Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th February 2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Spradle

Default "Pinging" Your Blog?

Four questions:

What exactly does pinging do for my blog?

Do I have to include the "ping link" that the ping website gives me in my own websites content?

Is there any particular ping website that is better than the rest, and why?

Should I be pinging on multiple websites?

You help, discussion and input is very greatly appreciated.

Old 17th February 2011, 11:51 AM   #2
DartThrow

Default Pinging Your Blog...

In blogging, ping is an XML-RPC-based push mechanism by which a weblog notifies a server that its content has been updated.[1] An XML-RPC signal is sent to one or more "ping servers," which can then generate a list of blogs that have new material. The technology was first introduced by Dave Winer to Weblogs.com in October 2001.[2] Today, most blog authoring tools automatically ping one or more servers each time the blogger creates a new post or updates an old one (source: .wikipedia.org)

In simple terms, "pinging" is the simple act of alerting other websites that new content has been published on your blog.

The Primary purpose of pinging your blog is two-fold: 1. to generate internet traffic to your blog, 2. to build backlinks to your blog.

Most wordpress blogs will automatically ping http://rpc.pingomatic.com/ every time new content is posted.

Many experts would agree that you should ping as many available resources as possible when you add new content.

One way to do this effectively is to use a service such as pingler.com, pingoat.com, or pingomatic.com.

I would suggest using pingler.com and adding their plugin to your blog to ensure that your content is "pinged" on a regular basis.

Hope this helps,

Jimmy

DartThrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Spradle

Hey I appreciate that Jimmy, one thing I am still unclear of though. . .

I have been pinging my blog on feedshark.com. and step three of their process is to include their link (not necessarily their link, but a link of some sorts ) In my content, or my code. I am just wondering what this does for me?

Old 19th February 2011, 03:27 PM   #4
jaairey
VIP Contributor

It is basically a quid pro pro. You get a free service and they get an inbound link from your site. This is quite a common. Another example is blogcatalog.

If you are using wordpress you can install the plugin cbnet Ping Optimizer. This stops you re-pinging everytime you re-edit a blog post. This is useful if you tend to re-edit several times to fix typos etc in posts, since re-pinging multiple times can be tagged as spam.

jaairey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Spradle

Another question:

Pinging my blog builds backlinks?

How (in simple stupid spradle terms) does this work?