Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Ideas Forum Info > New Member Introductions
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th December 2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Action Burt

Default Hello

Hi guys and girls

Looking for inspiration and motivation for my new business.

My wife has given me 6 mths to make a go of it.....so here I am.

Be speaking to you all soon hopefully

Last edited by Action Burt; 1st January 2008 at 04:52 AM.
Action Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th December 2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Welcome aboard

Old 19th December 2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Linda
VIP Contributor

Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Good luck with the new venture!

Old 20th December 2007, 07:02 AM   #4
mktgbiz

Ready when you are.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 12:20 PM   #5
wandas11

Welcome to the forum.

wandas11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 06:26 PM   #6
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

to the forum.

Good luck with things! See ya!

Old 21st December 2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Action Burt

Thank you for your welcomes

A little bit about me...

I'm 39, married with a 7mth baby girl. I worked in an office for many years and hated it.

I had a large profit share two years ago... the second it was in my bank I quit my job, bought two vans and started "Mr Move it" removals and clearance services.

I joined eBay in march and started buying and selling vintage toys.
I then started restoring them and now have customers all over the world.

This was a part time thing to start with, but Iv decided to sell my vans and start running a vintage toy shop and restoration business full time from my computer, as of now.

So I will be looking for loads of advice from you guys.

Last edited by Action Burt; 21st December 2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 21st December 2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Crimson Fox

That's a real niché you are looking at so I'd be tackling it from this angle, assuming that you are starting from scratch with a small budget. With only 6 months to spend to get the ball really moving. Marketing is going to be your biggest challenge.

1. You'll need a website that makes it easy to purchase and/or contact you. That will be your shop front, your catalogue. Your point of contact.

2. Become an expert. Start a blog about vintage toys and the industry. Make it easy for people searching for information on the topic to find you and then recognize you as an expert in your field.

3. Involve yourself in everything to do with vintage toys. Online forums, toy fairs, swap meets etc etc.

4. Business cards are cheap and really effective. So if you want to spend any money offline. That's where I would spend it. Go for simplicity and quality, rather than stuffing the card full of info they can get from your website. Give out cards to everyone you meet who may be interested in your topic.

5. If you do repairs, make yourself known to toys shops or anyone that people may contact with their vintage toys.

That's just 5 to start with. I'm sure others have more suggestions for you. I'll look forward to hearing how it all goes.

I'm also assuming that you have ebay covered. You've made sure your about us page on ebay is effective and you are following up with your current clients You may also have placed an ebay classified ad about toy repairs.

Good Luck.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2008, 04:55 AM   #9
Action Burt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Fox View Post
That's a real niché you are looking at so I'd be tackling it from this angle, assuming that you are starting from scratch with a small budget. With only 6 months to spend to get the ball really moving. Marketing is going to be your biggest challenge.

1. You'll need a website that makes it easy to purchase and/or contact you. That will be your shop front, your catalogue. Your point of contact.

2. Become an expert. Start a blog about vintage toys and the industry. Make it easy for people searching for information on the topic to find you and then recognize you as an expert in your field.

3. Involve yourself in everything to do with vintage toys. Online forums, toy fairs, swap meets etc etc.

4. Business cards are cheap and really effective. So if you want to spend any money offline. That's where I would spend it. Go for simplicity and quality, rather than stuffing the card full of info they can get from your website. Give out cards to everyone you meet who may be interested in your topic.

5. If you do repairs, make yourself known to toys shops or anyone that people may contact with their vintage toys.

That's just 5 to start with. I'm sure others have more suggestions for you. I'll look forward to hearing how it all goes.

I'm also assuming that you have ebay covered. You've made sure your about us page on ebay is effective and you are following up with your current clients You may also have placed an ebay classified ad about toy repairs.

Good Luck.

Some excellent advice there Crimson Fox

Thank you very much.

Old 13th May 2009, 06:29 AM   #10
Action Burt

Wow, I haven't posted in a long time.

Since my last post my Internet business has really taken off.
A lot of time lurking through the 100's of posts a few years ago on this website gave me so much inspiration and I learned a lot.

I've read so many times that doing something you love is one the secrets to success....and its right.
Quite by accident my business started and now if you google my name its all over the web.

And the best part is I've been able to spend most days at home with my baby (who is now two) while still making a good living.

Only downside from working from home is I've put on two stone

So a big thanks to this forum...its great