Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th April 2009, 02:20 AM   #1
sahota

Default Which CMS You Would Prefer For ECommerce Website?

Hi, (I posted this question under website development but didn't got any answer, thought this section of forum has lot of people active so any inputs form you guys would be great)

I am new to content management software. Yes I can understand HTML, CSS and also PHP a bit. Also being working in software field (Working in other languages such as JAVA), it won't be I guess difficult for me to work with CMS.

I have developed few websites using simply HTML and CSS and hand coding them in notepad. But the next website I am developing will be consisting of around 100 products. So I was thinking it will be difficult to just use same method to develop that website and then scale it further.

So what should I use Drupal or Joomla ?
And yes this website I am talking about will not be a blog it will be a eCOMMERCE website. Anybody here who has developed eCommerce website using Drupal or Joomla, please share your thoughts.

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th April 2009, 08:27 AM   #2
ompundit

Default My preferences

Since this site will be ecommerce I would stay away from all open source, like Drupal and Joomla, the security issues are just too great. I would also look to a ecommerce CMS solution versus a generic CMS.

For such a limited product selection, lite commerce and/or x-cart might be possible candidates. Both of these are easy to manage, are very user friendly, have a lot of features, and have modules you can get to expand there functionality. They recieve security updates often, which is a good thing.

If you want something friendly to development and has the potential to really expand once your site takes of, maybe go with Kentico, they have a free version you can use with limited users, and you can upgrade to one of the paid licenses once you make money off the site. Kentico is .net based, but it's very powerful with a ton of features. If you don't think you will ever expand your products or need any heavy custom work, then this one would probably be overkill. It is so massive in terms of what it can do, it can be hard to learn.

There are a lot of others out there, best thing you can do is make sure you research all of the options. Search the web for comments and ratings about the ones your looking at. Make sure to check all features and that they include everything you need, example would be if they have the ability to connect to your payment processor, or is this something you will have to have custom made, if so, figure the price of that into the total cost. Also look at sites using that software, look if they have hacker safe seals, I personally like McAfee's, that will give you a real world idea of how safe they are for your customers protection and your own.

ecommerce is different than a standard website because your dealing with collecting customer data, CC information, and proccessing payments. Make sure you have a solid base for your operation from the start.

Hope this helps

ompundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 04:30 PM   #3
sahota

I was thinking to reduce complexity of online payment processing at this moment and was looking forward to use Google Checkout or Paypal . I think using these I need not to worry about security as then Google or Paypal will process all card details and anything related to customer information.

Please share your views I am just diving into new world. I have earlier made webiste using simply HTML/CSS and paypal. So I was just thinking to use Drupal or Joomla to generate detailed product content pages and category pages and use Paypal or google to process payment.

Old 6th May 2009, 02:47 AM   #4
KirkEisele

Hi Sahota,

There's an eCommerce platform that is getting some good buzz called Magento. It isn't as widely known as general frameworks like Drupal/Joomla/Wordpress but is aimed at ecommerce. A friend of mine built a site on it recently. You can check out the site as an example at efitology.com. He picked it because one of his developers had some experience with it in the past but he is pretty sold on it.

There was a show of hands at a geek event in Santa Monica for people who were working with it and it has a pretty good following at least in the LA area... Might be a good option for you.

Payment processing sucks. You probably want to go with Paypal over Google for it. Google is really just a front for the card companies while Paypal actually is a processor in addition to fronting for the cards. It gives your clients more options and it's easier for you in terms of moving your money around.

That's my opinion of course... I'm sure there will be others!

Kirk

KirkEisele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 03:27 PM   #5
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It's great to start with low-impact payment processing like PayPal or Google Checkout. That's a low-risk, low-initial-cost way of dipping your toe in the waters of ecommerce. No need to rush in to obtaining a merchant account right away. Seriously!

But at some point if you do things right you're probably going to want to get a real merchant account and start processing your own payments. Up to a point, it's actually less expensive to use third-party processors like PayPal, but after awhile if the business grows it becomes much less expensive to run your own merchant account. The difference can be staggering, and only gets larger the larger the business grows.

So while it might be tempting to start with something non-ecommerce (like Drupal or Joomla or whatever), honestly your best bet would be to plan for the future, take the plunge, and set up real store software. Most will integrate nicely with PayPal and/or Google Checkout, but they will also give you the option of fairly seamlessly migrating to a merchant account on down the line (or adding on -- nothing says you have to stop accepting PayPal just because you also have a merchant account).

Otherwise, when/if you get to that point, you'll find yourself having to recode and reconfigure your entire store in order to migrate to a real ecommerce platform, or going through significant gyrations to try to shoehorn your existing CMS into becoming an ecommerce platform, which it was likely never designed to be.

Store software is no harder to setup or configure than Joomla, in my experience. In fact, if what you're setting up is a store, using "real" store software will probably be easier and more intuitive than trying to juggle Joomla or Drupal into doing something they were never really intended to do.

Zencart, OScommerce, the alternatives mentioned previously in this thread, and many others... all are good choices. It's just a matter of checking them out and determining which one(s) can provide the options you need to accommodate the types of products you plan to sell.

But whatever you decide, I strongly recommend you use a product designed for ecommerce, not a general-purpose CMS.

My

--Torka

Old 7th May 2009, 05:22 AM   #6
MooMan

I would have a look at Prestashop or Magento, Magento has a bigger community and more advanced cart than prestashop, but Prestashop is lightning fast even on a shared server and very simple to setup also both are very seo friendly.

MooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 09:04 AM   #7
sahota

Thanks everyone for the help . So I will then try something which is designed for eCommerce than a generic CMS like joomla. Thanks guys for the help

Old 11th May 2009, 12:12 PM   #8
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Excellent decision.

--Torka

Old 21st May 2009, 10:26 PM   #9
thomas09

Hi,

I think Magento is the best shopping cart software to develop ecommerce website.

thomas09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 05:50 AM   #10
flimsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas09 View Post
Hi,

I think Magento is the best shopping cart software to develop ecommerce website.
yep... Magento cart is the best one for any serious webshop.

flimsy is offline   Reply With Quote