Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th January 2007, 12:54 PM   #1
Mari

Unhappy No Hits

I built my site myself with yahoo sitebuilder. It is now over a year and I have not gotten any traffic to my site. I don't know what I have not been doing. As I keep learning about the internet business, I keep making the necessary adjustments with the hope that something happens. Please, I could use some help.
Thanks

Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th January 2007, 03:53 PM   #2
khalidh

Mari,

Let me start with the good news: Your product seems good and with the right marketing you there is a “possibility” of getting sales of the site.

The bad news: The site needs a lot of work before you can think about getting links or hits to it. The site does not look professional at all. The font size is too big, the font type is not easy to read. The buttons are strange. Images of your product do not look great.
For some reason I always link quality for a site to the quality of the product sold on that site. I know that is not always the case. But with a company I do not know, that is the way it goes with me.

My suggestion is to spend some money and hire someone to help you design the site. There are some members on this forum that offer design services for less than $500. After that is completed, you can start thinking about links!

Khalid

khalidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 05:14 PM   #3
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Mari, I agree with khalidh.

I apologize for being so harsh, but your site looks like something a child threw together.

I'm not surprised you're not having any success with it.

My advice: Start all over again from scratch.

If you don't have the money to build a professional looking site, wait until you do.

Also, you're going to need money to market your site, once it's built.

This is Internet marketing, not "Field of Dreams."

Just because you build it, doesn't mean they will come!

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 5th January 2007 at 10:56 AM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
Mari

Thank you for your reply and suggestionKhalidh. One of the reasons why I created the site myself is because of the money. I certainly will take your advise and improve on the issues you mentioned. I look forward to your replies.

Last edited by Mari; 4th January 2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Did not address it to the person who commented
Old 4th January 2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Mari

To Dale King,
If you only knew how much time and money I have spent on this site, perhaps you would have kinder words for me, but I am not looking for sympathy, I am looking for constructive advise. I look forward to becoming as confident as you (smile). Thanks

Old 4th January 2007, 08:13 PM   #6
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Sorry Mari, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but I believe in tough love.

Believe it or not, I'm really a big teddy bear...shhhhhhh

Internet marketing is tough, so you have to be tougher.

Just keep learning and plugging away!

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 4th January 2007 at 08:15 PM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 08:36 PM   #7
jurgen

Hello Mari, I know how you feel and I know how frustrating it can get. But I also know that it can be done and without lots of money. As mentioned in an earlier post, yes, you need alot of optimization. Yahoo sitebuilder and any other site building programs and host will not give you the freedom to do the job right.
These are just templates and you need to put in a few words. And that's about it.
You should start to learn html language and everything else will fall in places. Here is a great site you should visit. Nice people, and very anxious to help with what ever you need. Check it out and tell them I send you.....

www dot bandofgonzos/forum/ dot com

jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 01:24 AM   #8
Crimson Fox

First, of all, You have said that your site gets no traffic.

Do you mean no traffic at all? Or no sales?

If you aren't getting any traffic then it has very little to do with how your site looks. Because people need to visit your site before they can make an opinion about whether it sucks or not.

That being said, you definitely need to redesign your look.
If you can't do it yourself, do you know someone who has an interest in web design, a student, or friend. That's the cheap option.

Or you can actually go out there an hire someone to design and construct a professional site for you. It may be worth the investment.

But as I said at the beginning if you aren't getting any traffic what so ever then you need to fix a number of things.

I see you've already registered with google and by the look of your header you have at least thought about keywords.

You need to get people linked to you as a way to generate traffic. For starters you can fix up your signature so it's a html link with the correct url.

http://www.handdyed… not http:handdyed…

or at least

http://handdyed… not http:handdyed…

Also some local advertising wouldn't hurt and can be very cost effective. You could do something as simple as a flyer with black text on coloured paper. Which could be photocopied rather than professionally printed.

Don't use too many messages on the flyer.
All you need to say is, what you do and where people can find you.
Internet address, store address if you have one and phone number.

Give them a reason to at least look at you're site. What do you do, that is unique to your competition.

But before you really get into getting eyeballs to your site. You are going to need to get it redesigned, so you can keep people coming back.

Hope some of that helps. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 11:03 AM   #9
Mari

Thanks Dale, that was a pretty big bear hug you gave me - almost left me out of breath. For the moment I will need to make the most urgent changes at my site myself. Crimson Fox is correct in the question about - getting sales or traffic ---I mean traffic. No one, from the outside had been into my site. I look forward to any suggestions so that I can make the necessary changes.

Old 7th January 2007, 11:14 AM   #10
Mari

Dear Jurgen,
I will certainly check out the site you mentioned. Yahoo Site builder does not allow for any input except for the tools in the program. I appreciate your advice.