Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th October 2010, 08:46 AM   #51
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

@bradmarcus I agree there, I have used Indians before for some articles and the English is just not up to scratch so we have to be careful, proper English and grammar are of importance, it needs to make sense!

Nutty

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:03 AM   #52
bradmarcus

Send a message via Skype™ to bradmarcus

Google puts a premium on what they call "NATURAL LANGUAGE". No techno-speak and proper grammer and spelling are critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
@bradmarcus I agree there, I have used Indians before for some articles and the English is just not up to scratch so we have to be careful, proper English and grammar are of importance, it needs to make sense!

Nutty

bradmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 12:48 PM   #53
DavidHawke

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidHawke

Simone,

I agree with you, SEO seems to be a buzz word and everyone wants in on the action, (most of them haven't got a clue).

There are a ton of people passing themselves off as SEO experts and just ripping people off, many will get you ranked for completely useless keywords that no one is searching for anyway, if they can even do that.

I recently talked with a woman in California that has employed an SEO guy for 2 years, her website is on page 6 of the search engines, that is ridiculous!

I also talked with a guy that says he gets about 5 phone calls a week from people wanting to SEO him up. Most are just after a quick payday, they are the meteorologists of the internet, (they still get paid even when they are wrong most of the time).

Anyway, I just read an article from Entrepreneur.com that talked about this and while they made SEO sound way simpler than it really is hay had some good points and the one I liked best was, if you're interviewing SEO companies "get a detailed plan from them and don't accept vague answers"

This is so true, as with any good business, there should be a process to get the desired result, (in this case, top website rankings). No one can guarantee first position, but they can tell you exactly what they are going to do to try.

I show my clients exactly what I will do for them so there are no surprises down the road.

If anyone would like a sample SEO plan you can get it from my website, it is free and there is no opt in for it, just a downloadable .pdf.

I'm sick of the scammers muddying up the waters of this industry, they are making it difficult for everyone one else in the business.

Oh yeah, almost forgot to tell people where they can get the SEO plan, when you go to my website click on solutions/services and then search engine optimization and go to the bottom of the page, there is a link there.

At the very lease it should give a good baseline of what you should expect if you are looking at companies to hire for this.

Good luck with all of this.
David

DavidHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 08:24 PM   #54
lyrafire

I'm so glad to hear you guys saying that proper grammar counts. As a former college writing instructor, all I can say is: Woo-hoo!

Is there somewhere where I can find something that says Google weighs grammar? That information could come in handy for me. Unless you're strictly speaking of the difference between code and written English, wouldn't natural language include ungrammatical constructions?

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 03:05 PM   #55
Social-Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrafire View Post
I'm so glad to hear you guys saying that proper grammar counts. As a former college writing instructor, all I can say is: Woo-hoo!

Is there somewhere where I can find something that says Google weighs grammar? That information could come in handy for me. Unless you're strictly speaking of the difference between code and written English, wouldn't natural language include ungrammatical constructions?
Hey Lyrafire,

I'm not sure that Google weights grammar in their ranking algorithm... But it's a terrible user experience and makes for crappy content. As soon as I start reading something where the grammar is bad or it is in broken English, I hit the back button. And no one is going to link naturally to a site who's content is full of broken English, bad grammar and misspelled words.

I use SEO to drive traffic to a site. But it's the content that keeps the visitors there and coming back. It's the content that attracts natural links. It's the content that gets people to convert.

Old 15th October 2010, 03:13 PM   #56
lyrafire

That makes perfect sense.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 04:04 PM   #57
innermountain

I've read lots of accounts of people who's websites suddenly disappear from Google, and it turns out they hired an SEO firm that not only didn't deliver what they said, but their tactics ended up getting the site blacklisted! We've spent the time with our website to learn SEO and do it ourselves, and although it's been time-consuming I feel it's been a great decision.

innermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 02:30 AM   #58
kathyink

Default SEO is something that

SEO is something that is easy to learn, but hard to apply. The concepts are relatively easy to understand, but actually using the techniques and gaining traffic is a whole different level.

Old 6th December 2011, 03:55 AM   #59
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Everyone must have some level of seo to understand what is going on otherwise outsourcing is a comp0lete rip off

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 02:08 PM   #60
tradeshowdesign

Default In-House Seo

We've always done all of our SEO in house and rank on the first page for almost all our key terms in a very competitive niche. We've come close to hiring an SEO firm from time to time but they always leave us unimpressed with their detailed proposals. We've decided we would rather spend the money on a freelance writer who can offer well written articles that actually help customers. Keeping up with fresh content obviously then helps with SEO. If everyone did this then maybe we wouldn't have so much SEO driven filler text all over the web, just a thought.