Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd May 2007, 01:00 PM   #1
_detz_
VIP Contributor

Default How Important Are Outbound Links?

I know it's always good to have people link to you but do you need to link to other people? Does this actually help your page?

_detz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:43 PM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It can help if you are linking to resourceful sites that may benefit your users and not just for the sake of linking itself. The reason why it can be beneficial is that your site is no longer like a "dead-end street" but rather provides search engines the ability to find additional sites via your pages.

Old 3rd May 2007, 01:57 PM   #3
lunartcorp

Yes, it helps. Having outbound links will tell the Search Engines that you have a good source of information that helps others which means your website is a good resource.

Old 3rd May 2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

I disagree on this one. I've worked on many sites for clients that don't link out to anyone and frankly it isn't appropriate to.

I've never seen any issue with not linking out to others.

I will say that if you provide good resources, an added benefit of that could be others linking to you. But that is an indirect result and I just have never witnessed much from a direct impact between links out and rankings.

Old 3rd May 2007, 02:19 PM   #5
_detz_
VIP Contributor

What if it's relevant? Say I go read an article on another site and write up a summary/comments on my site, I'm assuming links that that are ok and encouraged. I was going to build a directory of useful services(not competition) and add it to my site which would be useful for customers but I was not sure if it would help/hurt SEO,

_detz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 07:14 PM   #6
prodport

I do a lot of articles where I link out to other sources. I do this because the links are relevant and they're of value to my readers. As example, if I do a product review, it only makes sense to provide a link to the product page. Otherwise, I'm making my readers go hunt for the appropriate page.

prodport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Britopian
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to Britopian

the only real benefit of linking to another site is from a usability perspective (assuming that it's relevant). Other than that, the benefit is more for the site that you are linking to.

However, it can hurt your site if you are linking to a site that engages in questionable seo tactics; not sure by how much though.

Old 9th May 2007, 08:23 PM   #8
xwordsforfun

Default Are my links relevant?

At Crosswords for Fun we have a links directory that includes some puzzle related links but we also provide links to sites that promote products for a great lifestyle which puzzles can be part of eg. do puzzles to relax, do a puzzle while you are having a coffee, do a puzzle on holiday. We do affiliate marketing but are very selective about the products we promote, but perhaps we should be tightening up and just sticking to just puzzle sites. I don't want to become a link farm.

Would be very interested to hear your views/suggestions on this.
Kind regards,
Catherine

xwordsforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 11:18 PM   #9
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Catherine - if they benefit your visitors (and it sounds like your links do), then it is probably all good.

The main thing is to NOT link out to "bad neighborhoods" or link farms/schemes. That can get you in trouble with the search engines.

And of course, don't list hundreds of useless or unrelated links on a "links" page. Eeeew. Detracts from a site's credibility IMO.

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 03:26 AM   #10
xwordsforfun

Default Thank you Karri, you have put my mind at rest

Hello Karri,

Thank you so much for your reply, and for your very sound advice. Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Catherine Eagleson

xwordsforfun is offline   Reply With Quote