Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th October 2006, 12:51 PM   #1
eschen

Default Ideas To Create Traffic For Google Adsense

Hi,

we started last month with Google Adsense. About a year ago we published a Halloween site with free stuff, like wallpapers and printable posters. About 9 month later we got a higher position at image search of Google and AOL. After some server outages we realized that the traffic came from these search engines. Meanwhile, we conquered the top 10. At AOL the first nine, at Google the first two (althouth it seems to us that Google only allows two images from the same source ;-)). After some optimizations and a server change, there was time to think about Google Adsense. A first implementation is done. The growth is exponential, but the cash result is still "small".

It seems to us that offering free content and adding Google Adsense is a good combination to make money. We transfer the Halloween idea to Xmas at the moment. There are some ideas in the pipe, too. Having a look at the numbers it is already clear that everything depends on the traffic we get. This is the weakest point in our new model. After Halloween, the traffic from Google will slow down pretty soon. It will maybe higher next year. But, what can we do in the meantime?

Some ideas:

* Blogs with Google Adsense
* Seasonal-independent content (e.g. European Graffiti Collection)
* Free tools (e.g. client-side search engine creator, based on our Webetiser

Any comments?

Silvia

eschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th October 2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Couple thoughts for starters ...

1) I think your assumption that the primary way to increase revenue is limited to traffic. While that is one factor, another is where your ads are place. See the adsense heatmap for reference. In your example, I looked at your halloween site and see them on far right. What about left menu area or front and center. What about end of page also so as people get to the end they have a place to click off your site? Just saying, the only factor isn't traffic and placement does play a (big) role. Also what about the types of keywords you are targeting. Do some keyword research. What are advertisers bidding the most on for your keywords. Pretty sure its not images. Not saying image searches are bad, but consider what other context area attract the highest advertiser bidding.

2) A natural to me, if you have had success and enjoy your previous experiences is to continue with the other holidays/seasons. For example valentines day? birthdays? mother's day? father's day? new years, etc.

Of course, many other areas are available. I would do it based on your interests and researching keywords with a reference to advertiser bidding.

Old 30th October 2006, 01:30 PM   #3
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I agree with Logan about some of the other things you can do to increase click through rates on the ads. In addition to the location of the ad you can experiment with the look of the ads as far as Google allows.

It's also a good idea to set up channels at AdSense to measure which ads work best.

I do think in the end though it will mostly come down to the traffic you get. You do need a lot to really profit from AdSense or any other contextual ads.

I think the idea of extending things to as many holidays as you can is a good idea since it seems to already be working. There's some holiday just about every month you could promote.

Old 31st October 2006, 05:28 AM   #4
eschen

Logan, VanGogh,

thanks for your helpful advice.

Silvia

eschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
You do need a lot to really profit from AdSense or any other contextual ads.
I guess partly that is defined by what is 'a lot'. At the same time, I think while this is generally true there are 'a few' exceptions. At times, I've been suprised at the amount that can be made without what i would consider to be 'a lot' of traffic. In general this is not true, but if you really target the right keywords and get the right traffic ... well, just saying the standard line of thinking does usually apply but not always. To some extent, my own experiences/focus have never been to focus solely on traffic. But instead identifying quality advertisers and matching them as closely as possible with qaulity visitors. I truly focus on that versus overall traffic/numbers/a lot. For starters, smart pricing plays a role and I don't think I have had problems with a 'lack of conversions' by those advertising. Some times a lot of traffic follows along with that approach though of course also.

Focus on providing conversions for your advertisers, expand and all follows along based on my experiences.

Old 31st October 2006, 12:52 PM   #6
vangogh
VIP Contributor

That's true. Alot is rather vague. All I meant though was that while you can do a lot to improve the click through rate on the ads there's only so far it will take you without more traffic. Some topics will naturally draw a higher cost per click, but once you've defined your topic there's only so much you can do there as well. Some yes, but only so much.

You don't necessarily need alot of traffic (whatever alot is), but I think in the end it's traffic that will determine how much you can make from AdSense or any form of contextual advertising. It doesn't mean you shouldn't work on the other aspects. I do think there are many things you can do to increase CTR and even cost per click.

I guess much of this depends on the goals you would have for the revenue you want to make. Are you looking to make a few hundred dollars each month or a few thousand each month. A few hundred could be very doable without large amounts of traffic (another vague traffic measurement), but I think traffic will be the determining factor if you're hoping for thousands.

Old 31st October 2006, 01:01 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

I don't know if you are going to convince me... and I'm not trying to argue but nothing wrong with healthy debate.

Let me throw out a completely hypothetical scenario/example.

$1000 per month = 50000 page impression per month = 1666 page impressions per day if 5 page impression per visitor this would equal 333 visitors per day = averaging 13 visitors per hour over each 24 hour period = not 'a lot'.

There are many assumptions there - but not a lot to me certainly if the above is doubled, tripled or more to make a few thousand dollars per month.

