Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th January 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

Default New SEO Technique's For 2012?

Do you have any new recommended technique on how we can do SEO?

Please share your hidden technique's

Thank you..

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th January 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Greg Pearcey

I'm fairly new to the SEO biz so you can take my advice with that in mind. For about two months I have been trying out a multitude of techniques to see how it affects my rank in google, here's what I found out.

Give and you will get
find people who are looking for your service/product in forums and give them some advice (good quality advice) if your service or product is any good then this should not be a problem. Also, leave comments on blog posts that pertain to your service or product. Try to leave a link or at least leave a link back to your site in your name, but don't force it other wise you could get kicked out for spam or get your post removed, which could suck if you spent a lot of time on it.

Stay focused
Do key word research or pay someone to do this (can be time consuming). Pick one and stick with it even if it looks like it's not working. I'm trying to rank for cheap college textbooks this key word phrase is very competitive and I didn't see any results for a month and was about to try another, then on about day 30 it started to show up. You can use some software like SEO PowerSuite, they have a free version, so you can see how you're ranking.

Numbers don't lie
Check your rank and check your analytics, but don't get caught up with it. Whether you admit it or not most of the people who visit your site will be you! Well at the beginning at least. So take some time off from your site, either spend 5 minutes a day on numbers or an hour once a week. But, your time would be better spent networking, helping others, or joining new sites.

Learn the basics
When you leave a link, some sites use html and some use BB code. A html link would look like this <a herf=".... while BB code (what this site uses) uses [ instead of < make sure you're using the right code. Always put http:// before your web address and always link to the same address. One website has about four ways to get to it for example;
www.wikipedia.org
wikipedia.org
www.wikipedia.org/
wikipedia.org/
these may all seem the same but google sees them as four different sites with the same content. stick with one www.wikipedia.org/

You are who you hang out with
Don't just post on any site or forum, spend some time on the site make sure there is no sign of any spam. This is very important, in just over a month I was nearly on page one of google for my key word phrase cheap college textbooks but I made this mistake, I posted on a site that looked legit, I thought I was posting on a page with 3 other comments, when in fact I was posting on page 13 of about 100 other comments. Now my site is MIA! If you even google my sites exact name dirt cheap college textbooks it won't show on the first page, but articles and PR will that I wrote on other sites. That's why it's good to give as these will rank high even if your site is not.

Quick fix
There are no quick fixes! You have to understand that google is smart, very smart if someone writes a post about a quick way to rank high in google chances are that you'll find it through a google search, which means it's already known by google and someone in google is saying anyone who does that quick fix is cheating jerk and should be punished.

What worked
Start writing PR, articles, how to's and post them on other peoples sites. Some good sites are squidoo.com, prlog.com, and tumblr.com.

From what I've seen google updates it's ranking daily and your site can move up or down that quickly. If your providing quality on your site and up date it regularly then your on your way. What I have given you here is an ice cube of the ice berg that is SEO.

Last edited by Greg Pearcey; 27th January 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Greg Pearcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 05:13 AM   #3
M.Rebecca

Google is attempting to roll out a series of updates to improve user experience. The latest being page layout update with Google penalizing ad-heavy sites....which means a lot of MFA websites will have to be kicked out of the way.

Google wants that if a visitor clicks on your website, he should be able to see a lot of visible content without passing through a slew of ads. So, the key is to make a website that offers valuable information in the first scroll.

Old 27th January 2012, 05:51 AM   #4
SanWay
VIP Contributor

Greg, thank you very much for your post, it is very interesting, i agree that we should stay focused, try to do different things, believe numbers and so on.

SanWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 10:22 AM   #5
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Rebecca View Post
Google is attempting to roll out a series of updates to improve user experience. The latest being page layout update with Google penalizing ad-heavy sites....which means a lot of MFA websites will have to be kicked out of the way.

Google wants that if a visitor clicks on your website, he should be able to see a lot of visible content without passing through a slew of ads. So, the key is to make a website that offers valuable information in the first scroll.
So preferably it will strike all those site that has a massive ad post? Hmm, thank you then for sharing this.

Old 27th January 2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Greg Pearcey

Your welcome, I'm thinking about adding some more content to it and fine tuning it a bit, then turning it into an article.

Speaking of google updates, I've been reading about google's updates, and read about how everyone's search is now customized personally to them whether they know it or want it. What that means is your site may rank differently for everyone on the planet no matter what SEO you do. There are two buttons near the top right of any google search (very hard to notice!)

If this is turned on (which it is automatically) then google shows you a custom search, you have to manually click the other button to show results that are not personalized for you. I don't think it is having too big of an effect right now, but it probably will in the future, unless google changes their mind which they do almost daily.

You can read more about it on Cnet they talk about possible being illegal.

Greg Pearcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 07:42 PM   #7
richjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemorrise View Post
So preferably it will strike all those site that has a massive ad post? Hmm, thank you then for sharing this.
I'm sure that won't apply to big corporations. Have you been on site like Nascar, NBA, NHL or NFL? They have a ton of ads. I'm sure they won't be harmed in any way, since Google favors big brands.

I think traditional seo is going to be limited and go a lot more social. +1s, Tweets and Facebook Likes are going to play a bigger role in ranking. They do now, but will be a lot more substantial.

I would focus on getting more likes, tweets and +1s this year.

richjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 07:01 AM   #8
M.Rebecca

You see its not about Ďnot having ads on your siteí. Google doesnít seem to have any problem with posting ads. Instead, the algo is after webmasters who hide relevant content below massive ad blocks. Itís more about prioritizing stuff while deciding on your page layout.

Old 28th January 2012, 04:48 PM   #9
daveb1
VIP Contributor

I think the future of SEO will revolve around a lot of what business pioneers found value in and that is putting out an amazing product with first customer service and content. Both consumers and search engines are getting smarter by the day and the ones that are truly shining are the ones that are the leading the way with well priced and innovative products. Make a good product. Advertise every way you can think of and let the rest do its work. People do not realize how much of SEO ultimately relies on the end product.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
josholswanger

Default Keeping the value of your business as important as important as your SEO rankings

I agree with daveb1 in the way that many businesses focus all of their energy on SEO and getting ranked in the top 5 on Google. Although that is an important and time-worthy goal, that's only half of the work to winning someone's business. The quality end product will provide sustained growth in whichever industry you find yourself competing in.

Josh O.

josholswanger is offline   Reply With Quote