Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th November 2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Bryan C

Default Questions About Signature Links

Need some clarification about setting links in signatures. I assume that the keywords I want to use need to be linked to my website pages but I was wondering if the words before and after the link are important or have any relevance in ranking.

Such as - Indianapolis "Link and Text" Contractor or do I need to include the words Indianapolis and Contractor in the actual link?

Am I making sense?

Thanks for the help...

Bryan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 24th November 2007, 11:41 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The surrounding text may count for something, but to be sure it counts, include in in the actual link anchor text.

My

--Torka

Old 25th November 2007, 07:27 AM   #3
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

But don't forget that it's critical to get the right key words in the first place! Things that people will be searching for.

Torka's absolutely right in what she says, but from what I've been told, her link is only going to help her SEO if people are searching for "nine yards".... or something.... Mind you, she knows more about this than I do!

S

Old 25th November 2007, 01:31 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

You're absolutely right, S. And if I were counting on my signature link here for SEO, I'd want to include my best target keyword in the anchor text of the link. But since I'm linking here for branding, not SEO, the name of the business is the optimal phrase to use for my purposes.

SEO isn't the only game in town.

--Torka

Old 26th November 2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Good question Bryan.

For starters, this forum's rules allows two links. So you might want to add another one. Setup one to your home page, and another to a specific page that is targeting another keyword. Or both to your homepage.

An example might be -

Bryan Corns - Indianapolis Contractor
Pressure Washing Contractor

Within the above you could have two links - one to the geographic keyword phrase (maybe going to a page specifically about indy services or a contact page with local info) and the other to your service phrase. Just a suggestion, as there isn't a right or wrong way to do it. That's the art side of things. I don't put a lot of weight into the surrounding text - although I think it plays a role in the context of the entire page (for example, the pages title tag, headings and other content outside of just the 10 words surrounding the link)

Old 26th November 2007, 01:38 PM   #6
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr

I'm right! I'm right.... let me tell you, that was the only thing I got right all day!

More seriously, if you've got time, could you explain a little more about what you mean (SEO vs Branding etc.)

Cheers... Simon

Old 27th November 2007, 09:00 AM   #7
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

A general comment about signature links... My sense is that they count a bit but not for competitive terms.

Here's a bit of data which demonstrates why I say this... Recently (end of October), I noticed that my forming an s corp site had dropped off of Google's first page for a couple of key terms, s corporation and s corp.

Some of the sites that jumped above them are what you'd expect. (Sites with tens or even hundreds of thousands of links.) But two sites really caught my attention. One site named s corporation dot com jumped above me. As far as I can tell, the site has (or had) a single link--though from a good trustworthy site: the Deloitte Touche alumni site. (Deloitte Touche is a big accounting firm, so a link from that site to a site about a particular sort of tax accounting classification seems pretty good.)

Another site was for a Washington DC area temporary staffing firm run by a woman named Sandy. She had named her site s corp dot com. I'm not sure whether the "S" stands for staffing or for sandy. But her site also crawled ahead of mine with a few dozen, er, modest quality links.

A couple of other points. Both of the sites mentioned above have been around for much longer than mine has. I think I've been around for maybe two years. They've been around for maybe 9-10 years.

Also, I have lots of junky, oh I mean, modest and low quality links. (Perhaps a couple thousand.) But I also have some pretty good links from business schools and from accounting and tax publishers.

Sorry to go on so long, but my take away is that yes of course links matter. But I was surprised to see an old site, s corporations dot com, with a single (albeit good) link jump above my site on the basis of (apparently) a good domain name. And I'm thinking the same thing is probably what's happeneing with the other old site, s corp dot com, which is also an old site with a handful of modest value links.

Old 27th November 2007, 09:17 AM   #8
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

I'm displeased with SE's policy of equating links with relevance. What it does is commoditizes links, then you end up with an implicit "link economy", so to speak, where links can be exchanged for goods, services, and currency. You might have an awesome & completely relevant site, but hey if you couldn't hussle those links then as far as the SEs are concerned, you're worthy of page 3077...

Meh.

Last edited by Sporkman; 27th November 2007 at 09:22 AM.
Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 02:05 AM   #9
rann

do you guys really think that signature works.

rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 02:18 PM   #10
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Simple changes to my signature on various boards have had measurable results to my Google ranking. I dropped one of my PressurePros signatures on an industry message board in lieu of a signature to a different business. Within three weeks I dropped to the second page. I restored the link and two months later am number one for the keyword phrase.

Spork, yes the system can be manipulated but it still works out if you think about it. The big players have the resources to create a high number of artificial inlinks (10,000+) The big players are big players for a reason. They generate profit and run successful business. Its an even playing field like any other form of marketing. I can run a 30 second ad on an obscure cable channel just before sign off at 3 am. If I want to advertise on Lifetime during the prime time or one of the networks I would have to considerably grow my business and work on becoming an established brand and authority.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote