Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th February 2013, 12:04 AM   #1
accurate.cygnet

Default How To Increase/improve Keyword Rankings Fast

Hello Everyone

It is one of the sites I am working on, I've been trying so hard to get the keywords on the top. But Somehow there's no improvement. I do the basic like directories, social bookmarking, the site is about DATA ENTRY, You think Blogging would be a good Idea. I am thinking to add a few more pages to increase the traffic.

I'd appreciate if you can provide me some of the suggestions for the keyword ranking improvement. Thanks in Advance.

accurate.cygnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:34 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

In a post-Penguin world, directory listings are unlikely to render much benefit. Most general directories don't carry much weight with the search engines these days. You need to seek links from a variety of other, legitimate websites.

Social media is a good start. While the links that you create yourself on the social media channels are generally not going to help you, the citations and "social proof" might at some point factor in to your rankings. And in any case, the exposure can lead to more direct traffic, which is a good thing.

More (better) content allows you to focus on a wider variety of keywords. For organic search, Google is looking a lot more at synonyms and phrase variations these days. In the old days, you might target a specific key phrase or two for each page. Now, a in the post-Panda content world, it's more important to write naturally, using natural variations of words and phrases, instead of "stuffing" content with repetitions of the identical phrase in "all the right places."

Blogging could be helpful, both for more natural content and for more links. You write an article referencing something you saw in another blog or on another website. Link to original site. In some cases, the person you wrote about may write a "reply" article, linking back to you. If you link your blog pages and posts to the rest of your website, this will help pass some of the "link juice" back to your other site pages.

Also, a suggestion: instead of focusing on organic rankings, try turning your attention to attracting targeted traffic. A good way to do this is by getting related (not competitor) sites to link to you, or by running ads on their sites. You're going to be looking for sites that attract the audience you would like to attract. When they see your link or ad on the other site, they may be inclined to visit your site to see what it's all about.

This kind of direct and referral traffic is typically more stable and reliable than organic search traffic, and since it is generated by a variety of sources, the loss of one referral source isn't a disaster. On the other hand, if you rely on organic search for your traffic, a single algorithm update can wipe out your traffic literally overnight.

My

--Torka

Old 7th February 2013, 10:15 PM   #3
borgninestallon
VIP Contributor

I think the directory submission, social bookmarking, web 2.0 submission works helps in improving the site rankings. But rather it helps in pushing our site keywords down only. I have experienced in past few days. My site rankings goes down steadily as i am doing article submission, directory submission, web 2.0 sites, forum etc.

Old 8th February 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

borgninestallon, frankly, that's because the kinds of things you're listing there are NOT valuable links. Those are all old-style link building tactics, some of which might have been useful some years ago, but which are no longer worthwhile now that Google has implemented Penguin.

Read my comment above. Directory submission is NOT a good link building strategy nowadays. General article directories are no longer considered particularly useful. Many forums have either implemented internal coding to prevent links from passing "juice," or they've been spammed so much Google simply no longer counts their links. (The same thing holds true for comment links on blogs.)

I have no idea what you even mean by "web 2.0 sites". I've heard of "web 2.0," which was a phrase used several years ago to refer to sites that used scripting to offer more interactivity. I haven't heard the phrase used by any real web professionals in years, though, and "web 2.0" never had any significance at all when it comes to link building. A link from a web page is a link from a web page. It doesn't matter if the page is straight HTML or "web 2.0" or PHP or .NET or whatever.

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh, but you need to hear the truth so you don't waste any more of your valuable time. Your link building activities aren't bringing you the results you want because the things you're doing are not useful these days to gain strong links from respected, high-quality websites.

--Torka

Old 10th February 2013, 11:37 PM   #5
BrettR

Default Some of the faster SEO methods

Some of the faster SEO methods include:
  • Links from high PR sites
  • High PR social media sites like youtube, squidoo, etc
  • Buying submissions in high PR directories

The web directories are quite effective if a) you can get your site listed quickly, and b) they approve it in the first place. Sometimes, you need to use the paid service.

I've gotten sites ranked in the top 10 as fast as 48 hours using these tactics.

SEO does require a holistic approach these days: on-page, off-page, link diversity, content diversity. You'll have to look at all these factors to see why your rankings are decreasing.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

BrettR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post

Also, a suggestion: instead of focusing on organic rankings, try turning your attention to attracting targeted traffic. A good way to do this is by getting related (not competitor) sites to link to you, or by running ads on their sites. You're going to be looking for sites that attract the audience you would like to attract. When they see your link or ad on the other site, they may be inclined to visit your site to see what it's all about.

--Torka
I like this idea.

Also, try three articles using the three best keywords blasted across the blog network.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

Frankly, I'd say social media is a good bet. Generate a fan base and engage them, getting them talking about you. It's natural and safe. Much more beneficial than chasing low value links, in my opinion.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 10:59 PM   #8
accurate.cygnet

Thank you everyone so much for such valuable suggestions. I also need to to generate a few inquiries, I've signed up in Manta, and I ma getting some good leads from there, Does anyone know any other sites like manta.

Old 13th February 2013, 11:02 PM   #9
accurate.cygnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
borgninestallon, frankly, that's because the kinds of things you're listing there are NOT valuable links. Those are all old-style link building tactics, some of which might have been useful some years ago, but which are no longer worthwhile now that Google has implemented Penguin.

Read my comment above. Directory submission is NOT a good link building strategy nowadays. General article directories are no longer considered particularly useful. Many forums have either implemented internal coding to prevent links from passing "juice," or they've been spammed so much Google simply no longer counts their links. (The same thing holds true for comment links on blogs.)

I have no idea what you even mean by "web 2.0 sites". I've heard of "web 2.0," which was a phrase used several years ago to refer to sites that used scripting to offer more interactivity. I haven't heard the phrase used by any real web professionals in years, though, and "web 2.0" never had any significance at all when it comes to link building. A link from a web page is a link from a web page. It doesn't matter if the page is straight HTML or "web 2.0" or PHP or .NET or whatever.

I'm sorry if this comes across as harsh, but you need to hear the truth so you don't waste any more of your valuable time. Your link building activities aren't bringing you the results you want because the things you're doing are not useful these days to gain strong links from respected, high-quality websites.

--Torka
Thank you very much Torka for the reply. I do appreciate it. I do social promotion on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. I'll start blogging within some days. I am thinking of doing content optimization as well. Basically my focus is to generate more and more quality back links for the website.

Old 13th February 2013, 11:31 PM   #10
guptaabhijit318

Keywords should be correctly put in your article for much better searches. Remember to add chosen key phrase in the headline of your post, first paragraph, and various subheadings as well as in the overview.

You must write your articles and select the key phrases by maintaining your visitors in your thoughts.

guptaabhijit318 is offline   Reply With Quote