Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st January 2009, 10:29 PM   #1
rdonovan1

Default Payment Processing

I was just wondering if anyone might happen to have some suggestions as to where to find good payment processors and as to who might be good other than PayPal.

I am just wondering because I am having problems with PayPal due to a scam that I ended up getting involved with last year and at the moment PayPal will not recoginize it as a scam and have since closed my account and so far I have been unsuccessful at getting them to overturn their decision and to realize that they had a big hand in what happened.

rdonovan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd January 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
AndrewJ

You could try 2checkout.com or get a merchant account from your bank.

Andrew

Last edited by AndrewJ; 24th January 2009 at 05:36 AM.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:09 PM   #3
lordspace

Moneybookers

lordspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:18 PM   #4
justgowithit

Google checkout is another good option along the same line.

Were you using PayPal standard or Pro when you ran into issues?

Old 23rd January 2009, 12:33 AM   #5
tazz09

You could try Share-It

tazz09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 02:17 AM   #6
$$maker

authorize.net is a good payment gateway

$$maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
rdonovan1

Which ones are the best? I have looked 2checkout and from what I can tell they are pretty restrictive.

The types of businesses that I am currently in the process of starting are many, but are as follows:

1. Import/Export.
2. Selling Products to women.
3. Selling Products to children.
4. Selling collectables.

I am still working on the marketing plans and at the moment I am trying to find the financing to start each and every business, but at the moment since I have bad credit I am thinking that I am probably going to have to start out selling products to women, children and in doing the collectables thing.

Eventually I want to branch out into the import/export business.

I did have PayPal for a while, but due to some scams that I came across in which I was victimized my PayPal account is currently inactive.

I have noticed that Propay will allow you to sell on eBay and some people have told me that another good place to sell things through right away is Craigslist.

Old 23rd January 2009, 04:07 PM   #8
$$maker

was the problems with Pay pal "chargebacks" also how big of transactions are your running? You need to know about AVS verification so you dont have any fraud in the future. Feel free to PM anytime I will be happy to answer andy questions you may have about payment processing.

$$maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 04:20 PM   #9
justgowithit

PayPal (standard), 2CheckOut and similar services aren't quite the same as having your own merchant account. These services are called aggregators because they have a sort of umbrella processing account that they allow their clients to use.

The benefit to aggregators is that it's easier to get an account with them than it is to get your own merchant account. The down side is that they're less flexible and often more expensive (but not always).

The reason I noted that they're not always more expensive is because aggregators have few if any monthly recurring fees, where your own merchant account would have monthly gateway, statement, minimum and similar charges that you'd have to pay regardless of usage.

Also, it sounds like you're looking to start all online businesses. These are higher risk accounts by themselves and the credit requirements are more stringent. With these two strikes you can probably cross 'Import/Export' off your list as a possible business type. Import/Export business are notoriously risky. Even with perfect credit it's difficult to find a processor that will underwrite these accounts.

Product generally consumed by woman and children should all be considered pretty low risk, so long as your credit isn't too bad, your shouldn't have a problem getting an account for these. Collectibles can be shaky depending on exactly what you're selling, but again, it should be a big problem.

I'd suggest that you get your business off the ground using one or even a combination of aggregators like those suggested here while working on bringing your credit back up to snuff.

Old 24th January 2009, 10:51 AM   #10
rdonovan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by $$maker View Post
was the problems with Pay pal "chargebacks" also how big of transactions are your running? You need to know about AVS verification so you dont have any fraud in the future. Feel free to PM anytime I will be happy to answer andy questions you may have about payment processing.

The problems that I developed with PayPal related to a romance scam. I found out about PayPal because of eBay. For the last several years since 2002 I have been a truck driver driving truck over the road, but due to the nature of the industry I found that many companies were either not paying me properly or that they were just lying to me about different things.

Recruiters in the trucking industry are a lot like military recruiters in that they will give you the whole sales and marketing pitch just to get you in the door because they are desperate for drivers. After a while of that I started to look towards starting my own business and as a result I started trying to learn as much as I could about it all.

I initially got interested in the Import/Export business because I have been studying seduction and attraction and after having spent two solid years living in a truck on a full time basis not knowing anyone or even rarely getting out of the truck except for things like company business, food, personal hygiene and getting my mail, as well as maintenance and repars to the truck I started to get really anxious to want to get out of that kind of lifestyle and to get into something else that paid more and that allowed me the time to go out and practice what I have been learning from studying seduction and attraction.

As a result that lead me into getting involved with companies like SMC and from there I also got involved with eBay and even with a an adult entertainment company and as a result that all got me to think that my best way of getting out of driving truck was through e-commerce type stuff because I know that the internet is always on and given the way that the economy is many people are now spending more time online instead of doing their shopping offline because it tends to save them money on gas.

At one time a friend of mine who was a truck driver and who lived next door to me suggested that I sell lingerie to women and I thought was not such a bad idea, but I did not want to end it just there. His wife was from Mexico and given my interest in the Import/Export business I figured that one way that I could do things was to start out by selling SMC and other related products online, but I am not ending there either as I have at one time purchased a book called 'Marketing to women' written by Marti Barletta and in the begining of the book which is written by Tom Peters he states that over 80 percent of the purchases in the United States are made by women and I tend to agree with him on that because women tend to have much higher standards than most men and more often than not they are very discerning about what they buy.

They are also responsible for most of the purchases because they are generally the ones staying at home taking care of the kids and the families and as a result they are generally very savvy and discerning about what they buy and that tends to make them one of the hardest markets to sell to and that is why you really have to do a good job of branding, positioning, and marketing your product in such a way that it will catch their eye and to make them want to buy.

Due to some specialized training I have started to pay attention to the way that I use my languaging because I know that how you present the product to the customer can and often does make a big difference in whether they buy from you or not.

Many companies tend to take the hard line approach by basically trying to force the product on you instead of asking you questions to find out what is important to you and by creating rapport with you and as a result that tends to drive most customers away from you because most people want to think that the idea is their own and not someone elses. If a customer thinks that the idea was not their own then that generally leads to buyers remorse and that is not something that you want because that is generally bad for business.

Another thing that I have seen is that many companies do not really pay much attention to the area of customer service and more often than not they tend to end up with unsatisfied and unhappy customers because they did not stop to think about the customers time and instead they tend to focus on their own time and in my book that is a good way to drive down sales instead of increasing sales because customers can and do talk through network marketing and word of mouth and that is why I believe it is critical that you are doing everything that you can to present not only the product or service, but also yourself in the best possible light to your customers as that generally leads them into wanting to be repeat customers.

Last edited by rdonovan1; 24th January 2009 at 10:18 PM.