Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Radio Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th December 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
D Capra

Default Radio Advertisements Work

The more a person hears your commercial the better. Radio advertising is especially great for branding.

I was negotiating debt for a company here in Chicago when the owner of the company aired an ad about debt relief of all things on ESPN radio. The phone rang off the hook.

Sometimes you just have to give it a shot and see where it leads.

D Capra is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th December 2008, 11:26 PM   #2
Francie Finn

Default Radio Advertising

I am glad that your advertising is working...in a down economy advertising help for bad debt always delivers great response. When placing radio advertising it is important to know the mindset of the listeners of that radio station, and the target demographic. When considering buying radio, make sure that you are advertising to the right audience at the right time. People tend to think about large purchases on weekend so utilizing a Thursday - Sunday advertising schedule is advantageous. Conversely, the beginning of the week people are thinking about how to improve their life, so advertising weight loss clinics, gyms or continuing education are best to utilize Monday-Wednesday schedules. This time of the week is also less expensive for radio advertisements.

Francie Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 10:17 PM   #3
D Capra

Great info Francie. Thanks

D Capra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 01:01 PM   #4
customtollfree

Radio Advertising accompanied by an easy to remember toll free number... what more can you ask?!

customtollfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009, 10:19 PM   #5
businessbeware

I definitely think it works but alot of it depends on the network too. I know that is terrible to say but what I mean is we did a commercial with a small radio station in FL that did nothing for visits and then we were interviewed by Home Talk USA twice and the visitors doubled. (which Home Talk is alot bigger than the other one I just mentioned) So overall it works, but make sure it's something you definitely want to do and spend money on and that it's a fairly known network. Good topic though.

-Ashley

businessbeware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 06:48 PM   #6
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

Home Talk was probably also more in-line with your target market.

One of the best ways to get the most out of your radio advertising is to align the station (or stations) you choose with your target market. Stations that your target market listens to are the ones you want to be on...

Old 27th March 2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Floid

What's your opinion on satellite radio?

Floid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2009, 04:02 PM   #8
BigChilla

The thing about Radio advertising is that it's expensive as hell, and you mentioned Chicago it's fairly pricey here! I was quoted $359 for a :30 second spot on an FM station, the catch was I had to buy 24 units.

So 24 x $359 wasn't something I was looking for this month.

An interesting thing that I have had results with has been internet radio - the beauty of this beast is that I can get a banner ad on the radio page with the on air ad. So I don't really need anyone to remember a toll free number. The cost for me was around $60 a week to sponsor a show that advertised to the type of demographic I was looking for. As a small business this was a nice alternative to FM radio (of course I would love to advertise on it in Chicago it was just too much.) I had to sign up for a 6 week package but through week 3 I made my money back and the name recognition I was able to gain from this site will hopefully pay dividends.

Of course this is only a good solution if you can find an internet radio site that has the demographic and number of listeners you are looking for. Sports internet radio isn't great for custom drum sticks, and football equipment isn't a great advertiser on unsigned musicians radio shows.

I'm a slave to Alexa so I just follow that ranking to see if the internet radio site is up to snuff.

So yeah, I've found internet radio to be very effective as far as radio goes, and I would love to make it to FM radio one day.

BigChilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 11:42 PM   #9
uyytuyt

Radio advertising is effective, but it's more expensive than online ads.

uyytuyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 06:53 AM   #10
champ

I think adveritsing things on radio is a smart move - paper ads can be read or not -it depends on the person's interest. Radio ad enters your mind without any efforts and thus is easy to be remembered later on.

champ is offline   Reply With Quote