Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2007, 01:45 PM   #1
eww

Default What Is Stumbleupon?

My site (not the one on my profile) is getting several "hits" from stumbleupon.com...what is it? From what I gather, it's a social network site where members vote on sites. Is this a correct assumption? So, how do I know if the visits to my site are from favorable or non-favorable votes from stumbleupon? Thanks.

eww is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th June 2007, 04:31 PM   #2
Crimson Fox

I'd recommend signing up for the service. That way you'd quickly understand how it is being used. It's free and enables you to see new and interesting websites with the click of a button.

www.stumbleupon.com/

I don't use it all the time but definitely worth the look.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 02:45 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

From their About Us page:
Quote:
StumbleUpon helps you discover and share great websites. As you click Stumble!, we deliver high-quality pages matched to your personal preferences. These pages have been explicitly recommended by your friends or one of 2,534,558 other websurfers with interests similar to you. Rating these sites you like () automatically shares them with like-minded people and helps you discover great sites your friends recommend.

Old 12th June 2007, 04:34 PM   #4
wisealma

Send a message via AIM to wisealma

Stumbleupon is actually several things. 1) Its a social bookmarking service. All of the stumbleupon users have the ability to give websites a thumbs up or a thumbs down as they surf the internet. They do this via a toolbar that they can download from stumbleupon.com, and install in their web browser. Stumbleupon.com tracks the votes and then uses that information later when a user clicks on a stumble button on that same toolbar. This will take them to random webpages that other users have given a thumbs ups for.

Stumbleupon also has other "myspace" type features where you can associate your account with othe "friends" via the stumbleupon.com site. This allows you to see updates they make to their webpages etc.

wisealma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 09:54 PM   #5
LBBMike

Stumbleupon is fun. Do check it out.

LBBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 12:17 AM   #6
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisealma View Post
Stumbleupon is actually several things. 1) Its a social bookmarking service. All of the stumbleupon users have the ability to give websites a thumbs up or a thumbs down as they surf the internet. They do this via a toolbar that they can download from stumbleupon.com, and install in their web browser. Stumbleupon.com tracks the votes and then uses that information later when a user clicks on a stumble button on that same toolbar. This will take them to random webpages that other users have given a thumbs ups for.

Stumbleupon also has other "myspace" type features where you can associate your account with othe "friends" via the stumbleupon.com site. This allows you to see updates they make to their webpages etc.
It's a great site and it's worth your time when you check what's in there.

Old 16th July 2007, 07:04 PM   #7
solid28
VIP Contributor

Default My brother uses it constantly!

My 17 year old brother is constantly showing me things he finds on stumbleupon. He finds all sorts of funny cat pictures. He really enjoys it.

Old 17th July 2007, 08:09 AM   #8
gibsonnerd

StumbleUpon is great...and can really jump your hit count. You should be flattered that you're getting traffic from it (that means that people have seen your page and given it a "thumbs up")!

I'd suggest creating a profile and playing around with it a little bit...

gibsonnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:26 AM   #9
WebDrops

stumbleupon is a social media site like many others as digg.com,del.icio.us,reddit.com...etc. this site basically helps u to manage the websites u like by bookmarking them. If properly used it can be very helpful to boost up ur traffic rankings (as all say)... i personally like it for the simple reason that it helps me mange my favorite sites and the most blessed thing is i can easily keep a collection of my favorite pictures by just marking a thumbsup

WebDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 11:28 AM   #10
changly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonnerd View Post
StumbleUpon is great...and can really jump your hit count. You should be flattered that you're getting traffic from it (that means that people have seen your page and given it a "thumbs up")!

I'd suggest creating a profile and playing around with it a little bit...
Yeah, StumbleUpon is worth signing up for just for fun, but if you "stumble" a few of your pages, it will give your site an extra benefit.

Another way to grow your traffic from StumbleUpon is with stumblexchange (search google for it). It lets you exchange positive reviews on SU with other websites. Now, I encourage you to only vote up the sites you find on the exchange that you like, rather than every one, but this still gives you a good boost on the SU site.

changly is offline   Reply With Quote