Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th April 2009, 07:35 AM   #1
sahota

Default Which Content Management Software Is Best?

Hi,
I would like any inputs from everyone here about there views about CMS, what you use, whats your experience. I think Joomla and Drupal are quite popular but would love to hear from you as many here might already be using these and others.

I am new to content management software. Yes I can understand HTML, CSS and also PHP a bit. Also being working in software field (Working in other languages such as JAVA), it won't be I guess difficult for me to work with CMS.

I have developed few websites using simply HTML and CSS and hand coding them in notepad. But the next website I am developing will be consisting of around 100 products. So I was thinking it will be difficult to just use same method to develop that website and then scale it further.

But lot of people I know of have even suggest me to use HTML, CSS and then hand code PHP modules for database . As they think it is best way for making a website which is Search Engine friendly. But looking at Drupal introduction i think they have addresses any issues for search friendliness.

Please provide any inputs you can.

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th June 2009, 05:02 PM   #2
jazzdrive3

Wordpress will probably be best if you're just doing content. But I'm in love with Drupal. So many modules that you can extend it to do pretty much anything.

jazzdrive3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Chris Glover

I'm using Joomla, and I think it's fantastic. Very powerful when you think about how simple it is to us.

Its true value in my opinion is the various supported open source mods that let you integrate with other content management systems and or other systems.

I have phpBB3 forums integrated with my Joomla site as an example. You create an account on the Joomla site and one gets created in phpBB3 and vice versa. Very powerful stuff.

Chris Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2009, 09:41 PM   #4
howtechhelpsbiz

The more powerful a CMS system is, usually it's complexity increases as well. At my full time job we use a CMS from Vignette, and it takes me 3 days to set it up...and I've done it 5 times.

Now I'm definately not suggesting going that complex, but you will have to evaluate what you want from a CMS. If it's just a few pages then WordPress is really awesome, and I would recommend it as well.

howtechhelpsbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:24 PM   #5
rebelnetworks

well the reality is -- they are all good - wordpress is great for smaller sites typically - Joomla is most popluar for larger sites, but but can he hacked as it popular and lost of exploits

Drupel, Mambo are excellent choices as well

rebelnetworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 08:26 AM   #6
rakeshibow

I agree. Outplacement is a very valuable service companies can provide to exiting employees. Presented correctly, outplacement will help to reduce unemployment claims, the company's reputation in the market, and as stated the time that it takes an employee to find their next position.
IT solution

rakeshibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Billy Morgan

I hate Joomla as it consumes all the resources it can find on my server. Bitrix and Netcat are probably the best (both are commercial) but Netcat isn't easy to setup. Wordpress is very good but you can't use it for a commercial website.

Billy Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 01:13 AM   #8
Nikita Novak

Send a message via MSN to Nikita Novak Send a message via Skype™ to Nikita Novak

I believe in Joomla. Maybe because before using it I read a book on it which was kind of motivational at some point (something that even so you have a gut feeling that it may be bias, you still fall for it). Never the less, I checked it out on my own and like the potential Joomla provides, it is powerful and I love that.
Also I do like WordPress.
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for/what you need; sometimes less sophisticated CMS (which I would say about WordPress) can be great and be a whole world and in other cases it might be a little island in the ocean, so you will need something that won’t be as light, but will provide more (here I would say Joomla). I find both of them convenient... they are popular for a reason I guess.

Another good one that I had a feel of is MODx. That I had recently found through one of my clients who needed some design updates. Personally I liked it, well and not only me… according to my client, managers of his company and some partners overseas who had to make minor updates on regular bases told that it is very easy and they loved it.

If I had to choose one, I would choose Joomla; which I am doing soon for one of my websites. I just like a lot of potential and directions to go in.

Nikita Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 04:21 AM   #9
Jason123

It depends on what you want to use it for because if you want something a little complex then wordpress probably won't be any good.

If it's for ecommerce then I would say zencart

Jason123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 08:23 PM   #10
MrGamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahota View Post
Please provide any inputs you can.
There are three very popular ones. Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress.

Wordpress has a tendency to break from one upgrade to the next, but it can get you up and running really fast.

Joomla seems to be losing popularity to Wordpress, but it offers a little bit more at the expense of being awkward.

Drupal is designed or architecture a little nicer apparently and offers a slightly more professional solution.

Mind you... I actually don't use any of them and have only worked briefly on some of the websites.

Some of the up and coming CMSs are Expression Engine and Concrete5

Hope that helps...

MrGamma is offline   Reply With Quote