Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd August 2011, 02:33 AM   #31
samson smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by davaoprojects View Post
Hi! At the age of technology where everyone seems to be depending on the internet for information and business, is print advertising still alive and practical to use?
People need to know you have something to sell them. Connect the buyer and seller is what advertising is all about. Putting your message in front of the prospect and allowing them to evaluate it and take action. Print advertising is still alive. People still read the newspapers and magazines but the majority of your prospects will be online in these days. You should attempt to negotiate a hard bargain when it comes to print advertising. Be sure you get the facts on how many people receive the periodical it goes to print. Ensure that your ad is perfect before it goes to print because it can't be updated once it has been printed.

samson smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:40 PM   #32
DoodyCalls

Yes. It is.

Despite the rising trend in digital news consumption, advertising in print publications can still be an effective way to reach your target audience. Local newspapers and magazines are in serious need of advertising revenue and are often times willing to give businesses amazing deals on ad space. Additionally, purchasing advertisements can help you to develop relationships with your local publications relationships that can sometimes lead to publicity down the road..

DoodyCalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:21 AM   #33
dbldee

Send a message via Skype™ to dbldee
Default Print advertising

Print advertising may be very much alive but definitely undergoing some changes
Post offices are restructuring due to revenue shrinking
Magazines are also book publications are disclosing less advertising revenue.

Some forms of print ads such as the lowly business card is still effective
More care is now required with print ads to really determine effectiveness.

Is a yellow pages ad it still worth the resources, when there are alternatives?

If your targeted audience is largely local, a local newspaper ad, may be worthwhile, but search engines are also geared fully toward local search

dbldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 12:22 AM   #34
NVISIONtradesho

Although I wish it wasn't, print advertising is still widely used. It's amazing how many materials are given out daily by companies, but the truth is print ads are still alive.

NVISIONtradesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 08:05 PM   #35
dancorkill

Send a message via Skype™ to dancorkill

Through offline methods you can often reach a big audience that isn't searching for this information online yet. There are still more sales being made today through direct mail then there are online. Depends on your target audience of course, if its young people probably don't bother.

I've found that people I reach through offline methods convert much better. I think because I am the only person educating them. Online viewers have thousands of places to get information, offline I am often the only person marketing to/educating them.

Google direct mails the crap out of business owners with Adwords offers, Google places offers etc. Generally when Google does something it's worth taking note.

Old 9th September 2011, 02:50 AM   #36
hdm
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancorkill View Post
Through offline methods you can often reach a big audience that isn't searching for this information online yet. There are still more sales being made today through direct mail then there are online. Depends on your target audience of course, if its young people probably don't bother.
One way of making direct mail appeal to a younger audience is to include a QR code on the mail piece. With the rapid increase of smartphones, this can only generate additional responses.

Old 9th September 2011, 06:28 AM   #37
Neil D

I think print advertising is still alive in different niches. For some services people are happier to go to the classifieds than they are to go online.

Old 21st October 2011, 12:25 AM   #38
samson smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil D View Post
I think print advertising is still alive in different niches. For some services people are happier to go to the classifieds than they are to go online.
In this time, more and more people have gone to online for advertising but it is more cost effective and i think more successful. Today's print advertising is not dead. Yellow Pages directories and local papers are commonly used for local industries such as local restaurants, auto repair, lawyers, and contractors etc.

samson smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 01:30 PM   #39
mediamarbles

Print advertising is not only alive, but it is the BEST way to connect people to your real-world business and its online presence (e.g. your web page, your facebook, twitter, youtube, foursquare, google places, yelp accounts, or your mobile site).

The trick is to add small snippets of code to your ads that will enable this connection.

You can easily put a qr code to your print ad that will send people to your online mobile site, see a video, buy the product they see on your ad IMMEDIATELY, or get more info about you and your services.

You can also put a "Text-to-Call" or a "Text-to-SMS" message on your printed ad that will have the same effect as above.

Just some examples to show that Print Advertising is very much alive.

mediamarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:27 PM   #40
Kristiansen

Very much alive! I specialize in print advertising and my clients actually pull a better quality lead from print than their online ads. I place their ads in Thrifty Nickel and Pennysavers when their budget is tight and we do extremely well.

Kristiansen is offline   Reply With Quote