Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th January 2008, 05:15 PM   #1
CompletelyClean

Default Advertising For Employees

I have a small cleaning company and have more business than I do the employees to handle it. I keep finding employees off of craigslist but they do not seem to stay longer than a month or so. Does anyone have any ideas about advertising for employees for a small cleaning company. I am considering advertising in our local papers. What do you think?

CompletelyClean is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th January 2008, 08:56 PM   #2
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

Its called Dregg's List for a reason ;-)

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Have you tried using subcontractors (independent business owners) instead of hiring employees? You may find them to be more accountable for their work. Perhaps also try advertising on sites like Monster or Workopolis (not sure if those are in the US as well as Cda but worth a try ...).

I have a cleaning service come to our home once a week and the company uses contractors. It works because there is less turnover, they get to know the clients homes and the clients get to see the same faces over a longer period of time which builds a sense of loyalty to the cleaning service. Overall, the results are good (and I'm VERY picky ).

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 01:29 PM   #4
radiogirl
VIP Contributor

Send a message via MSN to radiogirl Send a message via Yahoo to radiogirl Send a message via Skype™ to radiogirl

I know very little about the cleaning business, but I recently interviewed someone who might be able to help you.

Elaine at http://www.elainesamericanmaid.com/ should be able to help you if you send her an email.

Old 20th January 2008, 01:45 PM   #5
enigmavaldez

Default finding good employees

Craigslist is ok, but to be honest, I've never really found any clients worth their salt on craigslist...most of them were bottom feeders.

So, perhaps the kind of employees you're getting off craigslist are those that are not serious either.

There are some studies that suggest that the reason people stay with a company is not money but because of recognition and the opportunity to advance.

If you're offering fair wages and benefits, I'd suggest looking somewhere else for employees. Think about who your ideal employee would be. What would their interests and habits be? My family and I owned a cleaning business some years back and we found that people who major responsibilities (married, kids, bills) had a lot more incentive to work than college kids. Also, a lot of retired people were good workers. They just wanted to work to have something to do. They were older and much more settled.

The cleaning business is not the most glamorous and a lot of people have a problem getting their hands dirty. Try approaching janitors that are working for a company during the day. A lot of them are not getting paid a whole lot and would love to do some extra work in the evenings and nights.

Good luck

Enigma Valdez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompletelyClean View Post
I have a small cleaning company and have more business than I do the employees to handle it. I keep finding employees off of craigslist but they do not seem to stay longer than a month or so. Does anyone have any ideas about advertising for employees for a small cleaning company. I am considering advertising in our local papers. What do you think?

enigmavaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 01:48 PM   #6
enigmavaldez

Default getting better employees

Also check out Joe Polish's Piranhha Marketing on joepolish.com he's a carpet cleaner, but he's got a program that shows you how to get qualified employees. The principles can be easily applied to the cleaning business. He's good stuff.

Best,
Enigma Valdez

enigmavaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:37 AM   #7
Label Printing

Yes, sub contractor is good alternate of hiring employee and i think local newspapers are helps to find employee.

Label Printing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 02:01 PM   #8
CorneliaCoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompletelyClean View Post
Go with sub-contractors. OR find anyone from you neighborhood.

CorneliaCoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2017, 10:25 PM   #9
Celin_G

I think it's reasonable to start local. Get anyone interested within your area. It's time and money saver, which is good for anyone that's interested.