Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th August 2011, 07:11 AM   #1
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Default 5 Key SEO Findings - New Benchmark Study

MarketingSherpa, an SEO research firm has released its 2012 Search Marketing Benchmark Report – SEO Edition. It points out 5 important SEO and SEM findings.

Quote:
1. Developing a strategy is a top challenge…but bottom objective.
2. Content creation works the best, but takes the most work.
3. Incremental SEO improvements add up to large gains.
4. Future investments in SEO backed by having SEO process in place.
5. Local business listing tactics are underutilized.
Other conclusions include:

Quote:
1. Companies need to develop a strategic approach to SEO and ROI that focuses on planning rather than just handling issues as they come.
2. A consistent set of SEO guidelines, implemented with each new page or project, is one of the most effective ways to build ROI and web presence.
3. The strategic and transition phases of SEO maturity provide the best ROI, and thus should be considered for increased investment.
4. Companies should utilize all available local search optimization tactics.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 12th August 2011, 08:39 AM   #2
smallbus01

"1. Companies need to develop a strategic approach to SEO and ROI that focuses on planning rather than just handling issues as they come. "

This is so true. Most small businesses are guilty of this. They are too busy looking at what is infront of them that they fail to see the bigger picture. So they don't get to plan for it and then that just screws with the progress of their businesses. Good information.

smallbus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 01:56 AM   #3
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Developing a strategy is a top challenge…but bottom objective.
Killer! Starting without a strategy is like trying to drive cross country without a map! You don't know where you're going.

Excellent info... too bad most don't follow it. In my experience, small business is more concerned about making their website 'cooler then their competition' to worry about a plan.

Thanks for the good post!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 08:24 PM   #4
websonalized

Thank you for posting. very well stated, brief and to the point.

I agree with you, although I must confess that for me, I did not know where I was heading. Now that I have a better idea, developing a strategy is feasible.

websonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Candice Robins

Local business tactics are definitely underutilized. I just read about some findings that suggest using Picasa to host your website's image and then geotagging them helps SEO, at least for nearby searches, so clearly there's plenty that can be done locally.

Old 16th August 2011, 02:36 PM   #6
JohnPQA

Thanks for the tips.

Of course, when I just started learning SEO, I thought that issues should be addressed as they show up...but now I know better !!

It is possible to start a SEO campaing in a project that has never applied such techniques when developing their site, but it is really hard and could also be pretty expensive.

So always plan ahead and remember to focus on the users

JohnPQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 06:50 AM   #7
Johnbatosh

development of webiste and content better than Competitors is a best Idea, now you don't need to spend more time in doing SEO practices.

Google gives more value to user experience and if your website has develop according to users then it is the right way to get ranked high

Johnbatosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 01:41 AM   #8
jhardy2008

thanks for informative tips.

jhardy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 03:18 PM   #9
shanmarsh1
Banned

The best way is to make your blog on the same domain as your website. If your primary goal is to drive new business through the website.

Try to Work in doffolow Websites and thats the way you get the better result in ranking and traffic.

shanmarsh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 04:44 PM   #10
B.Ligerent

Great share. I do have strategies in mind for SEO of my sites and notes in files here and there, but I haven't taken the time to truly formalize it in one strong, solid document (per site) the way you might with an overall Marketing Plan.

Even if you THINK you know what you're doing, putting it all down in writing can make you examine angles you hadn't already and give you a concrete plan that you can hold yourself to.

B.Ligerent is offline   Reply With Quote