Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th June 2013, 05:35 AM   #1
Linda EFAA

Default Does A Blog Really Help My Ranking In Google?

I have recently been advised that to get better rankings within Google I need to have a blog page on my site that is updated with a new blog at least once a week, can any of you tell me if this is true or not?
If I'm honest I'm hoping it isn't really true as I really don't have the time to be writing blogs, and I wouldn't really know how to add them to my site even if I did!!!
From the advice I was given it sounds like the only way to rank well in Google is to spend hours a week working on your website or making links, and I just don't have the time for all that.
Also I think if I'm writing a blog a week the ideas are going to dry up pretty quickly, and I don't want to be writing rubbish to add to my site just for the sake of updating it, and surely Google doesn't want this either. Someone please help me, I am confused!!!

Linda EFAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th June 2013, 12:48 PM   #2
jgbreeden

It all comes down to being relevant. Whatever niche you are in, when someone types in a search on that topic, you need to have useful information on your site to be considered relevant to that search.

The more useful the information--and the more current it is--the more likely you will show up on the first page of results, which is the live or die point.

So you are correct that writing blog entries when you have nothing to say will not help. But you certainly need a steady supply (not necessarily weekly) of new, useful information.

The other thing is that more articles (I prefer to think in terms of "articles" rather than "blog entries") means more sentences filled with relevant statements about your niche. So when people type in long search phrases, often in the form of questions, there is a good possibility that their question will nearly match a sentence from your site, and you might just be the #1 result on that search. The combined total of "long tail" phrases will end up bringing more traffic than your primary keywords.

jgbreeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 03:04 AM   #3
Mellisa Smith

To add blog section on your website will help to give fresh and unique content to website but it is also true that rather than update blog within a week inspite of there is nothing to write, it is good to write in well manner when some helpful and beneficial information you have regarding your niche because quality also matters in the content. Long tail keyword phrases are beneficial for getting more visibility of the blog post in the search engine because they are low in competition compared to general keywords.

Mellisa Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Joe Micheal

Blog supports website so don't undermine it. Try to create unique and informative contents on your website blog and hyperlink potential webpages by using relevant anchor text. It keeps search engine bot busy on your site and improved your keywords ranking too.

Old 26th June 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
PatprecisionE
VIP Contributor

In addition to creating quality content, make sure that you are also sharing the blog posts through social networks, as well as give users the options to share your content from your site.

PatprecisionE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
platnumcn

Its all about the traffic on your blog and the means with which you drive them. If it is driven through quality content, your ranking should improve on Google. At the same time, if it is done using Black Hat SEO techniques and caught red-handed by Google, you will have no ranking at all in the search engine.

platnumcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 02:44 AM   #7
semaphore.v
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellisa Smith View Post
To add blog section on your website will help to give fresh and unique content to website but it is also true that rather than update blog within a week inspite of there is nothing to write, it is good to write in well manner when some helpful and beneficial information you have regarding your niche because quality also matters in the content. Long tail keyword phrases are beneficial for getting more visibility of the blog post in the search engine because they are low in competition compared to general keywords.
True; I would like to give some addition advice in that.
When you start writing blog find some lover competition + lover search vol keywords. So You don't need to SEO to get this post on TOP ranking and LSI will help you in that..

Old 18th July 2013, 09:08 AM   #8
chinlee

More than you know. It helps but there are also other factors that need to be involved for it to really show what it can do for your website or business.

Old 22nd July 2013, 04:51 AM   #9
Alastair

This is true. And surely blog will help you to capture more audience and above all Google loves content.

Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Mo.AdFountain

Send a message via Skype™ to Mo.AdFountain

Fresh content definitely will help you in a lot of ways.

Firstly, you're telling google that you're updating your website so they will know that it's something useful that they should display to searchers.

Secondly, pick any topic, even if you write about general stuff, changes are you may just suddenly rank if the blog is about a trend or a news story.

Mo.AdFountain is offline   Reply With Quote