Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th December 2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Jeremy

Default Questions About Google AdSense

Well I've been reading a few topics here and I realized I don't really know that much about AdSense.

What exactly is CTR and CPC?

How can improve these things to make more money from AdSense?

Thanks.

Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th December 2006, 11:42 AM   #2
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Welcome to the forums Jeremy.

CTR stands for click through rate. Very simply it's the number of clicks you get divided by the number of page views for an ad expressed as a percentage.

If 20 people view an ad and one person clicks your CTR is 5%.

It can vary from site to site, but typically you can improve CTR by blending ads into your site. You might want to use the same colors in the ads as are on your site for example. The location you place the ads can also affect your CTR.

The best thing to do is set up channels with AdSense and then measure what does and doesn't work. You might for example try two different ad types, maybe a banner ad and a skyscraper ad an try both on a page or on different pages and set each ad type as a different channel. Then over time you can measure which ad performs better and use that one more.

You can set up channels for a variety of things too, not just ad types. Channels will allow you to test different ads against each other for many different things.

CPC stands for cost per click. Sometimes you'll see it referred to as PPC or pay per click. It's how much you get paid when someone clicks on an ad. It might be better to think of it in terms of averages so if 10 people click on your ads and you make $10 your average CPC is $1.

CPC will be determined by what advertisers pay for the click. If people bid more for certain keyphrases those keyphrases will likely have a higher CPC. Bidding though is only one factor in how much a click costs.

Your average CPC will be tied into your topic since the ads you get will be what Google considers most relevant to what you're page is about. Some people will build sites around what they think will give ads the highest CPC, but I think most people are better off writing about the topic they want since you're more likely to be able to create content around a topic you know and enjoy.

Whatever your topic though, it's likely there will be niches within that topic some of which will have a higher CPC than others.

For example my own blog deals with seo, web design, general marketing, and I've found that some of my posts generally yeild a higher CPC than others.

You can set up channels based on URLs and see which pages (and topics) typically result in higher CPC and then write more content in that nich within your main topic. I generally just write what I want though, since the ads aren't the main reason for my writing, but finding high paying sub niches within your own nich might be a good way to increase the CPC across your site.

Also Google will display the higest paying ads in the ad block that appears first in your code. So using less ads will actually increase the average CPC of your ads. Of course less ads might mean less clicks so a balance may work best.

Old 28th December 2006, 07:39 AM   #3
netdebut

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't agree that "CPC" is how much you get paid per click. It's simply how much it will cost the advertiser for each click. And yeah, while AdSense is basing their payout on relevance of search term, page content and if it was pure traffic without search engine enforcement, it really doesn't tell you how much you are earning per click. You can get anywhere from almost nothing to only $1 now.

It's hard to make a lot of money through AdSense now without having a farm of a few hundred or thousands of repeating websites with non-sense content. I really don't find it profitable to earn a percentage of a penny or 2. It's quite cynical.

netdebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 10:20 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Hi Kevin, typically CPC is referred to from the advertiser's standpoint and the cost per click they pay. You are correct that Google pays a percentage of that. In vangogh's post he is referring to how much he gets paid on average per click. You can figure this out (on average) by dividing your earnings by the number of clicks to determine how much you received on average per click. Google doesn't tell you the cost per click and within the adsense reporting provides ctr and ecpm only.

You would be suprised on how much I have made on just one site. While you may perceive that those with hundreds of made for adsense sites are making the money, my own experiences are very different from what you describe. I don't disagree that what you describe exists - but there are alternative scenarios as well that do exist.

Old 3rd January 2007, 12:55 PM   #5
vangogh
VIP Contributor

That's true Kevin CPC would technically be how much it costs an advertiser, but given the question was from the AdSense side I used the term from the perspective of the publisher.

I agree with Logan that you can do well with one site. A lot of it will depend on what you put into it though. There are many variables within your control with AdSense or any form of contectual advertsiing and while you may not get rich right away you can still improve your revenue.

I think multiple sites is another way to make the system work as well. Like so many things there's more than one way to be successful.

Old 7th January 2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Nir

Send a message via AIM to Nir Send a message via MSN to Nir

If you don't have the content of quality and quantity (several pages), adsense probably won't work for you and you are probably much better off selling per page view rather than clicks. Clicks happen when users consistently interact with the content.

Nir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 07:07 AM   #7
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

Here's the recipe that's worked for me...

1 - find a topic you LOVE - don't start doing this for money, as that takes a while to develop, and loving the topic will carry you through

2 - start researching what's currently out there - chances are good, even in an almost saturated vertical, that you'll be able to find some niche to shimmy into

3 - start building content - unique content, written by you, because you love the topic and have some knowledge about it - shoot for 100+ pages to start with

4 - make sure that any time a page is put live (make them live as you finish them - don't make all 100 then dump them onto the server - *NOTE - this is my preference), it has Google Adsense on it - and follow their rules - max of 3 ads, plus one text link unit on a page - don't try to cheap this...and don't short yourself - put them all in place

5 - be sure to read Google's suggestions on how to integrate their ads for best performance - while not a 100% homerun every time, they know what they are saying and it's a great ballpark to start from

6 - did I mention building lots of pages with great, unique content yet? Better get on that one...

7 - become involved in the community - not your own, silly (though that's good too, but for other reasons), but the community your website targets. Find the posting forums and leading blogs and start becoming involved - post rational, well-thought out articles, be willing to share your knowledge and answer questions - it takes time, but pays dividends as other community members recognize your knowledge and spread the word about your site.

8 - link building...hmmm - I tend to shy away from active link building in all but a few rare cases. I prefer to build useful content and let users spread the word over time. My link building takes the form of my involvement in (literally) 50+ active communities for one of my websites topics.

9 - long-tail - stuck for what to build new pages for? Snag the little tool from Hit Tail and start seeing those really odd searches folks have found you for - then build pages to focus in on missed opportunities (warning - not EVERY phrase will be worth chasing... ) (Hit Tail tool at this URL: hittail.com)

10 - Be patient - it'll take a while for a new site to rank and develop traffic. In today's world, it's all about proving yourself - so plan on loving your work for what it is for the first 9 months or so - seriously. There is no quick path to money online any more.

Now, all this is well and good. Many folks know most of this already - some know all of it and more.

The real questions is - does it work?

Well, that's my recipe, and it works. You'll have to take my word for this, but I'm currently averaging right around the $1,000 USD per month mark from Adsense - with ONE website (and it's attached blog). Now, I know folks making more money, but hey - what would YOU do with an extra grand each month?

Me? I'm on the hunt for a 1952 Willy's Jeep. Naturally, the site is about Jeeps...

PS - if you're going to set up a blog, Wordpress is a good way to go - easy to install, easy to use, easy to optimize, plenty of support. I've used other platforms...and I'm 100% WP now.

...and for some useful tips on running your blog and optimizing it, Jennifer Slegg just posted a solid article this morning at Search Engine Land and it's worth bookmarking as a reference, IMO. (Jennifer's article at this URL: http://www.searchengineland.com/070109-141617.php )

SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

"building lots of pages with great, unique content"

Old 11th January 2007, 10:33 AM   #9
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Good stuff SportsGuy, especially about choosing a topic because you love it and being patient.