Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th January 2009, 11:30 AM   #11
simonr

Send a message via Skype™ to simonr
Default Just for a giggle

I got a call (from India, as it happens) asking me if I'd like to link to a site which I happened to know is Google Number 1 for our keywords. In exchange they were offering me two links from shoe-sellers which between them didn't even have our keywords on the site!

I politely declined. Was I right?!!?

S

Old 9th January 2009, 07:41 PM   #12
johnpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lindstrom View Post
What is the question? Exchanging links (you link to me - I link to you) is not so effective anymore.I would not like to have my blog as a link farm with page rank leaking everywhere.There are better ways to do linking, like forums and blog commenting.
Yes the is the safe way for linking, you never want to buy to many links, Google is like big brother you know.

johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 03:10 AM   #13
Juliusanderson

Link exchanges have advantages and disadvantages from the point of view of those using the World Wide Web for marketing. On the one hand, they have the advantages of bringing in a highly targeted readership (for link exchanges where all members of the exchange have similar web sites), of increasing the "link popularity" of a site with Web search engines, and of being relatively stable methods of hyperlinking. On the other hand, they have the disadvantages of potentially distracting visitors away to other sites before they have fully explored the site that the original link was on.

Juliusanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 01:09 PM   #14
phanio
VIP Contributor

I have been contact recently to exchange links with companies in my industry - when I agreed, I found they put in the link (rel="nofollow"). I was not sure what this meant - but did not like the nofollow part. Can someone explain what this means?

Old 24th April 2009, 04:20 AM   #15
Reid Raynard

Link exchange is or should be a crucially important strategy for every internet business owner,as by using positive and relevant link exchange will prove to be the most accessible way to improve your web sites link popularity.By doing so,you will also achieve much better search engine positioning and increase your web sites traffic. Link exchange is also one of the most important steps in search engine optimization making link exchange an absolute must do for search engine ranking by any webmaster.

Reid Raynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 05:53 AM   #16
jlbra

Send a message via MSN to jlbra

Exchange link would be great to maximise exposure of both our sites and therefore increase sales for an company website.

jlbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 09:48 PM   #17
thunderbird

The quality of the site with link pointing to your site affects your PR, relevancy as well. So it is better to have links in high quality sites.

thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 03:13 PM   #18
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanio View Post
I have been contact recently to exchange links with companies in my industry - when I agreed, I found they put in the link (rel="nofollow"). I was not sure what this meant - but did not like the nofollow part. Can someone explain what this means?
It means those links don't pass PageRank in Google. They are visible to site visitors, who can click on them and get to your site if the link attracts their attention -- so, depending on which site they're on and how they're presented, they may be good for traffic -- but the link won't bring you any benefit in terms of your Google rankings.

--Torka

Old 7th May 2009, 07:02 AM   #19
colleentyler

Nice tips about how to exchange link.... I got some information from this thread... many more thanks for your ideas sharing.....

colleentyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 06:56 AM   #20
giorgioanne

More helpful thread, I got more ideas about link exchange,
Thanks for everyone sharing..

giorgioanne is offline   Reply With Quote