Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th May 2005, 07:58 PM   #1
trobinette

Default Business Idea

I have been looking for a business to start for a while now andI think I have found the right one. Could someone tell me what they think and give me some advise?
I am starting a business that specializes with everything in the home. We will do lawn care, landscaping, pest control, carpet cleaning, heating and air conditioning, home appliance repair and general cleaning. I know this sounds like a lot but I think these days people like going somewhere that does or has everything they need. I would like one day to start a contracter research web site that can give you name of local contracters that are close to you and give a customer rating. My brother and I have the experience with HVAC and general handy man work and my cousin has experience in lawns. This business will rely on knowledge more than anything. Hopefully it will take off and I will be the one giving advise.
Thanks
Tom Robinette

trobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th May 2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinette
I am starting a business that specializes with everything in the home. We will do lawn care, landscaping, pest control, carpet cleaning, heating and air conditioning, home appliance repair and general cleaning.
Great idea because there are so many opportunities to up-sell/cross-sell a customer. Also, I like the idea because of the repeat business from regularly scheduled services. For example...

-Lawn care weekly
-House cleaning every two weeks
-Pest control each Spring
-Heater check each fall
-etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
I would like one day to start a contracter research web site that can give you name of local contracters that are close to you and give a customer rating.
Awesome idea!

Old 19th May 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
trobinette

Thanks for the reply. I have had a lot of possative feedback. My vision is to be the Wal-Mart of home maintenance, but Ill be happy just working for myself and supporting my family. Again, thanks for the reply this forum has been a greaat help.
Tom Robinette

Old 20th May 2005, 05:58 PM   #4
sjb123

Default Good Idea!

These days people are looking for convenience. If they can get all done at one place that would be perfect. Take a look and www.improvenet.com. When I read you post I remembered an assignment that I had to do a few weeks ago. Is this something like what you are interested in doing?

sjb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2005, 06:55 PM   #5
trobinette

This is a lot like what I want to do. I want to have more of a home town feel. I should be able to do a lot by myself but for the rest I would like to have a contractor list for the surrounding area. As time goes on I would like to have different contractors working directly for me so I can garuntee lower prices and better service. I get worried about relying on other people to get work done when my name is on it or even associated with it. Anyway thank you for the site. It will be a lot of help in deciding what I want to do.

Old 21st May 2005, 09:55 AM   #6
jmjj215
VIP Contributor

You mentioned being worried about letting someone else do the work for you - I can totally understand!

I would suggest reading "E-Myth Revisited" for a good perspective on entrepreneurs starting their businesses - and what to avoid. The author's main thrust is that just because you have technical expertise, doesn't mean you'll like being your own employer. Mainly because what happens is you do all of the "employee" stuff, along with all of the "business" stuff and the business ends up owning you! However, he gives great guidance on how to AVOID this all-too-common problem.

Anyway, it sounds like a great idea. Run with it! And never estimate offering consistent, quality service at a competitive price. It will take you a long way.

jmjj215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2005, 08:30 PM   #7
Speed-Mixing

trobinette

I'm interested to know if you are talking about offering a referral service where you are more about matching up trades people and customers or whether you are talking about trying to offer a service where you try to do everything around the house. If you're trying to do everything, I recomend that you work out what you can't do well and so that you make money referring business when the jobs are to complex.

Speed-Mixing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2005, 10:09 PM   #8
trobinette

For right now I am going to being doing a lot of it myself. Between my partners and myself we have experience in almost everything. We have done everything from laying carpet to heating and air conditioning to lawn care. In the future I want to set up a website that will suggest contractors for the things we cant do (ie. Plumbing, Electrical, etc.). Everything else we can come out and do. For now if we can't do it we will try to find a reputable contractor at a reasonable price. After a while I should have contacts with a lot of contractors and just work with them. Maybe one day I can hire a full time plumber and electrician and just have them work directly for me. There is a company that does something kind of like what I want to do. It is called Service Magic. They charge the contractors a yearly fee to be on there website. I havent figured out how I want to do this yet. But I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Old 1st June 2005, 07:07 PM   #9
business ideas

Hi Trobinette

This isn't a new idea. It is one that works.

One idea that works in this kind of business is to offer one of your services that is commonly asked for at a low price or run something such as a special first time customer offer. This lets you get your "foot in door". If your company does good work, you'll gain the customer's trust and that is when you have a good chance at repeat business from them as well as offering other services that you may provide.

just my 2cents

business ideas is offline   Reply With Quote