
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Default Another thing about Alexa

You can also see how your firm's traffic ranks with other similar sites in the Alexa directory category.

E.g., I can compare how my CPA firm site ranks as compared to other CPA firms in the U.S. Accounting Firms category. And when I do, sometimes I feel really neat.

And then I remember that the Alexa directory feeds off the dmoz directory and so a bunch of the sites that compete with mine aren't even in the running...

Old 10th May 2007, 08:01 PM   #4
xwordsforfun

Default Interesting...

Hi David,

Many thanks for your comments, very interesting and very helpful.

The reason I was wanting to know was that I contacted a fellow puzzle site owner. He came back with a negative response to a link request, and one of the reasons was that my Alexa rating was 4million and something which he said was 'very low'. He said he would 'consider linking' if I wrote at least 30 articles on crosswords (I think people actually prefer to do the puzzles than read about how to do them, benefits - although of course we have that too).

Forgive me for sounding suspicious but it is almost beginning to look like stalling tactics. If I'm writing loads of extra content, it slows down the puzzle (and I might add sudoku) production - you can only do one thing at a time.

Thanks again for your advice - much appreciated.
Catherine

Old 10th May 2007, 08:21 PM   #5
xwordsforfun

Default Thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated

Cheers
Catherine
Crosswords for Fun

Old 11th May 2007, 04:16 PM   #6
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

Default Generating traffic ... another way...

This is pretty obvious, but another way (which I hate because it's so much work) is just adding more unique content to your site.

E.g., at my CPA firm site, I've got (basically by accident) hundreds of pages of stuff. Articles I've written about different tax planning angles small businesses can use. Little discussions of tax topics of interest to real estate investors. Stuff about accounting software programs like QuickBooks. Chapters from old books about business planning, and so on.

And that's why, even though I really don't deserve this, I have relative to my peer group very high and good traffic. For example, today, according to Alexis, my CPA web site's traffic means it ranks 9th among US accounting firms. Which is absurb in a sense. (I think there are roughly 40,000 accounting firms in the US.)

But here's what's happening. Lots of specialized, pretty unique content means lots of "long tail" traffic... for which there's little keyword competition.

Every so often, I think about trying to do this with one of my true ecommerce sites... but usually I just lie down until the idea goes away.... because in essense what I'm contemplating represents months of hardcore professional writing and editing.

This may get back to something that, among others, Logan pointed out. One only has so much energy, time, money, etc., and if you concentrate that energy, time and time, etc., you can stand out from the crowd with one web site... but perhaps not a bunch of web sites.

Old 11th May 2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Britopian
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to Britopian

hi all...i wouldn't spend too much time looking at your alexa score. I have found it to be flawed in many ways...maybe I'll blog about it soon.

Old 11th May 2007, 11:16 PM   #8
BathSilk

I agree with Britopian. I'll add that the Alexa website is just one of the many tools to allow to get a feel for the exposure you're getting online. Google page rank is also a great tool, but your bottom line will tell you how well you're doing with an e-commerce website - not your page rank.

Jean

BathSilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 12:51 PM   #9
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Some years ago, I improved the Alexa ranking for one of my sites by something like 400,000-500,000 points in a matter of weeks. All I did was install the Alexa toolbar and visit my own home page a few times a day. No article writing necessary.

IMO, you can't go wrong concentrating on what the customers want, and giving it to them. If they really want articles, then write articles. If they want puzzles, then spend your time developing puzzles.

It's really unlikely that a single link from that single site is going to make-or-break your site's rankings, traffic or sales. Don't do anything to please him. Focus on pleasing your customers.

Webmasters who really know what's up don't cite Alexa rankings as a measurement of anything useful.

My

--Torka

Old 18th May 2007, 10:09 AM   #10
deny

If you use firefox i would suggest you excellent SEO extension called SeearchStatus. It will show you PR, Alexa and Compete rank, option for keyword density, link report, meta tags etc...
Really useful extension.

deny is offline   Reply With Quote