Of course your results may vary, but if you apply these lessons, the ones I learned the hard way. You will be way ahead in time and money than I was.
These are quick hitters and will not be explained in detail.
1. Your not going to be rich overnight - undestand that putting up a website, even with items at great prices that everyone wants it will take time to build that customer base and get ranked.
2. Your results are perfectly designed for your site. What you get is directly tied to how you designed your site, marketed it, and promoted it. Dont expect different results if your doing the exact same thing day in and day out, want different results -change the current process.
3. Dont be fooled by the snake oil man. If it sounds too good then it is. You cannot be ranked #1 overnight, no matter who does it for you, no matter how much you pay for it. SEO takes time and effort and study and patience and proper site design. Watch out for everyone who wants your money.
4. The customer still is #1. This rule will never change no matter how much we want to be compensated for our efforts and service level. The customer is still boss and you better treat them right, prompt service, filling of orders quickly, follow up on email responses. Do you know I have made additional sales and received testimonials from messing up? Thats right..we may have shipped a wrong item - and in the process of resolving the customer added items to be purchased. Amazing!!! but its a part of the customer service return.
5. Slow is the way its gonna go. You first start out with two orders a day -celebrate you have orders your doing something right. You then go to four orders a day - I know you want more, but celebrate you doubled your sales and so it goes. It will take time and seem like its not happening fast enough, but if your patient enough you will get there.
6. Its cheaper to sell to existing customers than gain new ones. This is so trure!!! Once you have a satisfied customer that customer is going to buy from you again than try someone else they dont know. Its a trust issue and once you have that - you have a customer for life.
7. Keep in contact. Refer back to #6. Can you imagine if you sent an actual hand written note to your best customers what they would think? Not an email which can be blasted out to thousands, but it takes time to send out a hand written note - that will be valued.
8. Keep em coming back. Give your customer a reason to come back. We sent out a Johnny Lew Contest in which a question was asked and the answer could only be found by visting the site www.johnnylew.com
9. Blood Sweat & Laughs and sometimes tears. This is what its going to take to create your own business. No one else is going to do it for you. Persistance and relentlessness. Not listening to those who say it wont work. That should be inspirational and not demotivating when someone tells you that. Keep learning, trying and you will succeed.
10. Dont give up!!! taking points 1-9 and going over them again and again - if you give up its because you've lost your passion - you may have been a day away of getting that big break that sent you on your way. In the USA you can do anything you set your mind and efforts on.