Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th November 2007, 01:05 AM   #1
EbakvakSEO77

Default Internet Marketing SEO, Questions. Require Your Kind Expertise.

Hello friends.

My name is Ivan from Toronto, Canada. I am a copywriter for a SEO company located in Montreal, Quebec.

Me and my colleagues have run into a little dilemma and I was wondering if you could assist us with your expertise.

We are a search engine optimization company, and are currently working of a FAQ section of our site and by our very nature tend to ask more technical, advanced questions and are afraid of overlooking the obvious. Since SEO is quite a niche practice, I was wondering if you could give us a hand and ask a couple of questions.

SEO Search Engine Optimization, what would be the questions you would ask if you came across that phrase. For Example:

- What is it?
- Who does do?
- and so on, anything that comes to your mind will be of great value to us.

We would greatly appreciate any questions on your part, no matter how small or big! Anything that can help us get that FAQ up there!

I will try to answer all of them.

Thank you, hope to hear from you!
Ivan.

PS.
I did not want to include the URL of the website since this would look like an ad =))))

EbakvakSEO77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th November 2007, 09:37 PM   #2
FHI Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbakvakSEO77 View Post
SEO Search Engine Optimization, what would be the questions you would ask if you came across that phrase. For Example:

- What is it?
- Who does do?
)))
I don't think people should market the term to the general public. It's a foreign term to most people and when you speak a different tongue they will not read/listen to your message. Focus on what SEO does for a company and slowly introduce the term.

Misc examples without using the term:

Do you want people to find your website?

We know how people search the internet for your competitors, we can help them find your site.

Your customers are searching the internet for products/services just like yours using "search terms', we know these terms do you want to know them?

IMHO, if a site needs a FAQ so people can understand what a site is about the site was not written for the end user. If the end user can not understand a site they will find one that they can understand.

my 2 cents

FHI Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
Limozine

For the general public, I prefer to use the term "Internet Marketing," since, as FHI Windows pointed out, most people have no idea what the terms SEO or Search Engine Optimization mean.

Old 1st December 2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Red Paul

I agree with the previous posters that terms like SEO are not generally understood by non-techy people. Words like marketing, search engines and promotion are better to focus on.

FAQs like:
How can [your company name] help me promote my website? might be useful.

Also 'devils advocate' questions like:
Surely Google is sophisticated enough to show people my website when they search for my products?

How about a glossary of terms and abbreviations?
SEO?
PPC?
SERPS?
Page Rank?

It's difficult trying to think like a newbee!

Red Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2007, 05:10 PM   #5
EbakvakSEO77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHI Windows View Post
I don't think people should market the term to the general public. It's a foreign term to most people and when you speak a different tongue they will not read/listen to your message. Focus on what SEO does for a company and slowly introduce the term.

Misc examples without using the term:

Do you want people to find your website?

We know how people search the internet for your competitors, we can help them find your site.

Your customers are searching the internet for products/services just like yours using "search terms', we know these terms do you want to know them?

IMHO, if a site needs a FAQ so people can understand what a site is about the site was not written for the end user. If the end user can not understand a site they will find one that they can understand.

my 2 cents

Thanks so much =). This is exactly what we are trying to do. The assumption however is that the target is at least familiar with the term, since our traffic comes from google under flagship words "SEO" "SEO company" and so on.

Old 1st December 2007, 05:16 PM   #6
EbakvakSEO77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Paul View Post
I agree with the previous posters that terms like SEO are not generally understood by non-techy people. Words like marketing, search engines and promotion are better to focus on.

FAQs like:
How can [your company name] help me promote my website? might be useful.

Also 'devils advocate' questions like:
Surely Google is sophisticated enough to show people my website when they search for my products?

How about a glossary of terms and abbreviations?
SEO?
PPC?
SERPS?
Page Rank?

It's difficult trying to think like a newbee!
Unfortunately we do not rank for "internet marketing" with the closest being "Search Engine Marketing Company" and "Search Engine Marketing" therefore we assume that the target is familiar with the term. SEO is becoming widely recognized across private and corporate circles, however many underestimate its true value and potential. Some might take time to research services without clear understanding, this is where FAQ will explain the advantages with "deeper" links into more advanced FAQ.

What I wanted to do is research the most basic questions people will have, blend explanation with the benefits.

Thanks so much for a taking a second to participate.

Glossary is brilliant!!! Thanks!!! You just lit a bulb, i think it will be very useful for the advanced section =))))

Last edited by EbakvakSEO77; 1st December 2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 1st December 2007, 09:53 PM   #7
EbakvakSEO77

Another one for you folks, hope I dont bother you too much =)

Could you please ask from:

- marketing perspective
- technical side

Would appreciate your input!

Good day.

Old 1st December 2007, 10:42 PM   #8
SEO4Everyone

Search Engine Optimization is a much more widely used keyword phrase when searching in the search engines than internet marketing. This info comes from wordtracker. Great site, never stears me wrong when doing my research. I trust it totally.

SEO4Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 01:14 PM   #9
every1030

Search Engine Optimization is like search engine marketing. It offers special free advertisement that helps products and services. They serve as promotion.

every1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 02:54 AM   #10
worldleader

In my opinion, you should be include these points:

1.What i can benefit from you if i use your service?
2.How you deliver it and when the estimated timeline?
3.One time cost? or subsequent cost?
4.etc

i hope this can help you get the roughly idea of Q&A

worldleader is offline   Reply With Quote