Are the above assumptions made in the example flawed in some place? Just trying to break it down in components that can be talked about while explaining why traffic is not the end all imo if you are struggling with making a few hundred versus a few thousand per month. Sure more traffic is better though

Old 1st November 2006, 10:16 AM   #8
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Logan you may very well be right. Obviously more traffic will help, but you may be right that it's possible to make some good money without that vague a lot of traffic. I'll throw out some numbers too and see what happens. I have no idea how this will work and I'll make some assumptions along the way.

Let's say you get a CTR of 5%. I think that's above the average. And let's say you get $1 per click, probably also above the average for many topics.

So 100 views/day leads to 5 clicks, which means $5/day or $150/months (we'll just assume all months have 30 days for the math)

I wouldn't call 100 views a day a lot, but some people might be happy with that traffic. I'll assume the cost per click stays the same and just play with the CTR.

Doubling CTR to 10% obviously doubles our revenue to $300/month, but 10% is a pretty high CTR.

I guess a lot of this will boil down to what is considered a lot of traffic. Those 100 views wouldn't be a lot, but would 1000 views be a lot? Do we need 10,000 views a day before it's a lot.

At 1000 views/day we're looking at $1,500/month at the $1 CPC and 5% CTR, which does cross that $1,000 barrier I put up. Of course changing the CTR to 2.5% and the CPC to $0.50 drops that $1,500 back down to $375/month.

I think I've seen where 2.5% is the average CTR, but since most people can't talk specifics on that who really knows. And the CPC is going to depend a lot on the topic of your site.

I guess my conclusion is I have no idea. There are just so many factors involved that it's hard to say things in absolutes.

I agree with you that you still want to work on everything within your control to improve CTR and even CPC to a certain degree. I'd also work on increasing traffic too.

I think my statements about traffic being the most important are from the success stories I've seen online and most of their success seemed to come from the traffic more than anything else. But those are just stories and the money involved is usually considerably more than even a few thousand a month. I also think while you can improve CTR significantly and CPC somewhat once you've chosen a topic, both eventually have an upper limit. It's not as though anyone would expect 100% CTR, though I'm sure people can get above the 10% I mentioned above.

In the end the traffic really has no limit, which is why I think that's where the revenue ultimately comes from.

But I do agree that as an AdSense publisher you should do everything you can to improve CTR. I think experimenting with ad types and colors and locations and anything else is important. I also think it's very important to measure things by setting up channels at Google. It's probably easier to improve your CTR than your traffic depending on your current traffic levels and it only makes sense to maximize the revenue you can get from whatever traffic you already have.

I get the feeling we agree more on this than we don't actually. I've played around with these numbers often enough to see what might happen. There are just so many assumptions you have to make prior to really testing what does happen that it's hard to draw conclusions sometimes. I think we agree though that no matter what your goals you should do whatever you can on your site to improve the revenue per page view and that you should also work to improve traffic.

Last edited by vangogh; 1st November 2006 at 10:22 AM.
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 09:54 AM   #9
deedeedum

Logan,

Great advice, as always

deedeedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Logan
Administrator

Glad its helpful to you

Quote:
Let's say you get a CTR of 5%. I think that's above the average. And let's say you get $1 per click, probably also above the average for many topics.
I know you are just throwing out these as I have thrown out some hypothetical numbers. As you said - "I guess my conclusion is I have no idea.". To some extent that's the brutally honest point I am trying to make which I think is important when evaluating your current situation with Adsense. The assumptions that go into Adsense are very personal because our experiences are typically limited to a single account. Based on my experiences, and with a focus on overall revenue, I have worked on many different adsense accounts thru services that I provide to my clients.

While we have thrown out two hypothetical scenario, the odds are great that others experiences will also be different. And the point is don't be limited to what you think is the potential based on your limited experiences. I've seen small changes as described above make a large difference in revenue. Especially the point about blending/integrating ads. At the same time there are limits. But those limits might suprise you. For example, CTR of 5% = with that one point I have seen much higher consistent click thru rates. Sure, not all. But perhaps a conservative CTR based on my own experiences. What would your reaction be to a page that gets consistently a 35% click thru rate? It is not impossible to achieve based on my experiences. Sound impossible? How about doubling it? I've seen it so I know it is not impossible. At the same time, an assumption like $1 per click may be totally unattainable within many/most market areas. While at the same time over $2 and even higher isn't uncommon for some niches.

Yep, you are right. We pretty much agree vangogh. Although I do think my point is that many are very limited by their single experiences as to the limits of the assumptions made. What if you could double your adsense earning by tomorrow based on the current traffic you have? Is it possible? I don't know, but for others working with these variables alone have produced that sort of result. Sure mileage does vary, and honestly you can't make honey from a mud pile if that is what you have.

Again to me though, as with seo and any advertising/marketing, the key is to focus for the long term on matching leads as closely with advertisers as possible. Need more ideas? Check out your advertiser's websites and see what areas they serve specifically and how you can publish some great content based on that area. The closer and more you match that up the better you will do over the long run based on my experiences. Its amazing what you can glean from someone's website and the going ppc bid rates that are openly available to all.