Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st October 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
josephmunger

Default Promotion Ideas For A Rookie Photographer?

I am a freelance photographer from Toronto. Though I am a decent photographer, I am still a rookie in using my photography skills for income. Other than doing some photo shoots for some models with recommendations from my friends, I haven’t done anything for financial benefits yet. I am thinking of starting a little marketing for my photography business targeting mainly photography for wedding and other events. As I am targeting only local clients at present, I guess printing advertisements must be my best option. I know of a company in Toronto named Clubink that provides good quality prints, be it brochures and flyers or other promotional items. But I would like some advice and suggestions before moving forward. How else can I improve my chances of having good business?

josephmunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd November 2014, 12:08 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hi Joseph, congrats on your new business and welcome aboard

For some great brainstorming ideas to bootstrap your marketing check out the following book. Free: The Future of a Radical Price

Old 3rd November 2014, 08:13 AM   #3
bjay99

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephmunger View Post
But I would like some advice and suggestions before moving forward. How else can I improve my chances of having good business?
Welcome! I am from Toronto as well. Photography market is very competitive and everyone with a camera thinks they can start a business. Having said that, the best marketers may not be the "best" in their technical field.

Having said that, first and foremost, have a website (I assume you have one). Make sure it is awesome. Secondly, for wedding leads, I would start by marketing to your network. Someone will get married in the next couple of months.

I am not a big fan of printing... where would you go? How many flyers do you keep?

Good luck!

bjay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Spider
VIP Contributor

I love it when I hear of new people starting their own business. Way to go, Joseph!

So, what is it you want from your business? Are you looking for something to keep you busy and pay a few bills because you are already independently wealthy? Do you want to be a huge success in fashion photography with photographic studios around the world? Do you want to be THE photographer to the rich and famous? How about being a member of the paparazzi (much vilified but tremendously exciting, I would imagine)?

Before you start on your business journey, you need to have some idea of destination. Because these first few years will set the course of your success. OTOH, you could work aimlessly, trying out as many different photographic fields as possible, just to learn about them. That's okay, too - as long as you understand that is what you are doing, knowing at some point you will make a decision on where you will focus.

For now, tell us a little about your dreams, your hopes - What do you want your future to look like?

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2015, 08:53 AM   #5
RyanTC

Default Marketing Tips for Photographers

Thank yous/Gifts {for word of mouth}
- Thank you cards – send one after each session
Get out there {for more word of mouth and visibility}
- Show up at local events, and with permission from the organizers, shoot photos. Get your website address out there by handing cards and posting the images online.
Get visual
- Have a website with best examples of your work, and keep it updated periodically.

Old 20th February 2015, 09:01 PM   #6
rupertsilva10

Why not start a blog mainly for your photography business? You can post your best works and work your way in promoting your blog. The social media is a good way to start advertising your business too.

Old 26th May 2015, 09:57 PM   #7
kevinqiu

Send a message via Skype™ to kevinqiu

Hi, so far as I know, many wedding photographers use elegant wooden usb sticks engraved with their studio logo to deliver their works to their clients, as well as brand their business.

kevinqiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 08:08 AM   #8
Celin_G

You can still advertise online by posting your ad on local pages/yellow pages. You can Google for sites like them. Offline, I would say start with your friends or people you know. Offer your services perhaps for wedding or whatever occasion. There are instances, like in weddings, there will be a slideshow of photos (taken earlier) shown during the reception. People will get to see your work. And then you can hand out your calling card to interested clients or whoever you see as your prospects. You start from there and let the word out. If you work is good, people should start referring you on particular occasions.