Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th September 2016, 10:22 PM   #1
KenzieM9

Default 2016 SEO Strategy

Hey guys!

There are a lot of misconceptions in regards to back linking and SEO today. Everyone is afraid of being penalized, but the truth is that backlinking is necessary if you want to rank in the search engines for competitive keywords.

I would love to talk about the safe ways to build backlinks to your website:

1) Diversify your anchor texts:

Make sure to use a mixture of both keyword specific and natural/branded anchor texts. Keyword specific anchor texts help increase authority, but too much of a specific keyword can cause rankings issues.

A good ratio I typically like to go by is 80/20. 80% naturally branded and 20% exact match. However, this depends on your niche market and how competitive it is also

2) Build "In-Content" relevant links.:

Sidebar/footer links are GREAT for authority, but if you are scared of getting penalized don't do too many of these and just stick to in-content blog type links.

Try to get links that are in articles/content on other websites.

These are links on websites that are relevant to your website/niche market.

3) Optimize your On-Site SEO:

Backlinks are great, but if you don't have the authoritative content on your website that is optimized for your keywords then Google isn't going to rank you. Make sure your keywords and keyword variations.

4) Be Consistent!

I cannot stress this enough. If you are looking for real SEO results, make sure you are being consistent with your link building. These constant "referrals" will increase the amount that Google trusts your website. Make link building a part of your monthly marketing campaign and over 2-3 months you will see great results.

Remember, at the end of the day try to make your backlinks look natural

If anyone has any questions or other ideas, feel free to respond or reach out!

Old 30th September 2016, 08:05 AM   #2
ThinkingCapital

Thanks for the guide!

ThinkingCapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing! Good stuff

Regarding "Try to get links that are in articles/content on other websites."

Let's all admit ... easier said than done. So how do we go about attaining links? What tactics do you use? Please share.

Here is an oldy but goody that still works in 2016

The Easiest Links You'll Ever Get for Your Link Building Campaign
Anyone who has ever spent time on a link building campaign knows how much work it is to create content, build a pitch list and contact people to see about getting the link. Nonetheless, links are essential currency in the land of search engine optimization. I'm willing to bet if you had a chance to pick up links without much more than a friendly email you'd jump on it, right?

Matt Cutts points out that very chance in a post on his blog. In "Free links to your site," Matt talks about a new feature that's been added to Google's Webmaster Central. According to Matt, the new feature "lets you see who is linking to your 404 pages." See more at http://www.searchengineguide.com/jen...l-ever-get.php

Old 30th September 2016, 11:43 AM   #4
KenzieM9

Default In-Content Links

Thanks for the article! I think that's a great way to get some links that may already be in place.

For In Content Links:

There are 3 main ways I like to get "In Content" links:

1) Tiered Link Building: Using in-content blogs on Web 2.0 blog websites. However, since these are newer websites I then back up these blogs with even more links (social bookmarks etc.). It passes the link juice to my sites without pointing potentially hazardous links right at my money site.

2) Guest Posting: This obviously requires manual outreach and a lot of work, however there are Guest Posting services out there where you can buy Guest Posts.

3) Press Releases:This is kind of old school, but it's a great way to get a massive amount of links! I usually like to make these links be no follow and naturally branded though so they don't look to spammy. They're pretty good for balancing out link profiles.

I'm not going to lie, I do purchase these types of links as well

Any thoughts on the effectiveness now a days of sidebar/footer links? I've been finding that they can still be really effective as long as the site is somewhat relevant and has a good DA.

Old 30th September 2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

I think links in general are going to be good if from a relevant site with good DA. But - paid links, in the same circumstances, can be a slippery slope because of the never ending recurring costs and specifically stated to be against google's guidelines. a no no and forewarned.

Couple more thoughts ...

Deep Linking - Don't just get links to your home page. Target deep links throughout your website using relevant keywords for each.

Internal Linking - Consider the link text you use within your own website's links. And are your most important keywords/pages also linked to most frequently within your own website?

I think the above can signal a "theme" to google about your site. Semantics.

Old 30th September 2016, 01:10 PM   #6
KenzieM9

I definitely agree with that! Always try to build things out as naturally as possible.

Deep linking on various sites is great for targeting keyword specific landing pages as well

Old 1st October 2016, 05:23 AM   #7
Thirumuguran C

i agree with your points, contents always have an important place in seo. as you have mentioned its important to concentrate on anchor text, having attractive anchor text help to improve the click rate.

Thirumuguran C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 10:00 PM   #8
Williams Reus

Good job, continue to promote. Thanks for sharing

Williams Reus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 07:59 AM   #9
erikathomson
VIP Contributor

I think we should try to focus more and more on content optimization and on page optimization. if we can generate good content then everything gonna be very easy. likwe even link building will not be that tough.

Old 12th October 2016, 01:09 AM   #10
sidrawat

Default SEO strategies 2016

Hi everyone,

@KenzieM9. I completely agree with your explanation, especially natural backlinks. As Google penguin update already removed unnatural backlinks from the search engine. This is the reason we have to be consistent as well as work more on ethical SEO.
Thanks

sidrawat is offline   Reply With Quote