Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th May 2009, 02:15 PM   #1
scorpion111466

Default Any Unique Ideas?

Here's my story.....I was recently layed off from my job. There are no jobs available in the area. Moving to a new area is not an option. So here I am wanting to start up my own business but have no idea what to do. Hopefully you can help me come up with some ideas. Here is my background.....

*I'm 42 years old.
*I've mainly managed restaurants throughout my life.
*I was a shipper / reciever for 5 years.
*I was a tour guide for a year.
*Did a couple of years in retail.
*Have some experience with website design.
*Don't have a lot of money (maybe a couple thousand at most) and no access to any more.
*I live in a city that has a big tourist industry during the spring and summer time.
*My wife owns and operates her own daycare.

So hopefully this information will help you steer me in the right direction. I don't necessarily care what I am doing as long as it's my own business. I appreciate any ideas that you can give me. Though, please no suggestions about doing marketing or any "get rich quick" schemes.

Thanks again!

scorpion111466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th May 2009, 03:48 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Perhaps something that takes advantage of the tourist traffic and the current economy, where people don't want to spend a lot of money unnecessarily? Maybe a web-based guide with reviews of lesser-known "bargain fun" tourist attractions and inexpensive, family-friendly restaurants in the area? You could sell advertising on the site. You might also be able to get the restaurants and attractions to pay for "enhanced" listings.

Or maybe lead group excursions to some of the "bargain fun" destinations. Or both.

Or perhaps (depending on the type of tourist trade the area attracts), go for the high end tourists who still have money to spend, offering some kind of highly personalized "concierge" service or something along those lines.

I'm sure your wife's daycare has its own regular clientele, but maybe you could put your heads together and come up with a way to provide "drop in" daycare service for tourists (and locals, too, maybe?) who want to visit a "grown up" destination but are traveling with younger kids. Might be something y'all could do in the evenings after "normal" day care hours, but when people might want to go out to a fancy restaurant or to see a movie or something like that.

The main thing is to find something you find interesting and fun to do. It's really, really hard work to get a new business off the ground, but when you're working on something you enjoy, it doesn't seem like such a tough slog. You're much more likely to put in the time and effort required if it's something you love.

My

--Torka

Old 6th May 2009, 04:23 PM   #3
scorpion111466

Thanks Torka. Those are the best and well thought out suggestions I've recieved ever. I appreciate it. It gives me something to think about.

scorpion111466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Biz Optimizer

Default Red flags?

Maybe you ought to rethink the sales thing and gain some sales experience while you decide the right path? It is AWFULLY hard to run your own business without management, financial and ESPECIALLY sales experience.

And retail is not sales - sales is go find my prospect and figure out how to capture them and turn them into a customer (get him to part with his money). Or maybe you become the salesman for the daycare until it supports you too.

Even if you had an idea today, you might be looking at months before any income comes in - and lots would be going out. With your job history, situation and finances, you haven't been setting yourself up for this - there doesn't appear to be a path laid.

Maybe this is a good time to start the path and wait till you've created success going down the path before you jump into something that can easily pull the whole house's finances down?

Torka has some great thoughts, but I would suggest you do them on the side and ensure the bases are covered today first. You don't want to take a bad situation and make it worse. Then plot the path to find the things that will best ensure you are successful - your passion - and new skills.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Biz Optimizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Action Burt

Hi there

I agree with the above comment about your wife's daycare business.
If its doing well maybe you could help it expand and take it to the next level using the skills you have.

In the meantime you cant beat a bit of ebaying to make an income. I started off selling a few things on the bay and now sell full time from there plus my own sites.

Good luck

Action Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:43 AM   #6
scott cline

Default Any Unique Ideas?

Since you have been a tour guide and you have a good tourist location, you may want to work with your skills helping tourist with locations of intrest, hotels, restraunts, etc. Most people only have a guide book or advice from someone that has gone to your location.
Good Luck.

scott cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:00 PM   #7
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

I basically agree with the above comments. But if you really want to get started for yourself, the web design is probably the least amount of 'up front' capital. You could also do that as a part time/evening thing while you maintain some other source of income.

You could canvas local business to help them. Don't know if you are good at SEO, or what your design skills are. If you need to purchase a bunch of software, you're back to an investment. But if you've done it in the past, the 'part time until you really get it going' could be the key to your problem.

Hope this help! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Lentrepot

I agree with Torka, putting up a business that will interest you or within your hobbies or experienced was great. Good luck for your new business. I'm sure it will be a success.

Lentrepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Hugha

Here's my favorite description of a new/small business: "It's not sexy."

Sexy tends to mean there is a lot of competition.

I started my business a year ago and we are still picking up momentum. It is very unglamorous but the start up costs were a bit steep.

So try to find a product or service that is very common but has minimal competition.

Not a specific answer for you, but something to think about.

Hugha is offline   Reply With Quote