Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd December 2008, 05:30 AM   #1
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Question The Relevancy Of Paid Directory Submission

Every one is well aware of the unworthiness of free directory submission. But some people say that paid directory submission can help a website to get good ranking as these directories have good PR. What do you think about it? Is it helpful from the SEO point of view?

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd December 2008, 05:57 AM   #2
Mark Brown

Well free directory Submissions can work very well in my point of view, if you have a quality content in your site and working hard then no one can stop your site for getting a good PR...

Mark Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 05:38 AM   #3
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

thanks for your reply but i wanted to know about the relevancy of paid directory submission. I hope that someone will give me good suggestion.

Old 5th December 2008, 06:15 PM   #4
MarkJjezza2

Any link coming into your site will help. They don't penalize you for links coming to your site. You sometimes don't have control over that.

Directory submissions will help, but make sure you person submitting is only submitting to "do follow" sites, otherwise the links are completely useless.

Some directory submission sites have high PR, which will carry a little more weight.

-Mark

MarkJjezza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 06:10 AM   #5
pooja84

According to me, free directory submission is also good for building traffic, back links and it helps in getting PR. I have never tried for paid directories but if the quality is good and the moderator maintains it, there is no problem in submitting sites to it.

pooja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 07:37 AM   #6
sahota

Any kind of directory submission do not do any harm. But you should not waste your time if the page where your listing will appear is not indexed.

So just see the category and page where your listing will appear then find if that page is indexed by searching for that page URL. If its not indexed, just move on and don't waste time on that directory.

As far as paid directories go, I would not spend my money in paid directory other than YAHOO.

Getting into YAHOO gives lots of benefit as far as SEO goes and traffic as well. Also try submitting to DMOZ (Google Directory). But with DMOZ just take care of following steps:

1. Make sure your listing conforms to directory submission rules. Spend good time in reading those.
2. Spend some time in finding most suitable directory for your product.

Getting into DMOZ is bit difficult as their editors are volunteers and do not process entries everyday. So it might take lot of time before your listing gets added. But here is another tip: Every DMOZ directoy has an editor which is listed with link to profile of editor at bottom of the page. And there are several directories which don't have a editor. So if your directory do not have an editor, apply to be an editor. But only if you can spare some time every week to review other listings.

But one single entry in DMOZ will fetch more than 100 links to your website and few of them will be very high PR links.

I would stay away from large number of paid directories. I submitted to few when started business but no none of those pages are indexed in google where my listing appears. So money wasted. But thats just my opinion.

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 06:40 AM   #7
eproducts

Are you asking about paying a company to submit your web site to free directories or paying a directory site owner to have your listing upgraded to featured or just adding their site on their PR5 directory?

eproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 01:18 AM   #8
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

Well, I personally believe that we should not invest in inorganic search because this will drive traffic for a short period of time and after that your website will be lost all its significance. In stead we should take time and should engage in building organic links that will be a better choice for us.

Old 27th April 2009, 02:19 AM   #9
roof cleaning

IMHO paid Yahoo directory inclusion is a MUST if you are serious.
Incoming Links MUST be added slowly ....
Free sites like Merchant Circle and Show me Local are also good free things you can do.
Be PATIENT when building a web site link program ?
Seek out quality RELEVANT links.
Do NOT dump 1500 directories in a month on your site - or you WILL be sorry

Adding 25 directories a month is all I would ever do.
Once Google tags you - you are screwed with THAT URL

roof cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Chelsea Elm

Free directories have worked well for us so far, Can't see a reason for using paid directories yet!

X C

Chelsea Elm is offline   Reply With Quote