Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Did you find this helpful?
Yes 4 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23rd September 2008, 03:43 PM   #1
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default 10 Secrets To My Online Success

Of course your results may vary, but if you apply these lessons, the ones I learned the hard way. You will be way ahead in time and money than I was.

These are quick hitters and will not be explained in detail.

1. Your not going to be rich overnight - undestand that putting up a website, even with items at great prices that everyone wants it will take time to build that customer base and get ranked.

2. Your results are perfectly designed for your site. What you get is directly tied to how you designed your site, marketed it, and promoted it. Dont expect different results if your doing the exact same thing day in and day out, want different results -change the current process.

3. Dont be fooled by the snake oil man. If it sounds too good then it is. You cannot be ranked #1 overnight, no matter who does it for you, no matter how much you pay for it. SEO takes time and effort and study and patience and proper site design. Watch out for everyone who wants your money.

4. The customer still is #1. This rule will never change no matter how much we want to be compensated for our efforts and service level. The customer is still boss and you better treat them right, prompt service, filling of orders quickly, follow up on email responses. Do you know I have made additional sales and received testimonials from messing up? Thats right..we may have shipped a wrong item - and in the process of resolving the customer added items to be purchased. Amazing!!! but its a part of the customer service return.

5. Slow is the way its gonna go. You first start out with two orders a day -celebrate you have orders your doing something right. You then go to four orders a day - I know you want more, but celebrate you doubled your sales and so it goes. It will take time and seem like its not happening fast enough, but if your patient enough you will get there.

6. Its cheaper to sell to existing customers than gain new ones. This is so trure!!! Once you have a satisfied customer that customer is going to buy from you again than try someone else they dont know. Its a trust issue and once you have that - you have a customer for life.

7. Keep in contact. Refer back to #6. Can you imagine if you sent an actual hand written note to your best customers what they would think? Not an email which can be blasted out to thousands, but it takes time to send out a hand written note - that will be valued.

8. Keep em coming back. Give your customer a reason to come back. We sent out a Johnny Lew Contest in which a question was asked and the answer could only be found by visting the site www.johnnylew.com

9. Blood Sweat & Laughs and sometimes tears. This is what its going to take to create your own business. No one else is going to do it for you. Persistance and relentlessness. Not listening to those who say it wont work. That should be inspirational and not demotivating when someone tells you that. Keep learning, trying and you will succeed.

10. Dont give up!!! taking points 1-9 and going over them again and again - if you give up its because you've lost your passion - you may have been a day away of getting that big break that sent you on your way. In the USA you can do anything you set your mind and efforts on.

Old 1st October 2008, 10:59 AM   #2
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default #11 Email

I have to add one more to the list. #11 Email Marketing.

I avoided this for a while because I was using a cheap program that allowed me to send mass emails and kept minimal metrics - it was $25.00 per month. Well I got $25.00 of service and I stopped emailing because every time I sent a campaign I got so many spam compliants that the service had remove my list.

Well I tried again with a firm that provided many services, like the ability to add the customer demographics (ie, First Name, Last Name, Full Name, Category of Purchases) and automatic email send to customers after they made a purchase, they even had a tool that let me create HTML emails using data from my website.

The service costs $100 per month - but a huge difference - way less spam compliants - orders up.

I guess you do get what you pay for!!!

Old 3rd October 2008, 07:23 PM   #3
IV Studios

Hey johnnylew, thanks for the pep talk!

IV Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 10:59 AM   #4
youbetcha1018

This is really interesting and very informative. I truly believe that no one in this world can get rich in just a day's work. I also like your rule #4, customer is always #1 this is soo true. We must make our customers satisfied, they should get what they want and what they expected. But not always, I mean there are few customers who are a little abusive of their rights. But anyhow, customers are always right. These tips posted by johnnylew is much help. Thanks.

youbetcha1018 is offline   Reply With Quote