Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st February 2009, 04:24 PM   #1
jem

Default How Many Postcards Is Considered A Good Test?

Hi,

Any DM experts out there care to offer some guidance?

We are dipping our toes (probably upto our knees now I would guess) into the DM pool.

Have done a few letters and postcards. Response has been OK - but wondered what a good number to test is? 100? 200? 500?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Simon

jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd February 2009, 11:29 AM   #2
dimesoftjohn

Default dm sample

Before I could answer that, I'd have to ask a few questions. What's the percentage of 100, 500 or 1,000 sample vs. the total market. Is the sample a fair mix of what is represented in the whole?

dimesoftjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 05:16 PM   #3
bluejay47

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on your industry and who you're sending them to -- Brand new people vs. your contacts or people in your network. Might depend on the content -- free item vs. informational vs. coupon vs. selling a service/product. In the past I always sent to a couple thousand and got about 1-2% response rate. It's probably best to send to a smaller number (large enough to get a response) and then alter your strategy based on the response.

bluejay47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 02:26 PM   #4
proprint1

Default This is what I know

As a rule, the first mailing will end up in trash, the secong mailing is read by under 5% of the people, It's the third mailing that will get their attention. When I do mailing for my clients, most experienced businesses will print for 3 mailing all at once (to take advantage of the quantity disount), They schedule 3 mailings, some time up to 7. We do the rest automatic. I do tell many, many , many long time clients not to do a post card campaign if they are not willing to do it AT LEAST 3 times, you may want to do a smaller size campaign & repeat that 3 times, it's up to you.

I hope this helped.

proprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 04:46 AM   #5
Aquarian8601

Send a message via AIM to Aquarian8601 Send a message via MSN to Aquarian8601 Send a message via Yahoo to Aquarian8601
Default Direct Mail Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by proprint1 View Post
As a rule, the first mailing will end up in trash, the secong mailing is read by under 5% of the people, It's the third mailing that will get their attention. When I do mailing for my clients, most experienced businesses will print for 3 mailing all at once (to take advantage of the quantity disount), They schedule 3 mailings, some time up to 7. We do the rest automatic. I do tell many, many , many long time clients not to do a post card campaign if they are not willing to do it AT LEAST 3 times, you may want to do a smaller size campaign & repeat that 3 times, it's up to you.

I hope this helped.
Are you saying that I would have to mail 3 times to the same mailing address?

Aquarian8601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Are you saying that I would have to mail 3 times to the same mailing address?
Yes, that is the scenario proprint is suggesting.

Old 8th February 2009, 09:32 AM   #7
jacobean

Quote:

I hope this helped.

Very interesting what you are saying...what time intervals between drops do you suggest AND what day of the week is best in your experience?

jacobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 09:05 PM   #8
jem

Many thanks for the replies.

When you say 3 mailings to the same addr I am guessing you mean different mailings (similar to Dan Kennedy's 3 step mailing system). You don't mean the same thing 3 times - do you?

For more background it is for NEW customers - they don't know us. The market is small businesses in Monmouth County NJ.

Very much interested to see the answer to intervals between drops and day of week - we have been shooting for early in the week (Mon or Tues) figuring it is quieter in retail on those days, but thats just a guess really.

Many thanks

Simon

jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 05:33 PM   #9
proprint1

Default Depends

It depends, If you are not selling something seasonal or a limited offer & the postcard is to introduce your company, services, free estimate or anything offer that can last for a while, why not? The idea is to keep the looks of the post card the same, the thing about the same post card is that it shows to the clients that, this is the same guy who was around a while back and
1- He is still around (not a fly by night)
2- Offer must be good if it worked before & he is repeating it
3- Sometimes they read it to see " what the heck is this thing I am getting so often"?

The point is to make the client read it! & for how often, every 5 to 6 weeks is good, depending on the offer & the periodical use of such offer, (oil change vs tax service)
Hope this helped.

proprint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Aquarian8601

Send a message via AIM to Aquarian8601 Send a message via MSN to Aquarian8601 Send a message via Yahoo to Aquarian8601
Default How Many Postcards Is Considered A Good Test?

Quote:
It depends, If you are not selling something seasonal or a limited offer & the postcard is to introduce your company, services, free estimate or anything offer that can last for a while, why not? The idea is to keep the looks of the post card the same, the thing about the same post card is that it shows to the clients that, this is the same guy who was around a while back and
1- He is still around (not a fly by night)
2- Offer must be good if it worked before & he is repeating it
3- Sometimes they read it to see " what the heck is this thing I am getting so often"?

The point is to make the client read it! & for how often, every 5 to 6 weeks is good, depending on the offer & the periodical use of such offer, (oil change vs tax service)
Hope this helped.

LMAO!!!! I get what you're saying, because I get the same offers every time and finally I decided to say your quote "what the heck is this thing I am getting so often?" lol

Alright but what if you don't have that much money to do posting each week? I mean if I was to send 300 mailings that's $126 worth of stamps. I mean I don't mind doing the postcards to the same people but it would have to be once a month. Is this good?

Aquarian8601 is offline   Reply With Quote