Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd April 2009, 08:52 AM   #1
sahota

Default Don't Do Mistake Of Forgetting Google Images Search? Free Traffic

I joined this forum few days back only so thought to contribute something which has proven quite successful for me:

GOOGLE IMAGES

Have you recently tried seeing How Google is showing results in some search pages? It does show image results too and to everyone's surprise people do click on these images and some even buy something. My personal experience is conversion is less , but then what if you can get some sales its not bad.

Now how to get ranked for Google Images:

1. Use alt and title attributes for image tags properly. Specify the keywords. Please don't spam these attributes with lot of words, just mention what the image is all about.
2. If possible just above the image make a heading, and use some keywords related to image in that heading.
3. Image size should be decent enough approx greater than say 200X250 pixels (its just my guess after observing how my images have been listed)
4.If you use GOOGLE webmaster tools, there is a setting in it to enable IMAGE LABELING for your website, enable that.

Leave it to Google to do the MAGIC. Not every image of your website will rank well. But say you have 100 product images and if you are able to get good ranking for 10 products you will get some traffic daily to your website.

For me now a days I am getting 3% of traffic form images. And in last one year I got 1% of sales from traffic through Google Image Search.

For those who would like to spend bit more time in understanding it better here is video from GOOGLE itself:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...ge-search.html

I hope you liked my first post to share this information with you and I will contribute with much more in future Obviously if you all think its worth it. So give me

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 23rd April 2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing, keep it up!

My experience is the same regarding image optimization converting at a lower rate, but it's great you've been able to associate it with 1% of your sales. I'd be interested in hearing from any others that have seen some conversions from image search, even if at a lower rate than they are used to from other search.

Old 24th April 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
mattcarpet
VIP Contributor

I honestly never thought to optimize images for google search an alt tag sure but to include a title too...something to think on anyway.

Summer Logo Special Now in Effect
mattcarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 07:55 PM   #4
homebizseo.com
VIP Contributor

Image searches provide very little traffic from my experience.

Old 25th April 2009, 01:28 AM   #5
urvi88

Thanks for the suggestion, as i really do not know about this.

urvi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 09:57 AM   #6
sahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebizseo.com View Post
Image searches provide very little traffic from my experience.
But every little counts. Say you have 100 products and you get 1 visit per product per day from google images, you will get 100 visits a day. And I think its not bad to get as much traffic as possible. Most of people might not buy if they come through google images, still you can entice them with some exciting offers to build your list. Might be offer something free so that they sign up. I mean little traffic from google images today might be big tomorrow.

Old 29th April 2009, 12:36 PM   #7
carlar9

Good advice. I'm been doing this for awhile and it does help.

carlar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 01:29 PM   #8
JLeesCastro

Send a message via Skype™ to JLeesCastro

I've definitely found increased traffic from Google image search on pages that have well-tagged images... but the downside is that image searchers are often not that interested in the actual content of your site (unless yours is a pictoral one, such as photography or clipart).

Joanna

JLeesCastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 01:57 PM   #9
sahota

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeesCastro View Post
but the downside is that image searchers are often not that interested in the actual content of your site (unless yours is a pictoral one, such as photography or clipart).

Joanna
Joanna, things are changing quite quickly with Google. I would say just try to provide good quality pictures and describe them better. When you search for a product , even then Google sometimes display some images in first page of results. So might be if your image interests the visitor he or she might make a purchase as they might be looking for product but then they looked at images displayed in search results that they liked it and made them to purchase the product.

Old 29th April 2009, 03:04 PM   #10
JLeesCastro

Send a message via Skype™ to JLeesCastro

That makes sense for product images. For many of my clients (as well as my own site), they may be general images that accompany an idea in the text on the page (eg, "marketing" or "retail", etc) in which case the connection with the monetization goal is less clear.

Joanna

JLeesCastro is offline   Reply With Quote