Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Trade Shows, Conferences & Expos
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th August 2006, 04:21 PM   #1
foxdmatt

Default Share a Booth at Trade Shows

To help a new business gain exposure and create additional sales but keep costs down, consider sharing a booth with another company and split the costs. What do you think?

foxdmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 31st August 2006, 08:11 AM   #2
mktgbiz

Great idea.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 08:22 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Yeah, I think it can be a good idea. Some more thoughts related - of course, you have to make sure it is a good match. For example, you don't want someone who contradicts your offer for some reason. Outside of this, one of the benefits is the ability to cross market between the two companies. Each company markets the show and promotes to get people there, then the booth has both companies going directly to it. If you do this, take some time before hand to meet and coordinate how communications and boundaries within the booth will be handled. In my opinion, unless you 'should' have your own booth (i.e. large company) its worth a try if cost are an issue.... but may want to check with the show to make sure it is ok with the rules before purchasing the booth. You have to realize, tradeshows make their money on booths. Are you going to expect two company listings in their guide, two listings on their website, etc. That's the issue to me, but if you can get around it and still equally promote each business within the show and the show will let you ... have at it imo.

Old 5th September 2006, 12:06 AM   #4
foxdmatt

In response to Logan's post, I don't believe the second partner of a "share a booth" deal should ever expect to be equally promoted by the host. If the original contract included both partners, then that could be added in writing, but if this was a last minute deal and I was the second partner who was added, I would just be glad for the extra exposure. And yes, I would partner with a company with a related but non competing product. It would be the only way to go. Thanks for your thoughts, I love this forum.

foxdmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 04:05 AM   #5
MoreMobile

Default Most shows don't allow it...but try anyway!

Yes, it is a great idea....if the show will allow it, but in my experience, most do not.....but worth asking!!!

The one downside is that sharing a booth can create confusion for the people walking by the booth. If they are confused, they may just walk by rather than trying to figure out what you are selling.

MoreMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 07:46 AM   #6
pete
VIP Contributor

And you would only get one cheap little sign, not two.

I have seen sharing a booth at several shows. It was done from the start, since the signs would read company 1/company 2.

I've never done it myself, but I have made joint applications with suppliers with whom I am a dealer, so we would be side-by-side. Since they would sell only through dealers/resellers and never direct to users, these would work for both of us.

The fact that I sold other products was not a problem, where if I had simply joined them at their booth I would not have been able to promote the other products. Or, I would not have felt comfortable talking about other offerings.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 02:42 PM   #7
jvance
VIP Contributor

Here is an instance that worked very well for my company.

A few weeks ago, one of my manufacturers (3COM) invited me to share a booth with them. We are a preferred vendor for them in my area. The targeted delegates were from local school districts, and my company is new to the marketplace. If we were to put up our own booth, I don't think that we would have received half the traffic we did, because they came for the 3COM name (which is well established in the market).

I received about a hundred good contacts that I was then able to follow up with and show more of what my company was able to offer.

In this instance sharing a booth worked great!

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 08:50 AM   #8
AEugh

I have one small consumer/design/computer accessory product. Is it possible to have the just product and a small description of it and business cards/contact info (i don't have to be present) included in the booth of another company that is attending a trade show? Has anyone heard of companies that already do this? If not, what would be a reasonable offer to such a company to do this - if the booth is 10'x10'x10' and $2000, and I want 1cuft of space, then would $50 or $100 be reasonable?

AEugh is offline   Reply With Quote