Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Radio Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th June 2008, 09:04 AM   #21
K&G

Thanks, Patrysha. It's so refreshing to hear some advice from someone who knows what she is talking about. I wish my ad sales people would just once come in and say 'I Have An Idea' instead of 'What do you want the ad to say this week?'

Actually, the girl who sells me my newspaper ads had an idea once but I turned pale and nearly fainted so she hasn't ventured to offer another suggestion. Whe wanted me to run my coupon on a page where deer hunters pose with their latest kill. She pulled out last year's hunting page full of little 2X2 pictures... ok, I realize that people hunt and some people would love to brag about their kill, but those deer had big eyes just like my little chihuahuas, and we are all about animal rescue and I just couldn't believe she thought that was appropriate. Anyway, now she just says 'what do you want the ad to say' and 'Wednesday or Saturday?'

Last edited by K&G; 13th June 2008 at 09:06 AM.
K&G is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 13th June 2008, 05:57 PM   #22
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

That is so sad!

Really, how much does it take to actually give a da** about your clients (and your job) enough to do it well?? I really don't get it!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to learn and apply these things.

Old 3rd September 2008, 04:05 PM   #23
barterzap

Default Radio or Marketing

Many people are afraid of Radio Advertising because they don't do it right and they don't get the results they were expecting.
Some people don't have the right expectations.

I have been in radio sales for about four years now.
I have done TV, Radio and Internet sales.

What I do is help my clients solve problems and develop marketing strategies.

When one of my clients buys any advertising anywhere, they call me.

I have developed relationships with local papers and other media to put together campaigns that show results. We start with print ads then a week or so later we start the radio spots. Depending on the budget we may do an email blitz or a mailing. We also try to set up the client at an event like a ball game.

Some people view that as counter productive. Why would I encourage my client to buy ads in a paper? Why not sell them more air time?
Because it is best for them at that moment. I do what is best for them and they trust me. They might spend $500 less with me this time around but they will be back for more because I have run a successful campaign and showed them they can get results if they follow my advice.

Before we start a campaign we determine what their overall budget is and what they expect to get out of it. This is where we guide the client to a realistic expectation.

barterzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 04:31 PM   #24
spencer

Nothing scares me about radio, I just can get better ROI elsewhere.

spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 02:47 PM   #25
jmatson

its hard to measure the impact unless you don't advertise anywhere else.

jmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 09:36 AM   #26
Michael Lake

Default Selling radio by qualifying - not "selling"

In my experience with clients looking to advertise, I wouldn't say there's been any fear of radio, especially since the price of radio is so much cheaper than TV. People look at radio as the cost-effective alternative. I would caution people against things like having the station do the ad themselves and accepting the schedule put together by the rep.

I think, however, the advice I would give you would be to NOT fear asking the question of your prospective clients. That's great that you can see their body language. Now take advantage of it.

Have their own interests completely in mind, much like an earlier post that said sometimes their advice is to not recommend radio in the proper context. I think that if your prospects see you motivated primarily to help them get more customers - regardless of the means - rather than motivated to sell them radio advertising, their resistance to you will start to melt.

As a sales pro, I have a bit of a contrarian point of view on sales. I do NOT think that the primary focus should ever be on selling your product. Rather, I think it should be upon learning about your prospect/customer, discovering their issues/problems/pains/fears and discussing the means for eliminating them. If your product does that, talk about it. If it doesn't, thank them for their time and consider yourself lucky for not having sold them something that won't work for them.

So perhaps the next time you see someone's body language say, "I don't want to be sold radio advertising by this person", ask them a question: "I'm always interested - What has been the most effective means yet that you've used to find new customers?". Or say, "You probably think I'm just here to sell you radio spots. I'm actually most interested in learning from you briefly about what has worked for you in finding new customers." If they are confused by that question or statement because they have been trained to think all salespeople just want to cram something down their throat, tell them that radio isn't for everyone, and you're more interested in finding out about their needs than just selling them a bunch of radio time. You'll be glad to get them on the radio if it is right for them.

If this makes sense to you, let me know how it works!

Good luck.

Michael Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 01:31 AM   #27
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

Thanks for the recent follow up posts. I actually left the station 6 months ago (in June) though and started my own small business marketing business (again).

Loved the clients...hated the management style - I was top salesperson for all but one month my entire time there but they were constantly on my case about spending too much time with clients, too much time researching, and so on...

Old 25th January 2009, 03:35 PM   #28
Logan
Administrator

Hi Patrysha, congrats on your new business. I'm sure you will be successful and happy working for yourself. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Old 27th January 2009, 09:26 AM   #29
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Thanks Logan :-)

It's not my first "kick at the cat" as far as owning my own business goes. I was doing this (marketing & promotions) before I started at the radio station.

I don't know what made me think I'd be a good employee...lol - I'm just too independent for that.

Actually, I know what it was - after 10 years at home and with the boys all in school, a "real job" seemed inviting. It was overall a great experience that put me in touch with some great business owners in a new community and helped set the stage for my new business - so all's well that ends well.