Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th March 2014, 02:48 PM   #1
rr151

Default I Don't Get Why Facebook???

Business Facebook Account…I don’t get it?

Please excuse me as I don’t know the entire correct lingo…

I just joined Facebook and was looking around and I just don’t get the value…I have seen business websites asking their traffic to join their Facebook group.

What I see is a business page that has the last update done in November 12, 2012 and with this the business has 4 likes and nothing updated…it looks abandoned.

I have been trying to understand what local business information about the latest widget has to do with the soccer mom from Kansas City…Facebook is social media not a business platform, right?

To make some sense of the process I joined a how to class and what I got from the class was that most business information on Facebook was boring and usually doesn’t drive much traffic. And so what’s the point then…

Further to the course the presenter went onto talk about building local social Facebook pages that have meaning to the local community and then have the local biz sponsor’s that page.

The example was a local garage sale page that was designed to have the local community post a buy and/or sell stuff like old soccer shoes, etc…

This would have locals buy and sell stuff regularly, thus we have updated information on the page done regularly, plus we now have regular traffic…

The local biz was the sponsor with the main job being to get the word out about the said Facebook page…

The example was a local restaurant that advertised the message about joining them for a meal after their sports event… To cover the lack of quality information on the biz page they added the weekly specials for that select Facebook group…

Is there any other reason to have your biz with Facebook page…

Like I said I just don’t get it?

Please help, Rick

rr151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th March 2014, 09:56 AM   #2
WhiteRhinoMedia

Nothing is harder for a business than building a Facebook presence. Very hard and for 98% a waste of time. I like social media and for some business types FB is good. But majority are nothing but a virtual graveyard of unseen posts.

I would invest my time in other areas of lead generation/customer cultivation that are vastly more effective. Like anything.

Old 8th March 2014, 11:03 AM   #3
OliviaH

Hi,
depending on Facebook for business is nothing more then wasting time,You can utilize that in other are for business advertisement like you can for radio advertisement.

OliviaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 01:51 PM   #4
rr151

Default Another way...

Thru my travels I found another way to use Facebook...

Again I am a complete novice at this Facebook marketing...but this guy sells a product that uses Facebook ads to sell his Kindle Books.

It looks like a fairly steep learning curve for a novice like me but in the end his business is the business of selling Kindle Books to that soccer mom in Kansas City...

I get this use of Facebook because...To be successful at hunting elephants...you first need to go where the elephants roam...

Is there any other ways to use Facebook as a biz marketing tool?

Rick

Last edited by rr151; 8th March 2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 9th March 2014, 04:31 PM   #5
TimmyGriffin

Building an Official Business page in Facebook has several benefits.
Major point are the clients - they are close by. You can easily make a social study.
Communicating with customers and clients will help build a solid reputation for your business.
Nowadays people spend a great deal of their free time in Facebook. That can work as a constant reminder for them that you are still out there. You have new offers, great deals, discounts and so on.
One more thing is SEO. There is one big difference here I would like to make notice of. A personal Facebook profile isn't accessed by Google's crawl bot. However, a business Facebook profile is visible and crawlable for the Google bot. In short, that can have a big impact on your rankings and backlinks.

TimmyGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 07:04 PM   #6
rr151

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyGriffin View Post
Building an Official Business page in Facebook has several benefits.

Major point are the clients - they are close by. You can easily make a social study.

Communicating with customers and clients will help build a solid reputation for your business.

Nowadays people spend a great deal of their free time in Facebook. That can work as a constant reminder for them that you are still out there. You have new offers, great deals, discounts and so on.

One more thing is SEO. There is one big difference here I would like to make notice of. A personal Facebook profile isn't accessed by Google's crawl bot. However, a business Facebook profile is visible and crawlable for the Google bot. In short, that can have a big impact on your rankings and backlinks.
How do you get clients on your Facebook? What's a social study?

What kind of communication can a local business do to get the local soccer mom hold dear and visit daily...some examples would be nice...

How many time will they want to listen you rant about the steak dinner is 10 buck off...

Old 11th March 2014, 01:34 PM   #7
TimmyGriffin

Your website can point to the Facebook business page, that is one way to get people to join.

Social studies refers to a scientific study that involves how people live and organise themselves in society by embracing different disciplines such as history, government, economics, sociology, geography and anthropology.

I believe you have the wrong impression in general. Your Facebook business page isn't about sales pitching. The idea isn't to have a big community of people that aren't interested in what you're offering. It's the exact opposite of that. If he or she liked what you sold, product or service, then they will like your page out of courtesy. However, they might never like another post of it. The point is to engage people who appeal to your business and are willing to see from it.

One other thing, I'm strongly against the spammy posts in Facebook business pages.

TimmyGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 04:45 PM   #8
rr151

Okay, so I understand you correctly...social studies is how people live and organize themselves in society...and in today's society Facebook is an element of today's social studies, right?

Let's say my business is the local Bike and Ski shop...we build a Facebook page to offer new discounts etc...or my Facebook posts maybe only links to my deals on my website...Or as you said: You have new offers, great deals, discounts and so on.

My point is what encourages the local community to join my business page?

My thoughts:

I don't think the business page should be about deals and/or discounts...In this example maybe the business page is the "Exercise for Life" community
and/or a social event.

I sell bikes on my website and store. On my Facebook page my business supports and encourages the local community to make riding a bike a part of their lifestyle. We create community events on the Facebook page and it is not a sales tool. More people that convert to this new lifestyle more bikes I sell...

The Facebook page becomes the organizational tool used by the community talking about many topics about the said event.

Example:

Facebook fan 1 broke his 5 mile record,

Facebook fan 2 writes on what the even meant to him/her...etc...

I would identify a team of community members that have great organizational skills. Once identified enlist them as the leaders...Point here is the content is created by the community not the business owner...the business owner is just the support tool to the social event held every May 1st at the local park.

At the event the business has the display of the latest and greatest bikes, local restaurant has free soup, which is their famous recipe...try it at the event and get a discount coupon for your next visit to the restaurant...If successful the event organizers enlist other local businesses to support the event.

The business doesn't advertise on this Facebook page they support the community through the Facebook event.

Just my 2 cents...Rick

Last edited by rr151; 11th March 2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12th March 2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Cindy16

Yes Facebook is a social media... But since Facebook has become a ground where many people hang out to, many business owners have taken this is a great opportunity for them to present/promote their products and services.

Bottom line, the more crowded a place is, the more business opportunity it has.

Old 12th March 2014, 01:34 PM   #10
rr151

Thanks Cindy...

Okay the local biz owner builds a page with the understanding that there are a ton of people visiting Facebook daily.

Are there any stats on how long a average visit takes. How much time of their day does the Facebook account owner spend on Facebook? With that what are they generally looking for and how do they use Facebook?

There has to be stats on this...

Next, when adding content I am curious to know?

What type of biz content to add? Just sales and coupons or actual educational content...

How often to add it or what effort is needed to create and add content to the biz page?

Who owns my content once added to Facebook?

How do I market my new Facebook page?

Is it just within Facebook or within my custom marketing of my website and local biz...are we diluting our message to include a reason to join our Facebook page...or do we jump all in and just market our Facebook page and forget other biz marketing...

What if: Nobody likes your biz page...what impact does it have on your biz reputation as a whole. Example: Four months later with intense marketing we just have 4 likes shown on our website...

What is the overall marketing goal with a Facebook page?

And more importantly,

How do we track the Facebook marketing to find out if it is adding $$$ to the bottom line?

Just thinking out loud here and wondering how to make money with a Facebook page...like I said, I still don't understand why Facebook?